Sponsored by:

Car not automatic shift into park when pressed the engine off button

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2022 | 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Car not automatic shift into park when pressed the engine off button

When you’re in drive pulling in your garage then stop with your foot on the brake then you pressed the engine start/stop button to turn off the engine. The car does not go into park. Is this normal?
Old 10-04-2022 | 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yes, normal for the PFL. No, not normal for the FL. The PFL goes into park once you open the driver's door, but the FL goes into park as soon as you turn off the engine. I stopped doing it, though, because it regularly caused the transmission to jerk going into D and R from P the next time I started the car. Not manually putting it into P messed up the adaptation. The issue has gone away since I always put it in P first before turning off the engine. Putting the drive mode in C before turning off the engine also seemed to help.
Old 10-04-2022 | 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, normal for the PFL.
I cracked mine front lip because of this. I get used to just press the engine start/stop in the M4 and it goes into park and so I keep forgetting when I drive the AMG. I’m surprised they can’t fixed with a software patch.
Old 10-04-2022 | 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Klinh
I cracked mine front lip because of this. I get used to just press the engine start/stop in the M4 and it goes into park and so I keep forgetting when I drive the AMG. I’m surprised they can’t fixed with a software patch.
Ouch! They probably could fix it, but they have to see it as a problem first. The way it works in the PFL is definitely odd. The FL also immediately applies the parking brake when shutting off the engine, so there never is a chance for the car to accidentally roll.
Old 10-05-2022 | 02:57 PM

2015 E400 Coupe, 2018 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
The FL also immediately applies the parking brake when shutting off the engine, so there never is a chance for the car to accidentally roll.
Weird, I'm pretty sure the '18 is PFL, and it sets the parking brake on shutdown as well. Maybe a code thing? The last maintenance receipt I have from the previous owner shows a ECU update from the dealership...
Old 11-24-2023 | 02:41 AM

AMG A45
Originally Posted by Klinh

yes same issue !! My car ( 2018 FL A45 )recently rolled into the car in front of me and whacked the tow bar. Minor bumper damage but it could have been much worse. This is an oversight by MB. There should be a P position on the damned shifter….. simple.