Post break-in first impression: 2019 w205 C63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Post break-in first impression: 2019 w205 C63s

I am fortunate enough to have owned both a 2016 and now a 2019 model. I have also driven almost all current 63 models so I though I could share my experience and opinion with my mbworld family please keep in mind that some of the explanations below are option specific.
I kept as calm as could during the first 986 miles but could no longer wait for painful drives of C mode not knowing the true personality of the 2019, so here we go:

1. Usable power. The current model seems noticeably superior to the 2016 in terms of delivery of its power to the ground at low speeds. Some may argue new tires but I am fairly certain that the 9 speed has a better torque control at standstill compare to 2016. I believe this is already documented.

2. The normal city driving is less energetic in the sense that the car up shifts quite quickly through its 9 clicks. The 2016 had a bit of patience with you to see what you want to do and wouldn’t hurry up the gears like this one. This reminded me of my ex-Nissan GT-R that unless you stomped it, it was in 4th as you exited the driveway. Of course this issue does not apply to performance driving.

3. On board/ on the fly stock tuning aka dynamic select. The old model has s and s+ as a way to rate the performance and emotional representation of the car. The 2019 has other words in the descriptions like ’powerful’, ‘dynamic’, ‘pro’, etc, which I have a hard time understanding. Very little is explained in the manuals. In the old, race mode was unique in keeping up shifts at redline with vary theatrical downshifts. With 2019 you can drive around town pretty conspicuously in race mode ‘everything’ and no one will notice. This makes me even more confused about the meaning of each tuning category of the dynamic select.

4. Instrumentation. The digital dash is fun. If you are considering, play with it on a rental or a friend’s first. The novelty wears off. There is nothing wrong with it. I remember wanting it bad and was bummed that my gtr does not have it like the facelifts do despite the subjectively ugly new center console, but now I feel absolutely content with my ‘dated’ interior of my 2018 gtr. The digital dash provides more information than the older model, which is expected of any facelift, but also has some redundancies, mainly because it is semi-costomizable. I can have 3 similar fuel economy gauges on my cluster at the same time!

5. Navi. Recently I discovered that I can see prices for many gas stations right on my Navi screen and I think it is very useful. The Navi is sort of ‘live’ now which seems to be getting route info via cellular data rather than its own hard drive. The Navi updates are also on going. When you enter the destination, it takes a long time for the system to start guidance. Quite annoying if you are doing this on the fly and need to know your first upcoming turn. For Austin Power’s fans, it is just like his communication device with Basil Exposition that regressed in its capability instead of advancing .

6. The manual shift lights are gone and replaced with a red glow of the screen around the dials. The shift lights were more relevant and noticeable imo and I will miss them. Maybe the non digital dash retained them. I also think the new wider screen is less functional because imo, for navigation you need more of a vertical screen to see where you’re going. This new design gives me less useful info when it comes to Navi. Same applies to 360 camera as the images are smaller compare to old screen.

7. 360 camera. This is very neat in that it comes on when it thinks you need it and not just when reversing. Not always but many times as you attempt to park it comes on to help. Also you get a more spatial sound indication of the objects you’re close to. I tried the self park feature for a parking stall and it did a poor job of centering the car between the two other. There are also parking spots that are identified by the car that do not exists, like in stop and go freeway lanes it finds stalls for me to back into!

8. 64 ambient colors if fun!

9. Finally, sound. Lots have been discussed regarding the muted exhaust note of this model contrary to any other 63 and to the general philosophy of amg as a brand that puts a lot of emphasis on the ‘emotion’ of performance driving. This car is not quiet. It is a different loud. For someone like me who is happy with stock level performance and sound it is a definite downgrade from 2016. All the ‘fun’ sounds are gone. I used to love going under overpasses and hear the echo of gunfire! The crackle pops are seldom and when you hear them, there’s no personality. The car goes right back to sleep. This issue is irrelevant to you if you tune the car immediately after purchase, but to keep California legal in every way and still have the sound, this car is no more, at its existing set up. Of course the speculation is that this is purely a software issue. Mb has issued sw update service bulletins in the past regarding inadequate sound complains, specifically for the pre facelift 205 63s, and may do it again, fingers crossed. We will see.

10. This car learns as many recent year MB’s do. I am hoping I will see a better sound performance as I continue to drive it sporty when possible and I am hoping to see a better learned performance. This was literally my first attempt. Stay tuned...

Last edited by cyberorth; 07-05-2019 at 10:10 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by cyberorth:
AlexZTuned (07-06-2019), FLC63s (07-06-2019), JPM-3 (07-05-2019), NYCSoiL (07-06-2019), Ph4tLyfe (07-08-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
c63s
this is a solid review. regarding the all-popular sound issue...i too think they will eventually issue an update to open up the sound again. my thinking is it's because of the new 9-speed transmission. they have to put it through its paces...also, the fact that the presser cars had the sound on, means they specifically tuned the cars for them, meaning they can do it again as necessary. what surprises me about this whole situation is how silent AMG is on subject...then again, i have no reference point. anyway, nice review.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrguitar:
cyberorth (07-05-2019), FLC63s (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 06:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 S AMG
I was at the dealer, wanting to trading in the 2016 c63s for a new 2019 c63s. Tried it and also a pretty new 2018 c63s that was filled with options.

Disappointed because of the sound, transmission that ran through 3-4 gears within a intersection and I did not actually like the digital cluster (only the fancy new steering wheel was nice). Pretty boring to drive since i lost the rawness.

Went with 2018 and very happy, even though it was same pre facelift as my 2016. Feel like this model is officially the last real AMG feel with shotgun sound effects.
The following 2 users liked this post by lovepower1:
ezatnova (07-06-2019), Ph4tLyfe (07-08-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
I just recently started driving in Race mode and goddamn how did I miss this before! The downshifts are absolutely insane!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:59 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Do the prices of premium flux THAT much in Cali? I figure no matter where I pull in for fuel it's going to be over 3 bux a gallon.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
Originally Posted by lovepower1
I was at the dealer, wanting to trading in the 2016 c63s for a new 2019 c63s. Tried it and also a pretty new 2018 c63s that was filled with options.

Disappointed because of the sound, transmission that ran through 3-4 gears within a intersection and I did not actually like the digital cluster (only the fancy new steering wheel was nice). Pretty boring to drive since i lost the rawness.

Went with 2018 and very happy, even though it was same pre facelift as my 2016. Feel like this model is officially the last real AMG feel with shotgun sound effects.
I basically did the same thing. I had a 2015 C 63WS and sold it after a couple years. Last November I picked up a 2018 C 63WS. It was loaded at a 94,465 msrp and they sold it to me for 84,999 (10% off msrp). So I got a screaming deal as well. There is something to be said for getting a car at the end of a run. It has a lot of things sorted out over time. Versus getting one at the beginning like the 2019.