Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone went. to a C63s from a BMW M4?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2020 | 02:11 PM

GLE400, 2017 Porsche 911S
Anyone went. to a C63s from a BMW M4?

I am in the market for a performance convertible. The C63s is at the top of the list but I still have a few other selections in mind. The new 2021 BMW M4 convertible looks appealing when it comes out, mostly from the standpoint of performance and the fact that it will be a rag top convertible. Has anyone driven an M4 that can make a comparrison to the MB C63 or C63s?
Old 11-09-2020 | 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
No driving experience in the M, but if I'm getting a convertible, exhaust sound is going to be very high up on the list of priorities. The AMG will blow the M out of the water in the sound department with the top down.
Old 11-12-2020 | 12:21 PM

2021 AMG C63 S Sedan
not exactly what you are asking, but I did got from a 2016 M3 to a 2018 C63 S. The M3 "felt" more nimble and had less body roll, but would beat me to death on imperfect roads....even in comfort mode. In every other way though the C63 is far superior IMHO. The sound of the M3 was horrible, between the dump truck engine note to the fake engine noise pumped into the cabin. The power was good, but the traction nannies would constantly trigger no matter what.

The C63 is more fun, hands down without question. It sounds better and again in my opinion it looks better than the M3. I also found the C63 much smoother to drive over rough surfaces and less jerky in low speed driving.

The funny thing is all the guys on the BMW groups blasted me for moving to MB and how I would be back, etc etc. I can say with confidence that is not going to happen, I love my C63 S.
Old 01-06-2021 | 01:46 PM

c63s
Originally Posted by wings02
I am in the market for a performance convertible. The C63s is at the top of the list but I still have a few other selections in mind. The new 2021 BMW M4 convertible looks appealing when it comes out, mostly from the standpoint of performance and the fact that it will be a rag top convertible. Has anyone driven an M4 that can make a comparrison to the MB C63 or C63s?
Yes, I did exactly this. 2016 M4 Convertible to a 2019 C63S Convertible. You can do some searches in the forums, as there are multiple posts on this subject, but to summarize (for me):
  • I prefer the soft top on the AMG. The hard top on the M4 was too heavy when up and you could definitely feel the weight in the corners. Also the top gets squeeky after a while. The hard top also takes too long to go up/put down. Lastly, you can't be moving past like 13 MPH to raise/lower it, which is actually very annoying. AMG goes up/down up to 37 MPH which is a practical god send. Everyone always complains about the dual-color look of the soft top being an issue, and people think soft tops are just a cop out way for manufacturers to cheapen their product, but this couldn't be further from the truth. The soft top lessens weight, has nearly no noticeable sound difference when up and like i said is much quicker to operate.
  • The engine in the AMG is just OMG better than the M4. The M4 is quick, but it doesn't have that visceral feeling that you're going to lose control at any moment haha (in a good way of course). It just feels like a special engine--and car--because of it.
  • The sound on the AMG is soooo much better (stock). Nuff said on that one
  • Everything inside the AMG is sooo much better. I feel like I'm in a luxury car when inside it. Couldn't say the same for the M4. It definitely has a luxury element to it, but it's just not a departure from the rest of the BMW lineup. AMG takes it to another level beyond regular MBZs.
  • The M4 definitely feels more balanced and neutral through the corners. It handles much better than the AMG, however, in the vert, you have to keep the top down. Even BMW says top down is 50/50 weight balance...
  • Proportionally, I like the M4's look. It's not too bulgy or fat or uneven anywhere. It looks great with the top down. Very seamless. As a whole, I like the shape of the M4 better. That said, specific elements of the AMG are much better looking. For example, the front end is awesome looking to me, whereas the M4 is boring--you can hardly tell it's an M4 vs a 3-series beyond the hood bump. Maybe if you look closely real quick you will see the front splitter differences, but not as easy to spot. I'm not as much a fan of the rear end of the AMG, I think the M4 looks better here, but the exhaust and width of the AMG's rear make up for the bulbous trunk. In the end, this is subjective, but I just like most everything else about the AMG to care about any little misgivings in the look.
I could go on, but again, there are plenty of past posts you can find. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2021 | 02:23 PM

GLE400, 2017 Porsche 911S
Great review! Thank you for taking the time to write. Hopefully I'll have the car in March.
The following users liked this post:
mrguitar (01-20-2021)