Sponsored by:

Blown Turbo (Soft Post)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by Mojo31
It is my understanding that the MMA puts the burden of proof on the manufacturer to prove misuse in the case of a full warranty. Cars don't come with full warranties, but come with limited warranties, so the burden of proof is different. In that case, the consumer must prove: (i) a warranty was made, (ii) the warranty was breached, (iii) a loss was sustained, and (iv) the loss was caused by the breach of the warranty. The burden in that situation is on the consumer and the burden is preponderance of the evidence. If the manufacturer relies on a provision of the limited warranty to limit or preclude warranty coverage, then it must show by a preponderance of the evidence the facts demonstrating that the warranty no longer applies, that is, that the product was changed such that it no longer worked as designed or marketed.

In situations where misuse is a defense, the burden is on the manufacturer to prove the defense, again by a preponderance of the evidence. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" is not a burden of proof typically seen in civil cases and certainly not in warranty cases.

With all of that, it's an uphill battle, one in which the legal fees will quickly exceed the amount involved. But, if there was a consumer made modification, such as a tune, and the failure occurs in the path of the modification, the consumer will rarely, if ever, come out ahead.
I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is slightly different: a "limited" warranty simply means the warranty from the manufacturer fails to meet one of five explicit criteria called out by the MMA. I believe the main contention preventing auto manufacturers from granting "full" warranties is the condition that a manufacturer cannot "require consumers to perform any duty as a precondition for receiving service". Due to the complexity of an automobile, and the myriad ways an owner could damage it through negligence or stupidity, I think a manufacturer would be hesitant to offer a full warranty. I'm thinking of things like putting diesel in a gas car, etc. As such, I am not sure the burden of proof really would change: the manufacturer would still have to demonstrate what the owner did that caused the failure.

Anyway, I may very wall be wrong, but we agree on the end result: the MMA, while helpful, certainly is no guarantee that a modified vehicle with a warranty claimed won't be denied.