Is the coupe going away?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 335i Coupe, 2016 M3 Comp
Is the coupe going away?

Hello Everyone,

As it states in the title, is it true the C class coupe is getting removed from the North Amercia lineup? If so, that's very troubling.

Thanks much!
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,961 Likes on 2,639 Posts
2019 C63CS
Specific models that will go on the chopping block haven't been announced yet, but at a meeting in Las Vegas on May 8, Mercedes told US dealers that they are going to trim the US offerings to reduce complexity and also simplify the options. Some poor selling options may no longer be offered and the best selling options might become standard. The press has speculated that the coupes could be eliminated due to their niche status and general lower sales numbers. We might see specific announcements in the next 90 days. Changes are definitely coming. All the German car manufacturers are under pressure to cut cost and invest in electrification. The EU just had their parliamentary election this past weekend, and the Green Party for the first time got the second largest number of seats in Germany. I had long discussions with the rep at the MB Delivery Center and at AMG the next day. The mood here in Germany is not all that upbeat about the future of the car industry. I would say if you want an AMG as we still currently know them, I would get it now. The next generation of the C63 will be very different and it may not be offered as a coupe anymore. BTW, Dieter Zetsche after some 40 years at Mercedes has just retired as Chairman of the Board, so who knows what changes will be coming from the new Chairman.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-31-2019 at 03:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NYCSoiL (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by superswiss
Specific models that will go on the chopping block haven't been announced yet, but at a meeting in Las Vegas on May 8, Mercedes told US dealers that they are going to trim the US offerings to reduce complexity and also simplify the options. Some poor selling options may no longer be offered and the best selling options might become standard. The press has speculated that the coupes could be eliminated due to their niche status and general lower sales numbers. We might see specific announcements in the next 90 days. Changes are definitely coming. All the German car manufacturers are under pressure to cut cost and invest in electrification. The EU just had their parliamentary election this past weekend, and the Green Party for the first time got the second largest number of seats in Germany. I had long discussions with the rep at the MB Delivery Center and at AMG the next day. The mood here in Germany is not all that upbeat about the future of the car industry. I would say if you want an AMG as we still currently know them, I would get it now. The next generation of the C63 will be very different and it may not be offered as a coupe anymore. BTW, Dieter Zetsche after some 40 years at Mercedes has just retired as Chairman of the Board, so who knows what changes will be coming from the new Chairman.
Yeah, trip to Affalterbach was very educational...
Old 05-31-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic, 2018 c63s coupe
Wouldn’t that increase value?