Sponsored by:

Designo graphite matte paint.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s coupe
Designo graphite matte paint.

Hey all, has anyone ever had a stone chip on the designo graphite matte paint? Car is fully wrapped in ppf and it has nicked through the ppf right on the bottom of the front bumper where it curves under the car... any opinions do they make a designo graphite matte wrap ? Possibly wrap the front bumper... open to suggestions

Last edited by Gee63s; 06-09-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63s Coupe
+1

I also have something similar to this, more of a large scrape. Been curious of to our options for taking care of it with the paint.

Thanks for posting
Old 06-09-2020, 10:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
c63s coupe -16
Thats sick! It hurts, where have you been driving that car?
So the ppf didnt help ha...?
Old 06-09-2020, 04:35 PM

C63s coupe
Originally Posted by SwedenC63sCoupe
Thats sick! It hurts, where have you been driving that car?
So the ppf didnt help ha...?

got stuck on the motorway whilst some roadworks were going on.. I think the angle of the front lip is the reason why it went through the ppf.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG G63, 2020 AMG C63s Coupe
The PPF definitely helped mitigate damage to your paint, I have the same paint and also have a full PPF on the car, I have rock chips on the PPF as well but from what I can tell on mine, the paint itself is mostly protected. Perhaps when enough rock chips are on the front PPF I'll just get it changed.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:12 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63s ED1 Coupe
Originally Posted by BrianShaw23
The PPF definitely helped mitigate damage to your paint, I have the same paint and also have a full PPF on the car, I have rock chips on the PPF as well but from what I can tell on mine, the paint itself is mostly protected. Perhaps when enough rock chips are on the front PPF I'll just get it changed.
Unfortunately it looks like the damage is on the paint as well
Old 06-09-2020, 10:18 PM

C63s coupe
Originally Posted by lyjw88
Unfortunately it looks like the damage is on the paint as well

yea it went through the ppf and chipped the paint 🙄 I was seeing if anyone had tried a vinyl wrap same colour if it has come out similar any way. ( trying to avoid respirating the front bumper - and then not getting a match. Maybe even just a spot of touch up paint.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:27 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Gee63s
yea it went through the ppf and chipped the paint 🙄 I was seeing if anyone had tried a vinyl wrap same colour if it has come out similar any way. ( trying to avoid respirating the front bumper - and then not getting a match. Maybe even just a spot of touch up paint.
Other than a repaint, the best option is to sand the lifted paint down and then touch it up.

Wrap will not work. First, it won't match the paint. It will look like someone resprayed your car and got the color match completely off. Second, it looks like some of the paint has lifted. A wrap will cover the exposed metal/primer but it will still emphasize the physical change. If you ever seen a wrap where dirt was stuck underneath, it is visible as a slight bump. This could be solvable by sanding the bump down, but at that point you might as well repaint it and ensure a proper color match.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:49 PM

C63s coupe
Originally Posted by obbob
Other than a repaint, the best option is to sand the lifted paint down and then touch it up.

Wrap will not work. First, it won't match the paint. It will look like someone resprayed your car and got the color match completely off. Second, it looks like some of the paint has lifted. A wrap will cover the exposed metal/primer but it will still emphasize the physical change. If you ever seen a wrap where dirt was stuck underneath, it is visible as a slight bump. This could be solvable by sanding the bump down, but at that point you might as well repaint it and ensure a proper color match.

sounds like I’ll try to sand and touch up option as it’s only small. My fear of respraying the front bumper is that when it’s done the colour is slightly off. I’ve been told that no 2 magno paints identical... trying to avoid that 😂
Old 06-10-2020, 10:55 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63s ED1 Coupe
Is covering it with a front lip an option?
Old 06-10-2020, 11:38 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 C63S coupe
you can get a brabus carbon front lip that will go over that section of the lip covering the damage, and protecting from future damage