Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C63S
Also my vote is for 20% curved to keep the OEM look
Old 12-08-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 AMG C63, 2001 C5 Corvette
Thanks Guys! I appreciate the advice and opinions. I bet I COULD get the Calipers off. Worst Case, when putting them back ON, I could have my Buddy Mechanic who works at a major chain that starts with an "N" for 25 years, to just COME Over and put them back ON, and Bleed them.

One concern with removing the Calipers (which I just need to research the correct way), but you have to do Some Procedure to allow you to Release the Parking Brake to get pads out. Who knows, but it would be NICE to have them OFF the car and just hand them to a Pro and get them back perfect.

If I Took OFF Calipers, would You Guys PAINT then or have them POWDER COATED? I think Powder Coated, they have to take out 8 of the pistons to bake them, so they need to be reinstalled, and or rebuilt. One powder coating local place quoted/charged $25 each to re-build, so 8 is $200. The actual KIT is $8 at auto zone.

If they were Painted, I think they just tape them up?

I Go BACK n FORTH on Painting them Myself. Because, I almost have a FREE TRY in a way, right? I mean, if I jack up the Paint Job, then I could just then just take them off and give them to a Painted and they'd have to strip off the existing G2 paint and start fresh. NOT sure how much of an impediment it is to remove the G2 Paint, but for a PRO, it likely is easy. BUT then that is a lot of work and time and when YOU paint it yourself, you are Praying for it to look GOOD, where if a Pro does it, you KNOW it will look perfect and there is no guessing on the results..

Of course, if I could SNAP my Finger and make it happen, I'd have them Painted or Powder Coated.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 AMG C63, 2001 C5 Corvette
It's Sept 2020 and I am back at this now. I have a shop that currently has a Mercedes SUV that is getting Red Calipers. I am going to let the place test their car and see how they do. They are very skilled at removing brakes, calipers, bleeding, and understand what to do. I am going to wait and see how those come out. I bet all in doing this there would be $500 for everything.....

An alternative is to use a Pro. I found a reputable Benz Repair Place in Dallas and called them. To REMOVE and Reinstall my stock Calipers they'd charge $500 and another $200 to Bleed the Brakes (I guess because of the cost of the brake fluid involved), so $700 to basically do everything except Powder Coat the calipers and reinstall the caliper kit (Seals, etc.). Seems HIGH????

Then I would just bring my Calipers after they are removed and drop off at the Powder Coaters and they will Powder Coat and install the rebuild kit. Then I'd bring them back over to the Mercedes Mechanic to re-install and Bleed Brakes.