Sponsored by:

2 acceleration questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 09:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63s
2 acceleration questions

So I have a stock 2019 C63s coupe, and I’m still learning and getting used to the car and had 2 main questions (and a few more lol)
1. Does anyone else have or seem to notice an extra click or like a half inch extra in your gas pedal? Not sure how to word it, but when I press the pedal all the way down it feels like there is a “bottom” then when continue to press it goes another half inch and kinda clicks. What is this and what function does it serve? By the way I checked and no, I am not catching on the floor mat haha.

while I have yet to engage race start function, as it is different in 19-20 than PFL models, I wondered if maybe this extra “click” is maybe something having to do with engaging that, as from what I’ve read you have to depress the pedal all the way down vigorously?

2. While in Mexico briefly I did 2 60 rolls. I noticed that when I punched it (In Race mode w/ esc Tcs on) i got about a half sec to sec where not much seemed to happen, then I rocketed forward and completely gapped the C6 vette by a few cars. As I said, I’m still very new to the car so be forgiving haha. I didn’t notice the traction light blinking, but I was also focusing on the road. I’m thinking it was either a big downshift delay dropping down from top gear or Started to spin a bit and it cut power until it hooked up or was building boost Or a combo of all of the above. I didn’t feel any spin, tires almost new, and stock I didn’t think it would at 60, but idk.... just wanna reduce any lag I can.

Any ideas ?

on 285 pzero rears atm
Is it better for our cars ina roll to get the gear down first before punching it?
Should I “pedal” the throttle more and roll into it more gradually VS just punching it?
Im sure there is a better combination of drive mode/esc/tcs or 9stage number or Sport mode(1st click tcs off) that is more ideal for these situations. What’s yours?

The more and more I drive this car, the more I am falling in Love. It has consistently put a smile on my face daily, and as I get used to it slowly it keeps giving me more. It has felt very planted and stable in general but I am still not done working my way thru all the various modes and nannies and each ones limits. I know that with everything off, it can be very tail happy and A rubber devouring hooligan.
My next goal I think is figuring out my wheel and tire and suspension setup. I really want some 305s+ in the rear. Maybe even drag radials as I live in AZ and it rains like 4 times a year. I think that’s also a good idea before getting into tune/DPs.
Maybe even eventually a set of smaller diameter rears with some meaty slicks for the track when all the rest is done.

Any Input is appreciated.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:23 AM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
I think every decent sized auto I've ever driven has a kick down button at the bottom of the accelerator pedal. Nothing special about it.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:36 AM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
Its the kick down switch. Meaning the car will switch to the lowest possible gear given how fast you're going to give you the most effective power band for acceleration.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,633 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yeah, that's typically the kick down switch, but I didn't think the C63 had one, I have to pay more attention. I generally avoid them, because I drive in manual mode on the highway and during spirited driving and either manually downshift through the gears in advance, or pull and hold the downshift paddle to drop down to the lowest possible gear as I feather into the throttle.

As to your other questions, it's all most likely due to the traction. You can easily break traction and have wheel spin all the way to third gear. The 9-stage traction control is very good and regulates the engine torque in order to maintain maximum traction. I haven't fiddled much with the 9-stages of the traction control, but when driving spirited I put ESP in Sport Handling mode and AMG DYNAMICS in Pro. That gives me just enough wheel spin for maximum traction and plenty of freedom to slide the car around w/o getting into too much trouble on public streets. I got to play with manually adjusting the traction control at the AMG Driving Academy during the drifting exercise. It's very effective. I was registered for both Drift and Drift+ later this year, but COVID-19 happened and it got cancelled. Hoping to attend them perhaps in December at COTA depending on how the situation develops or otherwise I'll have to postpone till next year.

I've also swapped out the stock PSS for a set of PS4S and that made a noticeable difference in being able to hook up. They are also more communicative and I now feel better what's going on and if I'm close to the limit of grip. They made the car much more confident in the canyons and easier to hook. With the PSS I regularly had wheel spin all the way to third gear when punching it and had to short shift to get it to hook up.

EDIT: BTW if you drive in Race mode and put ESP in Sport Handling mode or off, the AMG DYNAMICS setting goes to Master mode. There's very little intervention from ESP in Master mode, and is meant for the track. Just a heads up. I ended up completely sideways a few months ago and since then I avoid Master on public roads. Only recommended with plenty of room to avoid ending up in a wall.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-25-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:14 PM

C63s
Thank you all for the replies.

Actually, I think I was in Ind mode, engine race, susp sport+, dynamic pro

im sure better tires and wider will help.

I’ll have to keep the master dynamic thing in mind. Also, will have to experiment more in a safe setting.
Also, try feathering the throttle a bit more or rolling into it when doin a roll, especially at lower speeds.
ill tell you what though, when the car hooked up it pulled like a freight train.

Maybe a combination of engine race, dynamic pro, and tcs sport would allow a tad spin but not cut power as long.

id really like to experiment with race start/launch, but it can be hard to find a suitable area to do so. Though some of the tracks are just starting to open back up. Haha though I’d like to at least be familiar with it before doing runs at the strip.

Last edited by PhxC63s; 05-25-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:21 PM

C63s
Maybe a combo of engine race, dynamics pro, and tcs sport (1st click off) would give a lil spin but not cut power as long. I don’t mind a lil spin

Yeah I would love to go to AMG driving experience, I’ve thought about signing up for later this year. We have Bondurant here, but it would be nice to do it in cars that are more relevant to my own.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,633 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by PhxC63s
Thank you all for the replies.

Actually, I think I was in Ind mode, engine race, susp sport+, dynamic pro

im sure better tires and wider will help.

I’ll have to keep the master dynamic thing in mind. Also, will have to experiment more in a safe setting.
Also, try feathering the throttle a bit more or rolling into it when doin a roll, especially at lower speeds.
ill tell you what though, when the car hooked up it pulled like a freight train.

Maybe a combination of engine race, dynamic pro, and tcs sport would allow a tad spin but not cut power as long.

id really like to experiment with race start/launch, but it can be hard to find a suitable area to do so. Though some of the tracks are just starting to open back up. Haha though I’d like to at least be familiar with it before doing runs at the strip.
Overall I find S+ with ESP in Sport Handling mode and transmission in M the perfect setup for dynamic driving on public roads. I use this setup in the canyons. I have my individual mode setup almost like S+, except with the suspension slightly dialed back to Sport and the transmission in M. I use I* for highway and open road driving, and if I want more hooligan I also put ESP in Sport Handling mode. For example to rip up an on-ramp or do a bit of sliding around a 90 degree turn. For casual around town driving I keep it in Comfort, same for long distance highway cruising with DISTRONIC etc. engaged and I occasionally decide to shift myself even in Comfort mode if the roads make it more interesting, but I don't quite wanna go ***** out.

Originally Posted by PhxC63s
Yeah I would love to go to AMG driving experience, I’ve thought about signing up for later this year. We have Bondurant here, but it would be nice to do it in cars that are more relevant to my own.
You should go. The first one is free with the purchase of the car.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-25-2020 at 08:29 PM.