Sponsored by:

Google Maps and Comand (PFL C63)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 C55 AMG, 2017 AMG C63
Google Maps and Comand (PFL C63)?

Is there a way for Google Maps to play over Bluetooth without interruption? When I'm playing a podcast, the directions cause the podcast to stop, but there is no audible sound from the directions (just a silent pause). I don't have this problem when I play music over Bluetooth with Apple Music though. The music volume just lowers as the directions speak, which is how every modern car I've driven works.

I've also noticed that when I first get in the car and bluetooth connects automatically, the screen will say "Bluetooth Paused", so Google Maps navigation directions are not audible through the car system due to it being "paused". It only plays navigation directions through the speakers when I first connect through a song playing over bluetooth. Is there a way to play directions and not have bluetooth paused?

I know that Apple Carplay would make this much simpler, but I'm not ready to attempt that modification yet. I'm a fairly new owner of a PFL C63, and am still trying to figure things out under warranty.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
sorry can't help but only recommend you make that step to Carplay sooner than later. Bluetooth anything in our cars is just...not good.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,944 Likes on 2,632 Posts
2019 C63CS
Not sure what's going on with the podcast situation, but this is entirely handled by the phone. I've heard of a buggy interaction with Google Maps and podcasts before. The iPhone differentiates between types of audio. For music it just lowers the volume so you can hear the navigation instructions, but for podcasts or voice sources in general, it pauses them, so that you don't miss anything on the podcast, and the navigation instructions and the podcast are not talking over each other, but as said, I've read reports from others that this is not always working properly. I don't listen to podcasts, so I don't have experience with it myself.

Google Maps gives you two options though for how to play the navigation instructions over Bluetooth. You can either play them as a Bluetooth "phone call", or as Bluetooth audio. The former has the benefit that you don't need to be in Media with the Bluetooth source active. The navigation instructions will come on regardless of your current audio source. Basically, just like a phone call. However, there can be delays with this option as the COMAND system may take a fraction of a second to switch over to Bluetooth and that causes the first part of the navigation instruction to be dropped. You can give it a try, though.