Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 06:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
PFL C63s EC Stage II
Idk about that probably not.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63s
Ya I wanna see this as well. Previous vids sounded great. I have a 19 FL and I’m looking for more sound as well, and have been debating the DP/tune etc etc.
I have been able to get some decent pops n bangs, even some upshift braps lately as I think the car is adjusting to my driving, as just crossed 4K mile mark for reference.
The other cari was looking at vs this one was a 2017 with Weistec w3 turbos, tune, DPs, and BOV and sounded freakin beastly and had just right amount of BOV sound after the rumble/pops/bangs, but the 2019 popped up last minute with a great price, color, FL updates, and 10k less miles. Also, for the 2017 the previous owner had the Weistec upgrades done and then traded in for an R8 2-3 months later, so I wasn’t quite sure what to make of that.

Anyway, the point is, I have been on a quest to get closer to that sound ever since because that was the hardest part to pass up, so I am definitely interested in your results.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S AMG Coupe - Designo Graphite Grey Magno
Originally Posted by elitex
Just ordered the ModalWorks Downpipes for my FL coupe. I went with catted version so no tune required. I’ll post videos as soon as I get them installed.

I already have the ASR module installed so I am hoping that this really opens up the sound.
Slightly off topic but I just installed the Renntech EVM module (told it is the same as the ASR module). Did you notice that even though the exhaust got louder, there was a loss off pops/bangs? I also noticed that putting it back in “stock” is quieter than what stock was without the module?

Curious if you noticed the same. Or anyone else that has used the ASR or Renntech module.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by MAC63S
Slightly off topic but I just installed the Renntech EVM module (told it is the same as the ASR module). Did you notice that even though the exhaust got louder, there was a loss off pops/bangs? I also noticed that putting it back in “stock” is quieter than what stock was without the module?

Curious if you noticed the same. Or anyone else that has used the ASR or Renntech module.
they are the same..ASR makes them for Renntech and Renntech has exclusive distribution license in US...so I am told from ASR to what prevents them for undercutting Renntech. Anyway, I have it and have the same pops and bangs as before and no difference when put back in OEM mode. There is no magic...it simply holds the flaps open all the time and does not interact with the rest of the control system.
The following users liked this post:
FF_GTC (05-30-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:41 AM

C63s
OP .....Let’s hear those catted DPs !!!
or at least interested in your feedback about how it turned out and sounds, as I am debating pulling trigger on catted DPs and waiting on tune or gettin catless and going ahead with a tune for my 19. I kinda wanted wait on tune so can give time for the whole tcu tune thing to get ironed out first.

if sounds remotely close to previous post here then I’m all about it.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:13 PM

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe, 2021 Bmw X5M Competition
Originally Posted by PhxC63s
OP .....Let’s hear those catted DPs !!!
or at least interested in your feedback about how it turned out and sounds, as I am debating pulling trigger on catted DPs and waiting on tune or gettin catless and going ahead with a tune for my 19. I kinda wanted wait on tune so can give time for the whole tcu tune thing to get ironed out first.

if sounds remotely close to previous post here then I’m all about it.
Sounds amazing tbh. So well worth the upgrade. I am getting the Cats replaced to Gessi cats as I don’t think Modal works cats are high quality. Too much smell and CEL came on. I don’t think those cats are doing much if anything at all. Should be done next Tuesday.
ansonkk1 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG G63, 2020 AMG C63s Coupe
Sounds amazing tbh. So well worth the upgrade. I am getting the Cats replaced to Gessi cats as I don’t think Modal works cats are high quality. Too much smell and CEL came on. I don’t think those cats are doing much if anything at all. Should be done next Tuesday.
I went with Red Star, they looked really high quality and reviews on their products are excellent. The downpipes are made to order and you can order them with cats and heat shielding options, etc.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by BrianShaw23
I went with Red Star, they looked really high quality and reviews on their products are excellent. The downpipes are made to order and you can order them with cats and heat shielding options, etc.
Good call as both Cats options are high quality cats. Have you installed them yet?
Old 05-28-2020, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Good call as both Cats options are high quality cats. Have you installed them yet?
Originally Posted by BrianShaw23
So you all order custom down pipes and have a quality cat added...really interested to know as I would love to do the DP's but dont want any smell or any chance of CEL w/o tune. (I use Velos tune but take it off when going to service the car).
Old 05-28-2020, 02:54 PM

