Sponsored by:

distronic problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63s
distronic problem

need some help please. i have 2017 c63s. i’ve fitted genuine panamerica a grille and star which is the latest 2019 raised design. i have a problem with the distronic. when the road ahead is clear but passing a car in the near side lane (uk) the distronic detects a car and slows my car once level my car accelerated again. been to dealer twice but each time nothing shows on the diagnostics. they say a note embassy stores that the radar was dirty or there was an obstruction in front of it. i’ve also had a message come up that the sensors are dirty only to be told 5 minutes later they were ok. could it be the raised star badge causing the problem. the original which won’t fit the facelift grille was the flat type. thanks
Old 01-20-2020, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,633 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, with DISTRONIC you need the flat painted star badge. You may have additional issues, though, because the new OEM AMG-style grill was not designed with the old DISTRONIC hardware in mind. The 2019+ have a new system and probably a newer different size radar sensor, so the grill you have my still partially obstruct the old sensor. Didn't you post about this a while ago? My understanding is that those who retrofit the new 2019+ grill use one that is specifically designed for the pre-FL and fits the star badge from your original grill, so that everything lines up properly and there is no obstruction.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:59 PM

C63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, with DISTRONIC you need the flat painted star badge. You may have additional issues, though, because the new OEM AMG-style grill was not designed with the old DISTRONIC hardware in mind. The 2019+ have a new system and probably a newer different size radar sensor, so the grill you have my still partially obstruct the old sensor. Didn't you post about this a while ago? My understanding is that those who retrofit the new 2019+ grill use one that is specifically designed for the pre-FL and fits the star badge from your original grill, so that everything lines up properly and there is no obstruction.
i have spoken to the company i bought the grille from and they say they’ve never had a problem fitting these grilles and i spoke to a bloke at a show the other day with one and again no problem. although the dealer confirmed the radar is different on the 2019 cars. i noticed the earlier facelift cars have the flat badge. i’m thinking that is the problem
Old 01-20-2020, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Acerboo
i have spoken to the company i bought the grille from and they say they’ve never had a problem fitting these grilles and i spoke to a bloke at a show the other day with one and again no problem. although the dealer confirmed the radar is different on the 2019 cars. i noticed the earlier facelift cars have the flat badge. i’m thinking that is the problem
I believe the vast majority of cars don't have DISTRONIC, so I wouldn't be surprised if the company tells you there is no problem. The badge is definitely the first issue you have to address. All cars with DISTRONIC have the flat badge. Having something raised in front of the radar signal will mess with it. I have a 2019 with full driver assistance package and my car has the flat badge. I've gotten the radar sensor is dirty warning after getting the badge caked with a lot of dead insects and had to clean it before it started working again properly, so having the raised star there basically will look like dirt on the badge to the sensor.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:41 PM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
bought the OEM FL grille and badge and I have the same problem as you OP. In the two years I have had the car I only wanted to use Distronic once and thats when I discovered this problem so im not really bothered about it and neither should you since that raised star grille looks much more mean. Although if you are a regular user of distronic then thats a different story.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63S Coupe
Did you buy it from CKS?
Old 01-21-2020, 02:28 AM

C63s
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
Did you buy it from CKS?
yes
Old 01-21-2020, 02:29 AM

C63s
Originally Posted by untamedd
bought the OEM FL grille and badge and I have the same problem as you OP. In the two years I have had the car I only wanted to use Distronic once and thats when I discovered this problem so im not really bothered about it and neither should you since that raised star grille looks much more mean. Although if you are a regular user of distronic then thats a different story.
👍
Old 01-21-2020, 02:31 AM

C63s
[QUOTE=superswiss;7958618]I believe the vast majority of cars don't have DISTRONIC, so I wouldn't be surprised if the company tells you there is no problem. The badge is definitely the first issue you have to address. All cars with DISTRONIC have the flat badge. Having something raised in front of the radar signal will mess with it. I have a 2019 with full driver assistance package and my car has the flat badge. I've gotten the radar sensor is dirty warning after getting the badge caked with a lot of dead insects and had to clean it before it started working again properly, so having the raised star there basically will look like dirt on the badge

[/QUOTE i agree]
Old 01-21-2020, 03:27 AM

17 C63S Coupe
yes
They told me the same thing, but I don't know how it could possibly not affect the pre-facelift distronic... half of the sensor is behind the raised star plastic.

