Sponsored by:

Cleaning Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Cleaning Engine Bay

I just picked up this c63s and it was transported through a sandstorm. I'd like to wash my engine bay with some soap and water however I'm unsure of what parts I should cover. I'm assuming turbos and any exposed electrical wires but is this the right way to go about doing this? I'm guessing everyone cleans their engine bay with a microfiber towel and some water which is what I would do but this thing is filthy. Any tips on what else to cover or just avoid the soap and water method and stick to microfiber cloths?

Old 08-25-2021, 08:37 PM

Received 310 Likes on 236 Posts
C43
I would use some lightly damp towels (warm water) and manually clean.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by C43HeartBoost
This. Recently cleaned up my engine bay a bit doing exactly this. If you have a bunch of sand and stuff you can't get to, maybe use some compressed air.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,534 Posts
2019 C63CS
It's pretty much completely safe to hose down a modern engine bay. All the sensitive parts are water-proofed. It's generally not recommended to pressure wash the engine bay, or at least not spray at things like the alternator, air intakes etc. with high pressure. You don't wanna spray directly from the front either way as otherwise water may get into the intake and potentially hydrolock your engine.

This link may help. You can also google how to clean an engine bay and there are lots of YouTube videos about it.

https://canadiangearhead.com/safe-to...ur-engine-bay/
Old 08-26-2021, 08:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
2021 C63S Coupe
I routinely foam and pressure wash (from a distance) my engine bay on my Jeep - and wouldn't hesitate to the the same on my 63 or 43 if they needed it. Don't be scared - just don't get close with the pressure and when you're done, use a leaf blower or compressed air to blow off - then start it and let run (or go drive it).
Old 08-26-2021, 12:09 PM

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts
2010 BMW E63 M6 Coupe 2023 AMG C63s Coupe 2005 YZF-R1
Originally Posted by superswiss
It's pretty much completely safe to hose down a modern engine bay. All the sensitive parts are water-proofed. It's generally not recommended to pressure wash the engine bay, or at least not spray at things like the alternator, air intakes etc. with high pressure. You don't wanna spray directly from the front either way as otherwise water may get into the intake and potentially hydrolock your engine.

This link may help. You can also google how to clean an engine bay and there are lots of YouTube videos about it.

Back in the 90's, I had a Pontiac Grand Am SE Turbo...I took it to one of those self car washes and pressure washed the engine right after I bought the car. The engine blew, I'm assuming it got hydrolocked the way you're saying. I've been too chicken to ever wash an engine since, I always use wet towels and detail spray to go over the engine bay surfaces. The engine rebuild cost around $2,500 back then. I later upgraded it to a '90 Turbo Grand Prix.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Appreciate the responses folks! This is my first benz so I wanted to make sure all the precautions were taken.

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
This. Recently cleaned up my engine bay a bit doing exactly this. If you have a bunch of sand and stuff you can't get to, maybe use some compressed air.
Good call on the compressed air I didn't think of that. Def will do that

Originally Posted by C43HeartBoost
I think after my initial clean I will upkeep the engine bay one every other week using this method. I currently do that for my Honda and it keeps it clean.

Originally Posted by superswiss

Thanks for the link! Good read will def use some of those pointers. I wasn't planning on getting close with the foam cannon or pressure washer so will spray from a distance and avoid getting up close into any part of the engine.

Originally Posted by djprov431
I routinely foam and pressure wash (from a distance) my engine bay on my Jeep - and wouldn't hesitate to the the same on my 63 or 43 if they needed it. Don't be scared - just don't get close with the pressure and when you're done, use a leaf blower or compressed air to blow off - then start it and let run (or go drive it).
Yup agreed will keep the pressure washer and foam cannon a good distance away from the engine bay and ensure the water doesn't get forced into any area.