Sponsored by:

Cold Start Rpm/Exhaust Normal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 02:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by msd3075
It has nothing to do with the ambient temperature and everything to do with the engine oil temperature. Next time you start the car up, key off of that oil temp reading.

If the engine oil temp is below 70-75F (~20-23C), you'll get the aggressive cold start. If it's above that, you'll get the "normal" start. Even if the engine oil reading is blue, you'll get the "normal" start if the reading at startup is above those temps.
Oil temperature was 13C this morning and start up idle was 900rpm then quickly dropped to 600, the noise on the move is no different PE on or off, no pops and crackles in sport+, on idle I can see the valves open and close, all I can think of the new software has affected fuelling and the centre cross pipe valve, it’s really buggered it up.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:19 AM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by Fordgt40
I wish I could turn the clock back, it was done a few days ago, as we all know part of the attraction of these cars apart from the performance is the sound.
Quick update, after a couple of weeks the car is gradually getting it’s voice back, still doesn’t pop and crackle as much as before but it’s getting better.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Quick update, after a couple of weeks the car is gradually getting it’s voice back, still doesn’t pop and crackle as much as before but it’s getting better.
IT will get better.. its weird , but it does..
Old 11-14-2020, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C63 S
I understand what you’re saying but I do know my car, prior to this update, if it was shut off for 3 or 4 hours it would always do a cold start, only when left for more than 3 days did it do the low revs start, switch off and immediately start again and it would do the cold start.
Confirming I always have the same warm cold-start issue after I let my 2016 c63s sit for 3 days or more. I brought this up issue up when I serviced my car at the dealership June 2019 but they just said to leave the car with them (for a week) so I said no thanks (since they will only have one shot with experiencing the low idle, then have to wait another 3 days to recreate the scenario). The quick fix has been immediately turning off the engine then starting it up... then it does the cold start. I live on Oahu so it’s tropical weather all year round.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63S Coupe
Hey guys,

Seems like there is a recall addressing this matter now in the United State as I just got a letter from MBUSA yesterday.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63S Coupe
But as Fordgt40 said, pops and crackles might be affected.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:48 PM

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars
Had it done, it’s messed things up, exhaust is quite a bit quieter, start up idle speed is now 8-900rpm whether it’s been stationary for 1day or 4 days and much quieter than before, my advice is don’t have it done.
I understand what you’re saying but I do know my car, prior to this update, if it was shut off for 3 or 4 hours it would always do a cold start, only when left for more than 3 days did it do the low revs start, switch off and immediately start again and it would do the cold start.
Digging up an old thread. @Fordgt40 is your car still doing a proper cold start as expected?

I have a GT R and mine was going through a very similar situation after dealer performed an update (for another matter). The first two weeks or so car is quiet/low idling when cold starting. Now it's getting better.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:13 PM

C63 amg esate
Yes it does a proper cold start, 1200 rpm dropping to 700 after a few seconds depending on outside temp., exhaust noise is still quieter than when it was new, no pops or crackles on sport+, it’s the software upgrades done at dealer service intervals here in the u.k. that’s buggered it up, had an issue with H valve recently, getting the actuating motor replaced next week.
The following users liked this post:
LAsunset (01-29-2022)