Sponsored by:

C63s w205 - better sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 09:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by EnuffBeeEss
THIS In this video he clicks the ASR valve open/shut button from outside the car at 5:34 and 6:28 and there is quite clearly a substantially different sound between the each setting when idling.

Anyone who says "there is no difference" I think quite literally needs their hearing checked. Seriously. There is obviously an audible difference when idling.

Whether the difference is worth the price of the unit is a total other and valid question.
Again, ASR Off = Valves Closed. He's not showing the difference between Valves open (stock) vs ASR on.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:08 PM

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
c63s
Originally Posted by Ragunarok
Again, ASR Off = Valves Closed. He's not showing the difference between Valves open (stock) vs ASR on.
Valves(stock) only open fully above 4k RPM even with exhaust button on.
ASR will open valves fully from 0 RPM and upwards. Stock valves does not open fully even with exhaust button pushed from 0 to 4k Rpm range.
Also keep in mind ASR off= Stock (exhaust button should still remain on unless they press it off)
Maybe you’re referring to valves open as having the exhaust button pushed on. Well he didn’t turn off the exhaust button in both instances so you he is showing Stock (exhaust on) vs ASR on (exhaust on).

Last edited by mbny1234; 11-21-2023 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:05 AM

C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by mbny1234
Valves(stock) only open fully above 4k RPM even with exhaust button on.
ASR will open valves fully from 0 RPM and upwards. Stock valves does not open fully even with exhaust button pushed from 0 to 4k Rpm range.
Also keep in mind ASR off= Stock (exhaust button should still remain on unless they press it off)
Maybe you’re referring to valves open as having the exhaust button pushed on. Well he didn’t turn off the exhaust button in both instances so you he is showing Stock (exhaust on) vs ASR on (exhaust on).
ASR off doesn't equal stock but flaps fully closed mate.
Old 11-22-2023, 11:09 AM

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
c63s
From Renntech website:THE EVM EXHAUST VALVE MODULE

100% OPEN OR BACK TO STOCK WITH THE PUSH OF A BUTTON

Link:
https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...t-valve-module

Old 11-22-2023, 01:47 PM

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts
C63s
Yep, I had the renntech module in both PFL and FL.

Sound with module on is day and night
Old 12-08-2023, 01:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
B9 S5 SB
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yep, I think it's subtle. It's perhaps 10% louder maybe. From inside the cabin as demonstrated by the first video, you can barely make out the difference. These videos are misleading. You don't see the rpms while he is revving it. It obviously gets louder the higher you rev it. Not very scientific if he is just revving it with his foot. That's not a controlled and reproducible experiment.
In my prefacelift C63 the difference is 30% IMO between Sport+ valves open and Sport+ valves open and ASR module on. At least for me best mod for 300€.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,857 Likes on 2,579 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Johto
In my prefacelift C63 the difference is 30% IMO between Sport+ valves open and Sport+ valves open and ASR module on. At least for me best mod for 300€.
Even so, that's only below 4000 rpm, because above 4000 rpm the valves are fully open anyway, so 0% louder. Over the entire rev band that's about an average of 15% louder if we are going with your unscientific number, a little more as 4000 rpm is a bit higher than half way between 0 and redline. If you really wanna know, measure the dBA level. dBA is weighted to the human ear.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
C63 MY15
I have an ASR valve controller on my PFL, I sold it because I found there wasn't that much difference.

I then bought another a few months later to give it another go, and there is a difference, but when in sport/sport+ and you have the OEM valve control set to open, and then use the EVM, it's not a huge amount of difference.

I do think it makes some difference, but it's not night and day when in sport/sport+ - it is kinda useful for comfort, or in my case, the odd occasion when I need to leave at 6am on a weekend and it stops the cold start waking the neighbourhood up.

To be honest I was sort of hoping it would make the car significantly louder when on a run / hooning - but, what you hear inside the car vs outside is markedly different. Despite the interior's shortcomings in the quality department, the sound insulation is actually pretty decent.

In the car, it's often very muted, but when you hear the car rev from the outside, even with a stock exhaust and the EVM, it is really very loud and obnoxious
Old 12-13-2023, 04:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C 63 S
Talking

Hi guys, I think that talking about percentages of difference in sound is very unserious, every 3 dBA is an increase twice as much as the previous value.
I have had the ASR module for about two years now, the difference is more than evident in comfort mode. It is clear that it is not like having a straight pipe, but saying that there is no difference is very strange to me, in comfort mode, with the valves closed and open when activating the ASR module, the sound is much more aggressive and deeper.
For me it is one of the best options, with a single button I can have a silent car again and leave my garage without waking my wife and daughter.

Sorry if Google Translate hasn't done its job well.TalkingTalking
The following users liked this post:
C60 Free (12-13-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 11:42 AM

C63 S AMG
What's up guys, 2020 C63 S owner here. If someone already mentioned the following apologies.

I have the Renntech exhaust module. The module turned on plus the stock exhaust button on (Powerful setting) produces a great and proper V8 sound under load/higher RPMs. I was under the impression that with this module once installed and turned on, you had all exhaust flaps open 100% but this is not true, it only controls the muffler flaps. There is a 3rd flap in our x-pipe that only the OEM exhaust button controls. The module Is really only designed to bring up the sound at lower and cruising RPMs. I discovered this by pressing the OEM exhaust button under load with the Renntech module on as well. The exhaust note sounded even louder.

Program your Individual setting button to Sport+ or Race, and Powerful exhaust setting and all you have to do is press a button. Leave the module on at all time. The Renntech one remembers the ON setting so you never have to touch it again. Overall expensive but worth the purchase. After that I dont think this car needs anything else on the exhaust system.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 MB C63s Coupe RENNtech
Renntech mufflers with the Renntech EVM are a great option. I sold my EVM's but still have the mufflers for sale in the market place (https://mbworld.org/forums/market/879571)
Want to get rid of the muffler so will make you a solid deal if interested.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:11 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
C63S Coupe/CLA45
Originally Posted by CapoArgentino
What's up guys, 2020 C63 S owner here. If someone already mentioned the following apologies.

I have the Renntech exhaust module. The module turned on plus the stock exhaust button on (Powerful setting) produces a great and proper V8 sound under load/higher RPMs. I was under the impression that with this module once installed and turned on, you had all exhaust flaps open 100% but this is not true, it only controls the muffler flaps. There is a 3rd flap in our x-pipe that only the OEM exhaust button controls. The module Is really only designed to bring up the sound at lower and cruising RPMs. I discovered this by pressing the OEM exhaust button under load with the Renntech module on as well. The exhaust note sounded even louder.

Program your Individual setting button to Sport+ or Race, and Powerful exhaust setting and all you have to do is press a button. Leave the module on at all time. The Renntech one remembers the ON setting so you never have to touch it again. Overall expensive but worth the purchase. After that I dont think this car needs anything else on the exhaust system.

I also noticed that the H-pipe valve must not be open with the Renntech EVM because when set to race mode the H-pipe valve opens up louder causing a rattle as well which definitely means the middele valve was still closed. I really thought the EVM was advertised to open all the valves☹️

Last edited by hotdognobun; 01-03-2024 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W205 c63s
Hello, i bought the ASR module and i have to say its nothing «wow» about it but much better than stock. I now dont need to be driving in sport+/race as much just to hear the car. