C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

😌 Facelift Vs Prefacelift C63s: My honest test drive & why I'm keeping the old one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 01:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by SimMB

​​​​Anyone who uses sound as an excuse is just kidding themselves.
​​​​​
​​​
Why is it valid that your priority is electronics and not valid that others is sound? Seems to me that both are reasonable and comes down to personal preference. Also, yes, you can make it louder, but replicating the wild PFL sounds is no small task.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:38 PM

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe, 2021 Bmw X5M Competition
Originally Posted by superswiss
designo is MB's individual customization program. You can get any interior you want on the C Class. On the E Class and higher you can even get any exterior color you want. It's just an extra cost. MB occasionally offers some pre-selected designo interiors as convenient options in the order guide, but pretty much anything is possible otherwise.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/...00237,15700242
They should’ve offered a full leather interior option with quilted seats on the C63. I would’ve paid for it. That’s one thing I think BMW is clearly better at, they offer full leather interior option. I sat in an E63s and it’s not fully covered in leather either.

Look at the new X5M, the entire door, dash, center console and seats are covered in leather. Not fake leather, real animal leather.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by elitex
Voiding warranty for exhaust work?? That’s a new one. People will always find something to complain about. We won’t even have ICE engines in the next few decades so enjoy while you can.
You need to swap out the downpipes and tune the CEL to get the most out of the sound of the car. An akraprovic or whatever else exhaust will still be silent because of the stock OEM downpipes. So yes you will have to void your warranty to fix that.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by TeraPatrick
You need to swap out the downpipes and tune the CEL to get the most out of the sound of the car. An akraprovic or whatever else exhaust will still be silent because of the stock OEM downpipes. So yes you will have to void your warranty to fix that.
All you need to do is add DP’s with high flow cats and no tune. That’s exactly what I plan on doing. I’ve done this exact mod before on another car with great results.
The following users liked this post:
SimMB (05-02-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
OP, Good of you to keep the preFL. Only the owners who have had both and have an appreciation for the way this car noise pollutes the environment know what you are talking about.
I like the FL in every single way with one exception. I don't enjoy driving it, knowing what it could have been in the sound department. This trend will gradually change how performance petrol cars will sound and not in a good way!
Jimmy_c63s (05-02-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by superswiss
I've never looked into the cost for MB, but volume isn't really the issue I think. It's a pretty popular program with Audis. An individual exterior color is like $3000 or so. I don't recall what the individual interiors go for, but folks have done it successfully on cars cheaper than a C63. It does add extra time to the order. Audi lumps the individual orders together towards the end of a production run, so it takes some patience. I definitely noticed that it doesn't seem to be a popular thing with MB. Other brands seem to be making a killing of off the individualization programs.
Paint is not available for the C class, but it goes for $20k if I remember correctly. Interior is around the same $15-20k. Definitely not worth the price for a regular buyer
Old 05-01-2020, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Paint is not available for the C class, but it goes for $20k if I remember correctly. Interior is around the same $15-20k. Definitely not worth the price for a regular buyer
Yeah, I know paint isn't available, but yikes if these prices are for real!
Old 05-02-2020, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG GT R
Originally Posted by SimMB
Mine pops and crackles in race mode and a bit in sport. Nothing in comfort.

Secondary decat coming soon though. Sound is the easiest thing to fix.

Surely fake noise can be coded out.
Do you have OPF? If you remove secondery cats Will it throw a CEL?
Old 05-02-2020, 04:16 AM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by Mercedesgtr
Do you have OPF? If you remove secondery cats Will it throw a CEL?
Yes I have the OPF. No, removing secondary cats does not throw a CEL as the secondary cats do not have a lambda sensor.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:31 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by brevets
Why is it valid that your priority is electronics and not valid that others is sound? Seems to me that both are reasonable and comes down to personal preference. Also, yes, you can make it louder, but replicating the wild PFL sounds is no small task.
My post talked about evaluating your buying decision on what can or cannot be retrofitted. If you find the perfect car, with low miles but no panoramic roof, you might discount it because a Pano roof is not easily retrofitted. If you find a similar car but it didn't have the aero pack, well that's easily sorted. On balance out of all the possible options and retrofits, making a car louder has to be the easiest thing I can think of.

Of course, you don't need to agree and everyone will defend their own purchases as if they built it themselves, but this is a forum, so you need to accept everyone has their own opinion.

I was all set for buying a PFL at one point, but I would have to look out at those analogue clocks and the tacky display and fight back the wave of regret as I stumble for the buttons on the centre console.

Each to their own though eh 👍

ETA. If the PFL and FL were the same price, do you think people would go for the PFL? I highly doubt it, therefore the biggest determining factor is price. IMO.

Last edited by SimMB; 05-02-2020 at 05:45 AM.
AV1 (05-03-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG GT R
Originally Posted by elitex
All you need to do is add DP’s with high flow cats and no tune. That’s exactly what I plan on doing. I’ve done this exact mod before on another car with great results.
i got my 2020 amg gt r yesterday and I have heard that you will get a cel if you remove opf without tune.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:40 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by Mercedesgtr
i got my 2020 amg gt r yesterday and I have heard that you will get a cel if you remove opf without tune.
Might be best asking in the GT section, I'm sure there are some owners over there that will tell you. For the C, there is no CEL and it's a very common mod.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:42 PM

This is facelift car with Catted DP, Exhaust and no tune.....

View this post on Instagram
AV1 (05-03-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 12:41 PM

So I just went over 6000 miles on my FL coupe and something definitely changed. You really had to try to get the car to pop and bang before. Now, it pops and bangs a lot more. It even pops on downshifts now. I was trying to record it yesterday and completely failed on getting the suction cup installed correctly on my GoPro.

Something absolutely changed because I had recorded few videos before trying to make it pop and backfire. All you have to do is put the car in sport plus and manual shifting.