I have my stock glass star, but I can't figure out how to mount it in this new grill. It doesn't seem to fit no matter what I do and I don't want to install the grill without knowing for sure it will work properly.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 Mercedes AMG C43
You need to get the Distronic star for the FL grill in order for it to work properly. The star from the pre-FL is not the same size and will not fit.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:19 AM

C63s
I believe the vast majority of cars don't have DISTRONIC, so I wouldn't be surprised if the company tells you there is no problem. The badge is definitely the first issue you have to address. All cars with DISTRONIC have the flat badge. Having something raised in front of the radar signal will mess with it. I have a 2019 with full driver assistance package and my car has the flat badge. I've gotten the radar sensor is dirty warning after getting the badge caked with a lot of dead insects and had to clean it before it started working again properly, so having the raised star there basically will look like dirt on the badge to the sensor.

its odd I cant seem to get a part number for the flat badge and I have seen 2019 with the raised badge but im sure you are correct I need the flat badge
Old 01-21-2020, 11:30 AM

C63s
They told me the same thing, but I don't know how it could possibly not affect the pre-facelift distronic... half of the sensor is behind the raised star plastic.

I have my stock glass star, but I can't figure out how to mount it in this new grill. It doesn't seem to fit no matter what I do and I don't want to install the grill without knowing for sure it will work properly.
the pre fl badge doesnt fit the fl grille you need the fl badge. some are raised star others are flat but I cant find a part no for the flat one which im sure is what I need
Old 01-21-2020, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
its odd I cant seem to get a part number for the flat badge and I have seen 2019 with the raised badge but im sure you are correct I need the flat badge
Yes, the 2019+ with raised star badge are those that don't have DISTRONIC. I'm not sure why this doesn't seem to be clear yet. If the car has DISTRONIC it gets the flat badge from the factory, if it doesn't have DISTRONIC it gets the raised star badge. Has been like this for years and it hasn't changed. You can always tell from the star badge whether the car has DISTRONIC or not. Can't help you with the part number. It's probably associated with he Driver Assistance Package.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:27 PM

17 C63S Coupe
Yes, the 2019+ with raised star badge are those that don't have DISTRONIC. I'm not sure why this doesn't seem to be clear yet. If the car has DISTRONIC it gets the flat badge from the factory, if it doesn't have DISTRONIC it gets the raised star badge. Has been like this for years and it hasn't changed. You can always tell from the star badge whether the car has DISTRONIC or not. Can't help you with the part number. It's probably associated with he Driver Assistance Package.
It would be very helpful if you (or anyone) could provide the part # for the FL distronic star. I can't find one that's differentiated from the non-FL star and that one doesn't fit.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:05 PM

C63s
ok i understand. i just need to get a part number to get one. thanks
Old 01-21-2020, 02:44 PM

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
C63s
Hi

Try with this part number A0008880000
Old 01-22-2020, 01:24 PM

17 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by japamg
Hi

Where did this # come from? This appears to be for the pre-FL E-class...
Old 01-23-2020, 03:09 AM

C63s
Hi

doesn’t appear to be for c class. thanks
Old 01-23-2020, 04:13 AM

C63s
Funny because I got it with that number, actually is the number that appears in the back of the glass star for distronic

Old 01-23-2020, 08:51 AM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
so this is what CKS says you should do if you cant live without Distronic.

'If you are experiencing any issue with the emblem and holder, install your original emblem. We have checked ourselves and this would be possible simply by trimming the rear of your original emblem and fitting via a bonding agent to the new OEM grille'
Old 01-23-2020, 02:48 PM

C63s
Funny because I got it with that number, actually is the number that appears in the back of the glass star for distronic

so to be clear that part number got the flat distronic badge for the panamericana grille?
Old 01-24-2020, 02:31 AM

C63s
so to be clear that part number got the flat distronic badge for the panamericana grille?
Yep!
Old 01-24-2020, 03:19 AM

17 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by untamedd
so this is what CKS says you should do if you cant live without Distronic.

'If you are experiencing any issue with the emblem and holder, install your original emblem. We have checked ourselves and this would be possible simply by trimming the rear of your original emblem and fitting via a bonding agent to the new OEM grille'
I asked them prior to ordering and, after delivery, prior to opening the box because it said, "NOT for distronic" and they told me it works just fine with that emblem. If it wasn't such a hassle, I'd send it back and dispute the charge with my credit card company. What a **** business.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:35 AM

C63s
I asked them prior to ordering and, after delivery, prior to opening the box because it said, "NOT for distronic" and they told me it works just fine with that emblem. If it wasn't such a hassle, I'd send it back and dispute the charge with my credit card company. What a **** business.
defo the flat one that’s needed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: distronic problem