Sponsored by:

Looking to retrofit FL steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
991.1 C2S
Looking to retrofit FL steering wheel

So the alcantara on my wheel has worn off pretty bad and i'm looking to replace my steering wheel with a leather one. While i'm at it, I was thinking of just upgrading to the new facelifted steering wheels. Can someone help me out by providing me with the part numbers I need to order to make this happen? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2021, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,633 Posts
2019 C63CS
This has come up a few times already, but I don't remember anybody having been able to successfully do this with an OE FL steering wheel. The FL steering wheel is not a direct replacement for the PFL steering wheel. The signals are not compatible, so there are third-party companies that offer retrofit steering wheels complete with a custom module to adapt the FL signals to the PFL compatible signals. There are a couple of considerations, though:
  • The AMG Drive Unit as far as I know cannot be retrofitted to the PFL, so if you are looking to control the drive mode settings from the steering wheel then that's a no-go to the best of my knowledge
  • The FL steering wheel has the DISTRONIC/CC controls on the wheel itself whereas the PFL has a stalk for that. The controls on the steering wheel to the best of my knowledge will be non-functional and you have to continue to use the stalk to control DISTRONIC/CC
  • The touchpads on the FL steering wheel that control the instrument cluster and the COMAND system I believe also won't work quite right.
Even with the third-party replacements, those who have tried them have run into issues with the signal converter not working correctly. I've heard of issues with the shift paddles no longer working for example. Not sure if they were ever able to resolve those. There are a few YouTubers that have attempted this and they pretty much all had to go back and forward with the third-party vendor and exchange custom modules until it was sort of working. The AutoVlog guy who was on here a while back when he still owned his C63 did it for example. You can probably find his videos to get an idea.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-13-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:12 AM

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
C63s
It will work all perfectly except AMG control unit as superswiss is saying

But you will need both an adapter and also coding to make the touchpads work