Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Next C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2019 | 05:32 PM

2018 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by superswiss
That's not really why these kinds of cars go AWD. It's about being able to put down the power effectively even on bone dry roads and the drift mode gives you full on RWD for hooning around. Nobody buys a Lamborghini Huracan as their winter car. An AWD high performance car has its charm. I live in Northern California and unless I decide to go up to the mountains, snow is only something I see on pictures, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the rear-biased quattro system in my current RS5. There's a level of confidence and enjoyment that comes with actually being able to use all the power the car makes blasting down my favorite canyon road and just brushing off gravel or wet spots on the road. I do enjoy RWD, and I'm looking forward to being back in an RWD, but to be honest, I wish the current C63S came with the 4Matic+ system from the E63.
My point is, I don't want AWD when the weather doesn't demand it. Sometimes a little lack of confidence = fun.
Old 05-01-2019 | 05:40 PM

2018 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Xec
I don’t think he’s implying that, since traditionally a V12 is “better” than a V8 and is the highest-end model.

[color=#333333]

How can you possibly say AMG is not defined by their V8? Yeah maybe not dictionary defined, but since the beginning they’ve been known for their V8 engines. “V8 Biturbo” marketing and plaques everywhere on their products. Especially on some of the earlier cars, the only thing good about them was the engine. They couldn’t touch the handling of BMW M but the V8 has been their bread and butter.

Also for the record I’ve never heard anyone complain about pops and crackles. Only complaints that’s there’s not more of them.

It’d be a huge mistake for AMG to skip a V8 in the next C63.
I would say AMG is defined by their V8. The Red Pig was the first AMG to race, with a 6.8L V8.
Old 05-01-2019 | 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Chigs
My point is, I don't want AWD when the weather doesn't demand it. Sometimes a little lack of confidence = fun.
And that's the beauty of 4Matic+ that you can put it in 2WD drift mode, completely decoupling the front axle.
Old 05-01-2019 | 09:07 PM

2019 C63 s
Drive a Nismo GT-R and you might change your mind.
It rattles and is pretty rough, but fun as hell to drive and grip for days.
Old 05-01-2019 | 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
That's why you park the C63s for winter, and drive Audis.
Old 05-01-2019 | 11:24 PM

2018 C63SA Cabriolet
This post got highjacked: it was about going from RWD to AWD and suddenly it's all about going from V8 to 6. Mods, please sort it out and split it into separate posts.
Old 05-02-2019 | 10:35 AM

2018 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by C6Jeff
This post got highjacked: it was about going from RWD to AWD and suddenly it's all about going from V8 to 6. Mods, please sort it out and split it into separate posts.
Actually, it was about both. Engine downsizing because the current V8 would only get more power with electrification and the possible Inline 6 for the C63 with electrification. Then the article mentions how customers want AWD.
Old 05-02-2019 | 11:37 AM

C63S EDITION 1
Agreed. It fun having all the power but sometimes when I want to put the power down it could use help. Especially in track days.

Originally Posted by raudiace4
If they go AWD with the "drift mode" like the E63, that would not be a bad thing. These cars could use help putting the power down.
Old 05-03-2019 | 11:29 AM

2018 C63SA Cabriolet
Actually, it was about both. Engine downsizing because the current V8 would only get more power with electrification and the possible Inline 6 for the C63 with electrification. Then the article mentions how customers want AWD.
Show me where it's about any of that:

Mercedes-AMG boss Tobias Moers has revealed that it plans to discontinue the rear-wheel drive configuration in favor of all-wheel drive. Speaking to Autocar, the head of Mercedes-Benz'sperformance division points to slowing demand for rear-drive cars.

"Customers have given us the answer, and most want four-wheel drive," Moers said. "Back in the days when we had an AMG E-Class as rear-wheel drive and with four-wheel drive as an option, over 90 percent chose 4WD. In the new E 63 with drift mode, you have a real rear-wheel-drive car but with four-wheel drive also." AMG's new all-wheel drive system with drift mode, which sends up to 100 percent of power to the rear wheels, should proliferate to future AMG vehicles.

Even the brand's halo sports car, the AMG GT, is expected to get all-wheel drive. "When I ask customers about the GT, they ask me about all-wheel drive. Regarding our competition, this is the downside of the AMG in terms of usability. People in Munich, for example, always, always ask for four-wheel drive - I think it's for safety and stability," stated Moers.

