C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How wet or how much oil the turbo inlet should have?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2020 | 02:59 PM

PFL C63s EC Stage II
How wet or how much oil the turbo inlet should have?

Im installing UPD high flow air filters and i popped off the top of the airbox. Ive noticed the inlet of turbo is a little wet, no droplets or anything but just lubricated is this normal? Car is 2016 c63s with 40k
Old 05-28-2020 | 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
I asked on another thread it if were possible to install catch cans on a turgo engine. Never got a straight answer. This is the reason why I asked. Subscribed.
Old 05-28-2020 | 03:22 PM

PFL C63s EC Stage II
I googled this and they say "excessive oil on turbo inlet means failure" how much is "excessive"?
Old 05-28-2020 | 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by PaulC63s
Im installing UPD high flow air filters and i popped off the top of the airbox. Ive noticed the inlet of turbo is a little wet, no droplets or anything but just lubricated is this normal? Car is 2016 c63s with 40k
I don't have any experience with our exact turbos but typically if it just feels lubricated (thin film) that is pretty normal for most turbo's with bearings which are lubricated from the inside by the oil. When it drips and has droplets it could be the bearings failing ..my F32 has a lot more than a thin film and works like that for many miles now. Its hard to tell when a little oil is too much but some thin film is normal.
Old 05-29-2020 | 01:51 AM

2017 AMG C63
Originally Posted by ///Bruce
I asked on another thread it if were possible to install catch cans on a turgo engine. Never got a straight answer. This is the reason why I asked. Subscribed.
On turbo engines? Of course, it's done all the time. On this particular platform? I'm not sure, with the hot V set up, how practical it is.

Originally Posted by PaulC63s
I googled this and they say "excessive oil on turbo inlet means failure" how much is "excessive"?
If it's a very thin film, I would not worry about it as that can be normal. Sounds like you are fine Based on your description.

I think you would probably know excessive if you saw it, such as droplets or pooled oil in the turbo inlet, or a big oil mess everywhere, or the appearance of leakage. You would probably also be experiencing large amounts of smoke out of the tailpipe if the turbo had failed.