C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Audio System - done!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 10:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 MB C63s Coupe, 2004 Audi S4, 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder, building Cobra Daytona Coupe now
Aftermarket Audio System - done!

I am admittedly pretty far out on the spectrum of audio obessive-compulsive, but thought I'd share a summary of the system just completed in my 2019 C63s Coupe. Again, with the self-aware caveat that I am extremely particular, I was very unhappy with the Burmester system, and didn't think the issues could really be solved with the stock speaker locations. So, Broken Silence in Greenwich CT rebuilt the A-pillars to include tweeters, built custom pods in the front door for midbass, but used the stock locations for the 4" mids. The rear deck speakers were retained for a bit of fill. Front stage is 3-way Morel 38 Limited Edition components, amplification is 2x Audison Voce 5-channel amps (there is an extra sub channel left over in case I want to add a second sub), the stock battery was replaced with 2 XS power batteries, an Audison Bit Nove used for processing, and a Morel 10" sub/custom box in the trunk. All electronics were hidden under the trunk floor. The speakers are still breaking in but it is by a wide margin the best sounding car system I've ever heard, and BJ Curcio's workmanship was incredible - I can't speak highly enough of him. I've attached a bunch of pics and the link to BJ's Facebook page is below. If anyone is in southwestern CT and contemplating any electronics mods to their car I'm happy to let you check it out, and if I can be helpful remotely that's fine too!

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenSilenceCCA/

The following 3 users liked this post by ABuds:
sherwin_p (10-26-2020), Slowlane (10-26-2020), tobeit (10-27-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
workmanship looks GREAT... congrats!
Old 10-26-2020, 10:42 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
C63
That's a clever design for the custom pods in the front doors and the sub. How long did it take to complete?
Old 10-26-2020, 10:59 AM

2019 MB C63s Coupe, 2004 Audi S4, 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder, building Cobra Daytona Coupe now
A long time - a few months. To be fair to BJ there were a couple of holdups along the way. The first issue was one of space, compounded by COVID-related supply chain issues. As you can tell from the pic, the batteries take up pretty much all of the available space. It took some quite time to figure out which batteries to use, and due to COVID the first choice had a 2-3 month backlog so we switched to choice #2. The first Bit Nove processor was also DOA (juts a bad unit) so that also slowed things down, and along the way there was a COVID closure of his shop so we lost some time there too. Also to be fair, I was crystal clear that there was no rush and I had a strong preference for slow but well thought out and well done vs. any rushing. The end result was worth the wait!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:20 PM

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
17 C63S coupe
Love the custom A pillars and door enclosures, your installer did an amazing job!! Did you ever consider going with a super capacitor bank in place of your second battery? You would save considerable weight and can configure in a way that would take less room and actually have more accessible power during drops. It acts as a huge cap (500+ farads @ 16V max) if you go with the XS powers. Regardless, very nice!
Old 10-27-2020, 10:01 AM

I did ask about using a capacitor before he started the job and for reasons I don't recall he had a strong view to just go with more battery. From a weight perspective at least it's where the car could use it the most - over the rear tires. The original plan was to go with smaller lithium batteries but in large part due to COVID he couldn't source them in anywhere close to a timely manner so we went with these. I figure when the batteries start to go we can figure out the best option then for replacement, without any time pressure.
He really did do an amazing job and focuses on quality everywhere, not just what is visible - can't recommend him enough!