Sponsored by:

Messed up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 12:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 C63WS
Messed up

I successfully installed 3 eibach pro lowering springs but on the last one, the driver side front, when I was attempting to take off the control arm the T45 Torx that goes in the center stripped. The nut was extremely tight for some reason and when I was turning the wrench that goes around the Torx I assumed it was loosening but after a while of turning I noticed the Torx drive wasnt locked in the center and was spinning freely. So now I'm screwed because its loose making it undrivable I'm assuming so I cant take it to a shop and I can't get it off.... Does anyone have any ideas? I'm desperate

Old 07-05-2019, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
What type of tools you have ??
you can cut a slot in the head of it, and use a flat head screw driver...

There are lots of options, just depending what tools you have around.. you can also search online for " removing stripped hex bolt, or what ever you want"
Old 07-05-2019, 01:09 PM

2019 C63WS
Originally Posted by FLC63s
What type of tools you have ??
you can cut a slot in the head of it, and use a flat head screw driver...

There are lots of options, just depending what tools you have around.. you can also search online for " removing stripped hex bolt, or what ever you want"
I was trying that last night but the rotor and lower ball joint is 5 inches under this so I couldn't hammer a flat head up in it or get a drill to use the extraction method. I have a dremel but I can find a blade they sell small enough where i could cut a straight line only on the bolt without compromising the threads around the nut so i could use a flat head. I'm going to try a 3 inch C clamp. I was thinking lock one side to the top of the ball joint and put a flat head bit in the torx bolt then tighten the hell out of the clamp and see if that holds it tight enough for me to turn the wrench. Fingers crossed.
The following users liked this post:
FLC63s (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by Cascade1
I was trying that last night but the rotor and lower ball joint is 5 inches under this so I couldn't hammer a flat head up in it or get a drill to use the extraction method. I have a dremel but I can find a blade they sell small enough where i could cut a straight line only on the bolt without compromising the threads around the nut so i could use a flat head. I'm going to try a 3 inch C clamp. I was thinking lock one side to the top of the ball joint and put a flat head bit in the torx bolt then tighten the hell out of the clamp and see if that holds it tight enough for me to turn the wrench. Fingers crossed.

Ahh ok.. well I tried to throw in my .02 worth.. hope you get it bro...
Old 07-05-2019, 10:26 PM

2019 C63WS
No luck with the c clamps. Does anyone know if that ball joint can be separated from the control arm? If I drill out that bolt in the center to remove the nut can I take that ball joint to a machine shop to get it fixed? Reason I ask is because I notice Mercedes part number 205-330-33-03 sells the entire control arm but I can't find the ball joint by itself.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:08 AM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
1st I would try using a new T45 torx wrench to hold the nut in (since the one that used before is probably a little strip too). Put it in and give the nut a sudden full force impact twist to try to break it loose. Try that until the torques no longer will hold. If that doesn't work then no harm to try and jam a flat head screwdriver in there. If that doesnt work You could try to cut the nut off. If that doesn't work or is not feasible then id take it to a shop.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Can you weld a new nut/stud/something to the old bolt head? I've used that technique to get out snapped bolts.