Sponsored by:

Performance issue needs advise......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
Performance issue needs advise......

2018 C63S Sedan here. Love the car but it is traction impaired by any measure... and in several of the lower gears. Florida, hot weather and Michelin Super Sports from the factory. To get it all out there I've been a motor head all my life but in remission in many parts of it. I'm 71, but not a day over 50 in my ride. I've had it since new, special order for me, 1.5 years old and 4300 miles so far. Yeah, I know.. why have this for so little use but that's not the issue or the question. For those of you who know far more than me at this point a little help PLEASE.

I need more rear traction..... PS4S or Pilot Cup 2's for the 19" rears? 265 or 275?

I had some really bad luck with ECU re-tunes many years ago on Porsche so I would rather a piggy-back that can be removed, dealer service and all that. Is Dinan still top dog on that?

Any other suggestions welcome.
The following users liked this post:
nslac (09-13-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 09:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by midareff1
2018 C63S Sedan here. Love the car but it is traction impaired by any measure... and in several of the lower gears. Florida, hot weather and Michelin Super Sports from the factory. To get it all out there I've been a motor head all my life but in remission in many parts of it. I'm 71, but not a day over 50 in my ride. I've had it since new, special order for me, 1.5 years old and 4300 miles so far. Yeah, I know.. why have this for so little use but that's not the issue or the question. For those of you who know far more than me at this point a little help PLEASE.

I need more rear traction..... PS4S or Pilot Cup 2's for the 19" rears? 265 or 275?

I had some really bad luck with ECU re-tunes many years ago on Porsche so I would rather a piggy-back that can be removed, dealer service and all that. Is Dinan still top dog on that?

Changing tires on my 2018 C63S coupe is about all I've done and noticed a huge improvement in traction by switching to PS4S and 10 mm wider front and rear (from 255 to 265 front and from 285 to 295 rear). I don't know if Dinan is top dog, but they do have a warranty and I have not seen any negative comments about their plug and play in this forum.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
C63 W205 17' + W205 C250@brabus + NSX 95'
P4S 285, and Dinan. stay away from jb4...
Old 09-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 c63s
285 will fit the rear no issues, sticky tire is a must
Old 09-13-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG C63
Originally Posted by notabenex
Any specific reasons to your statement to stay away from JB4?
Old 09-13-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63

Agree on piggy back vs flash tune. Go JB4.

woah woah.

I saw your trouble thread on n54tech, and even posted trying to help. Your problems seemed specific to your car and problems with spark plugs not installed correctly. Lot of others including me running JB4with zero problems. It s irresponsible of you to bash the JB4 when your troubles have shown to probably not be related to it.

Originally Posted by DaRuzzian
285 will fit the rear no issues, sticky tire is a must
+1

Originally Posted by MDrex
Any specific reasons to your statement to stay away from JB4?
see above. He had problems with his car not running right, assumed it was the JB4, and after ignoring advice to check the plugs he found out at the dealership that it was actually poorly installed spark plugs. Terry/BMS have been showing great customer support and trying to help him on the other forum.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Agree on piggy back vs flash tune. Go JB4.

woah woah.

I saw your trouble thread on n54tech, and even posted trying to help. Your problems seemed specific to your car and problems with spark plugs not installed correctly. Lot of others including me running JB4with zero problems. It s irresponsible of you to bash the JB4 when your troubles have shown to probably not be related to it.

+1

see above. He had problems with his car not running right, assumed it was the JB4, and after ignoring advice to check the plugs he found out at the dealership that it was actually poorly installed spark plugs. Terry/BMS have been showing great customer support and trying to help him on the other forum.

Not true.
I had fully functional 2017 C63, since I installed JB4 I had problems.. after few days firtst misfire then CEL's, rough idle, sometimes weird behavior of rpms.. it was not right since I installed it. BMS said change plugs to new one which I did and I have to say shop didnt make it well so they fixed it at the dealership... Car was still putting CEL s, start stop not working, loud start sometimes not present, it was just NOT RIGHT.

It ended up with car running like **** pump, I was unable to drive so I had to tow the car to dealer ship where it spend 3days..they checked spark plugs, coil packs, injectors and even measured pressures in valve chambers.. when they out it together it was still not going well, but when they tried every piece separately problem was not present. so they decided tk remove jb4, reflashed engine software and car is running great.

All my problems started with JB4 install, all of then dismissed when it was removed.

Maybe I was just unlucky and my jb4 is faulty.. (I was one of the First in the beta and after received jb4 I got email from them that I have to repair the board.. so maybe boars is wrong.. they think tha maybe some of the connectors are wrong.

I have to say that BMS sometimes commented in my post, but their solution to this behavior of jb4 was "use map 6 with 3psi".. but it was not good for the engine

I have Brabus piggyback on my wife C300 and its behaving perfectly for 150000kms

Last edited by notabenex; 09-13-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG C63

Maybe I was just unlucky and my jb4 is faulty.. (I was one of the First in the beta and after received jb4 I got email from them that I have to repair the board.. so maybe boars is wrong.. they think tha maybe some of the connectors are wrong.
So was the board repaired? From the above post it sounds like you didn't' have the board repaired.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by MDrex
So was the board repaired? From the above post it sounds like you didn't' have the board repaired.
Of course I repaired the board.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63s Coupe

My car came with 20" rear and 19" front. I changed out oem wheels/tires and went with Vorsteiner wheels 20" both front and rear. I run Michelin PS4's with 265x30 front and 295/30 rear. The offset on the Vorsteiners together with the Michelins gives a nice wide stance and good traction. I used to have Dinan tune on my BMW M4 but at a point I removed it and had an ecu tune which was much better. I have Renntech on my C63s and it is great! I have never been a fan of piggyback tunes.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C63
Not sure why you have an injector circuit code when JB4 doesn't touch the injectors. Sounds like a botched install with something being unplugged in the process, but not replugged when buttoning everything back up leading to multiple misfires
Old 09-16-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by chongl
Not sure why you have an injector circuit code when JB4 doesn't touch the injectors. Sounds like a botched install with something being unplugged in the process, but not replugged when buttoning everything back up leading to multiple misfires

Check the whole thread https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showt...t=58591&page=3