Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2022 | 04:16 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
Tire question

I just had my rear wheel replaced covered under the MB Tire and Wheel package. While replacing the wheel 2 nails were discovered inside the tire. The tire was also replaced under the same policy. I now realized why the tire pressure dropped so slightly.
Believe my current Michelin Pilot Sport 4S fronts are now about 19,000miles but not sure if any were replaced over last 3+ years.
After the wheel and tire were replaced I Recieved an email from MB regarding my "Tire Health" (below photo) listing my front tires are considered MARGINAL.
1... Do these front tires need to be replaced now?
2... I see on Tire Rack list a front tires called the Pilot Sport 4S a Star BMW version are available. Would I be able to use them with my current rear tires which are the standard Pilot Sport 4S or will I still need the original Pilot Sport 4S for the fronts tires?

Old 07-24-2022 | 02:27 AM

C63s
Tires look fine to run a while longer. You can swap to the star BMW version, there's no mechanical issue with it. The difference is a slightly different construction that falls somewhere between the standard PS4S and the PSC2.
The following users liked this post:
jj18 (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022 | 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Your alignment is out and it’s tearing up the front tires.

You have two choices. One, keep driving on the tires you have and run the risk of sliding around the first good rain you get. Losing control in the front is more dangerous than the rears losing it. You can’t steer.

Two, get, at a minimum, two front tires and get a 4 wheel alignment.

If it were me, I’d replace all four and get the alignment at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
jj18 (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022 | 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Your alignment is out and it’s tearing up the front tires. ...
I'd strongly disagree with that. Assuming that the numbers provided are in 32nds of an inch (NO report should ever leave off the units!), a 1/32" variance in 1 of 4 cross-tread measurements is not that significant. If you're in a wet climate, you don't want to go below the 3/32" indicator-bars on the tread, due to increased risk of hydroplaning.

New PS4S treads are 8/32" (just measured a new set I have on stand-by) ... so if you have (8/32" new - 3/32" worn) 5/32" usable tread when new and you're now down to (5/32" - 3/32") 2/32" usable tread remaining, you still have (2/32" out of 5/32" or 4/10) 40% of your tread remaining.

Also realize that 1/32" is quite possibly a measurement error. With most tread-depth measuring tools you need to be very meticulous about your measurements not to have a 1/32" variance.

So I agree with '1663s and would say you have many more miles life remaining in those tires. Be nice to your pocket-book and the environment and use those miles. $;-))

Also, every car owner should own and intermittently use a tire tread-depth measurement tool. They're inexpensive and easy to use. Tires and brakes are of critical importance and seem to be among the "most-scammed for early/unnecessary replacement" parts. <grrrrr>
The following 3 users liked this post by user33:
jj18 (07-24-2022), MaxVO2 (07-24-2022), rianos (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022 | 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Originally Posted by user33
I'd strongly disagree with that. Assuming that the numbers provided are in 32nds of an inch (NO report should ever leave off the units!), a 1/32" variance in 1 of 4 cross-tread measurements is not that significant. If you're in a wet climate, you don't want to go below the 3/32" indicator-bars on the tread, due to increased risk of hydroplaning.

New PS4S treads are 8/32" (just measured a new set I have on stand-by) ... so if you have (8/32" new - 3/32" worn) 5/32" usable tread when new and you're now down to (5/32" - 3/32") 2/32" usable tread remaining, you still have (2/32" out of 5/32" or 4/10) 40% of your tread remaining.

Also realize that 1/32" is quite possibly a measurement error. With most tread-depth measuring tools you need to be very meticulous about your measurements not to have a 1/32" variance.

So I agree with '1663s and would say you have many more miles life remaining in those tires. Be nice to your pocket-book and the environment and use those miles. $;-))

Also, every car owner should own and intermittently use a tire tread-depth measurement tool. They're inexpensive and easy to use. Tires and brakes are of critical importance and seem to be among the "most-scammed for early/unnecessary replacement" parts. <grrrrr>
The right front is a concern to me. One thing the OP did not state is if the tires are showing any cupping or edging. I know from experience, MB AMG cars like the W204 and to an extent the W205 are notorious for getting out of alignment quickly. Over the last ten or so years, I've owned an '09 C63 sedan with P1 and P2 package, a '13 C63 coupe with the AMG Dev Pkg and now a '20 C63S coupe. the '09 and the '13 were always, so it seemed, needing an alignment. And that's not from hitting potholes. The C63S coupe so far is doing well with Conti Extreme Sport Contacts.

So, in my opinion I'll stand by my statement as I'm sure you will.