Not yet! I ordered them and they are currently being built. I plan on doing the Red Star catted downpipes (ordered it with heat shielding) along with the Renntech full tune, bcm air filters and the Renntech shop I'm going to is going to modify the oem mufflers to make it sound more like the pre facelift. Apparently it's something they do there and they're saying it sounds insane. Once I have this done I'll upload vids of the sound, won't be until end of June though.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by tobeit
So you all order custom down pipes and have a quality cat added...really interested to know as I would love to do the DP's but dont want any smell or any chance of CEL w/o tune. (I use Velos tune but take it off when going to service the car).
If you wait I'll give you a good review on the ones I ordered end of June-ish.
tobeit (05-28-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AMG C63 S
Just some feedback on my Modalworks Catted DP's. Installed by the expert mechanics at Autotalent in LA. (no cutting), great quality and value pipes with near 100% perfect fit. Sound level better then what I expected, drove a couple days with no CEL before installing the Velos Tune. What a massive transformation - unlocked so much power with just 2 mods.... There is a very subtle smell even with the cats that seems more noticeable in Sport + mode but still very subtle and acceptable by my standards. I went with catted DP's because of sound and smell and very happy with the results.

Kudos to Christian at Modalworks for putting together a quality C63 performance upgrade package (Modalworks intakes will be my final mod as I told my wife)
Old 05-29-2020, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by obsidianamg
Just some feedback on my Modalworks Catted DP's. Installed by the expert mechanics at Autotalent in LA. (no cutting), great quality and value pipes with near 100% perfect fit. Sound level better then what I expected, drove a couple days with no CEL before installing the Velos Tune. What a massive transformation - unlocked so much power with just 2 mods.... There is a very subtle smell even with the cats that seems more noticeable in Sport + mode but still very subtle and acceptable by my standards. I went with catted DP's because of sound and smell and very happy with the results.

Kudos to Christian at Modalworks for putting together a quality C63 performance upgrade package (Modalworks intakes will be my final mod as I told my wife)
That’s great! smell on mine are a much more than I expected. It could be that I received bad cats. I’ll have my cats replaced on Tuesday to GESI cats. I’ll post an update afterwards.

I have their intake on order also. Can’t wait to install them.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:02 PM

C63s
I wonder if they need to be broken in a lil bit, heat cycled a few times? And get a coating.

I had ART pipes on my G37 and I got some smell here and there but it didn't bother me at all, and was only when had windows down, also seemed to happen more in the beginning.
The CEL is what concerns me.
I want some DPs for sound now but was thinkin of waiting for all the tcu stuff to be worked out before gettin ecu/tcu tune.
Also I dont feel like paying 4k for catted DPs lol.

Last edited by PhxC63s; 05-29-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:10 AM

The price for catted Modal Works downpipes is $1,490, hard to imagine you can afford to put high quality catalytic converters for that price. HJS 200 cell cpsi catalytic converters which are one of the best cats on the market are roughly $500 each and you need two of them for C63s downpipes, so those two cats alone come out to at least $1,000. There are obviously cheaper cats in the Modal Works downpipes which is why I didn't go with them. Went with Red Star and got them with HJS 200 cell cpsi cats + heat shielding which should last the life of the car. Red Star's downpipes cost me $3,000. Was also considering Renntech/Capristo downpipes but those are $4,200+ and are really meant for hardcore modding, like stage 3 which is overkill for what I'm going to do with my C63s.