C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes coming off turbos... and ugly foil covering...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2021 | 10:29 PM

2016 C63s Estate Edition 1
Pipes coming off turbos... and ugly foil covering...

Hi all,

Quick question for the brains trust. I have just fitted up my new Blackboost turbos. Pic below (Teal green turbos). I was wondering what the weird foil type covering is for that my tuner left on the small pipes that come off the turbos? is it required? What are those pipes for? The other pic (blue turbos), which is of a friends turbos on his C63s, show his removed and in my opinion it looks much better and cleaner without the covering. After trolling the net I see 80-90% of people leave that ugly foil stuff on which makes me think it must be necessary, or is it? I'd prefer it gone but don't want to remove in case it is crucial it stays... Please advise guys! Thanks in advance... and Happy New year to all...

friends turbos without foil covering.. Pipes look much cleaner and neater in my opinion...

my turbos with weird foil covering

Last edited by mjcw77; 12-30-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2021 | 10:53 PM

W205 C63 AMG Coupe
That protects the lines from the immense amount of heat produced by the turbos. If you care about longevity, you'll want to keep that on there.
The following users liked this post:
mjcw77 (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021 | 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by SJGetsome
That protects the lines from the immense amount of heat produced by the turbos. If you care about longevity, you'll want to keep that on there.
and what are those pipes for? Do you know? It's weird as half of the piping is covered from factory and the other half isn't... That is why I am curious as to what they are and if the cover is needed....? Also, they are on the intake side of the turbo which doesnt get that hot com[ared to the exhuast side so Im unsure about heat being an issue overall...
Old 12-30-2021 | 06:54 AM

W205 C63s 2015
Originally Posted by mjcw77
and what are those pipes for? Do you know? It's weird as half of the piping is covered from factory and the other half isn't... That is why I am curious as to what they are and if the cover is needed....? Also, they are on the intake side of the turbo which doesnt get that hot com[ared to the exhuast side so Im unsure about heat being an issue overall...

Last edited by zipzap; 12-30-2021 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2021 | 06:58 AM

W205 C63s 2015
Originally Posted by mjcw77
hay mate , that is the main oil feed to the turbos.
Reason for the covers ? I’m actually not 100% sure , they definitely look like heat reflective covers. They could be spray covers for if a line developed a crack you wouldn’t instantly spray oil onto the exhaust manifold.I always kept mine covers on when running the pure 900”s , when I switched to the Yp4 turbos you run crimped stainless lines which have black silicon flame shield on all the lines as well. The other lines in the area are water cooling lines.
The following users liked this post:
mjcw77 (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021 | 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by zipzap
hay mate , that is the main oil feed to the turbos.
Reason for the covers ? I’m actually not 100% sure , they definitely look like heat reflective covers. They could be spray covers for if a line developed a crack you wouldn’t instantly spray oil onto the exhaust manifold.I always kept mine covers on when running the pure 900”s , when I switched to the Yp4 turbos you run crimped stainless lines which have black silicon flame shield on all the lines as well. The other lines in the area are water cooling lines.
Hey ZipZap,

Ok, thanks for that. If you check out the pic of my mates blue turbos, the lines underneath are solid metal. One section even has braided line covering so I dont think they would ever burst. Also, the right side turbo doesnt even have the covering at all which baffles me as to why they would do one side and not the other... hmmmm.