The news of AMG-badged vehicles moving to all-wheel drive doesn't come as a surprise because nearly every model it currently offers puts power down through all four wheels. The C 63, C 63 S, SL 63, SL 65, S 65, and AMG GT are the only rear-drive models left. Moers confirmed that the S 65 Final Edition marks the end of V-12 engines at AMG. "We're still responsible for V-12s - maybe Maybach is going to use them in the next-generation S-Class, but not AMG. Having a high-powered competitive V-12 would be a new engine, and in the new times there is no room to do that," Moers said. He also revealed that the 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8 will only get more power through hybridization via an electric motor mounted in the rear. That hybrid system is expected next year in the AMG GT Four-Door Coupe.

With the S 65 ending production and the SL roadster about to enter a new generation, the C 63 and AMG GT could be the last AMG models to come in rear-drive configuration. Once Mercedes-Benzredesigns the C-Class, it's likely that the C 63 will join the all-wheel drive club.
Moers also confirmed that the next-generation Mercedes-Benz SL will use the current AMG GT's platform. "Totally different car - It's a sports car," he told Autocar. AMG has been tasked with running development of the next generation SL so it's no surprise that it will deviate from its current grand tourer mission and become sportier.
Old 05-03-2019 | 12:48 PM

2018 C63S Sedan
You just quoted it.
Old 05-03-2019 | 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
I've got to say that the V8 is certainly a big factor, however, there are good sounding 6 cylinder out there and if anyone can make one sound great and emotional, then AMG. I do feel they'll have to step up the game, though. I don't find the C43 is there with the sound. A good sounding 6 cylinder is the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio for example or the Jag F-Type. However, I've posted this on the similar thread in the C43 forum, V8 or not, these cars will get quieter. Aside from fuel economy standards, the EU has also passed and put in effect much stricter exhaust noise regulations. The limit used to be 85 db (A), but in 2016 a new law went into effect that lowered it to 74 and it will get progressively lower until 2026 when the limit will be 68. Pops and bangs will be a thing of the past at least with the street modes. Race may add them back, but if you get caught in Europe driving in Race mode on the streets, they'll confiscate your car. They are already cracking down in places like Hamburg if they catch you driving in the city with the valves open.

How can they possibly know? Even if they do give you the ticket, there is no way it would hold up in court.
Old 05-03-2019 | 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by munis
How can they possibly know? Even if they do give you the ticket, there is no way it would hold up in court.
Trust me it will. In Germany at least. If they suspect your car is too loud, they'll pull you over and measure the noise level right on the spot, then they order a tow and confiscate the car to be inspected by a qualified technician for any exhaust modifications or noise violations beyond what the car was certified for from the factory. There's a special task force in Hamburg for example that just cruises around with their windows open, looking for violators. The owner has to pay several hundred Euro just for the inspection even if it turns out that the car meets regulations. They'll get the car back a few weeks later and have to make the necessary repairs and then show up for a final inspection. The new noise regulations for example don't allow exhaust valves to open below 80 kmh anymore, so they will check if the valves opens up when the car idles and measure the noise. The USA is super lax in comparison, and many of these things don't fly here due to requirement of probably cause etc., but with these cars being manufactured by EU companies, you bet that they will follow EU regulations. Maybe the USA will get different programming that still allows the exhaust valves to be open at all times.
Old 05-03-2019 | 05:25 PM

2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
The rules are changing on everything.... and eventually will probably be all electrics anyway- but that's not anytime soon. I have been cross shopping C63S vs the (Slightly faster 6 cylinder 4WD Audi Rs5). Seems the RS5 is more "Euro Forward" in that it is a high potent 6 cylinder in place of the 8 that it had- RS5 is "quieter" than it used to be but has some nice sounds but not near the sounds the C63S puts out- but the RS5 can cut up a back road with its AWD like nobody's business. I like the looks of both but maybe the C63 even more?
Its a tough decision- they are about the same price and I am so torn- I can afford a V8 but would pick a V6 and go FASTER in the 6? AM I insane? The C63s has way more "goodies" with the excellent drive selections on the steering wheel (PERFECT) and it has the V-8 LOL.
I am so torn- both are excellent cars- both are almost identical prices- I personally like the seat comfort in the RS5... Cant go wrong either way but...
Old 05-03-2019 | 08:55 PM

2010 BMW M3, 2010 Lancer Evolution X, Incoming 2020 C63S Coupe
RS5 is "faster" in the sense that it's quicker to 60 mph. The c63 will roll past the RS5 as speed increases. I test drove every car in this segment before deciding on the c63 due to it's V8.
Old 05-03-2019 | 11:34 PM

2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Originally Posted by JPM-3
RS5 is "faster" in the sense that it's quicker to 60 mph. The c63 will roll past the RS5 as speed increases. I test drove every car in this segment before deciding on the c63 due to it's V8.
Manufacturer claims from both 0-60mph:

audi rs5 3.8 seconds

c63s coupe 3.7 seconds

Old 05-04-2019 | 12:51 AM

2019 C63 s
I don’t know guys. If speed was the only factor I’d just get a Nissan GT-R or Z06. Then I’d be fast but dealing with rattles from the trans(GT-R and I know, it’s normal) or get a Z06 and learn to love the plastic everywhere.
I bought my c63s for the whole package:
Speed, handling, relatively comfortable in the normal mode setting and there is a bit of elegance to the design interior and exterior.
Leather or metal everywhere it should be and then theres that v8...enough said about that one.
I think it felt a little higher quality than the Audi and it just felt like a more fun to drive car in beast modes. I drove them both as well as looked at Cayman, ZL1, Alfa Quad, and F-Type R.
ZL1 felt cramped.
Alfa has no track record and I just didn’t trust reliability- sorry Alfa.
F-Type R didn’t have the performance it should have but looked great.
To be honest, if I had found a Cayman GT4 I might have gone that route.
Old 05-04-2019 | 09:42 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by GordonGEICO
I've thought about this a lot and can't land on a single car that I'd actually like to replace the C63 with. Everything seems compromised in some way by not having a V8 and/or not having the daily practicality. I can't do the two-seat sports car thing anymore.

AMG will probably never make an E63 coupe since it would cannibalize the S63 coupe and wouldn't be a big sales hit either. The BMW M850i (and possibly M8, if they make one) is the only seriously interesting car out there other than the C63 for me at the moment but it's 500 lbs heavier and $40k more than the C63, which is a heavy car itself.

I won't say I would never drive a C63 with a hybrid + six-cylinder, but it would definitely make me take a harder look at other cars out there first. Right now the only other car I would consider is the Audi RS5. The M4's interior feels dated and I hate how that car sounds, both inside and out. The Giulia needs another generation or two and foldable rear seats.
The V8 was the deciding factor for me, too. The sound of a V8 in the background had become part of my DNA or subconscious. But why would the M5 not be on your short list? This is what I am thinking about.
Old 05-04-2019 | 10:06 AM

C63BS
There's no question an AWD hybrid turbo 6 cyl will be an amazing car, maybee even a better can then the v8 c63.

The problem is that it's a compromise car, compromised to satisfy more ppl in more environments and satisfy the environment itself.

And as we know, compromise cars simply are never as fun as highly focused uncompromising cars. That's just the way it is.

A ferrari 488 will always be more fun then a Ferrari California. A Porsche gt3 will always be more fun then a Macan.

The v8 c63 is probably gonna always be more fun and soul stirring then a hybrid 6. But it will likely be less capable and usable then the 6.
Old 05-04-2019 | 03:01 PM

2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
Originally Posted by DRGG
The V8 was the deciding factor for me, too. The sound of a V8 in the background had become part of my DNA or subconscious. But why would the M5 not be on your short list? This is what I am thinking about.
RE: M5 - I prefer a coupe. It'll be interesting what the M8 looks like but the 8-series seems to be competing with the S-class coupe at this point in terms of price so I'm sure an M8 would be $150k+.
Old 05-04-2019 | 05:44 PM
Xec

IG: @amg.svr
On the bright side, 991.1 GT3's are coming down around the $115K mark. If I get any 6-cyl, it should be that NA flat six
Old 05-06-2019 | 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Originally Posted by Xec
On the bright side, 991.1 GT3's are coming down around the $115K mark. If I get any 6-cyl, it should be that NA flat six
Exactly this. Most likely going to be my next car. If it's going to be a 6, then it must be a Porsche flat 6.
Old 05-06-2019 | 05:50 PM

2021 C63S coupe
Grab it while you can.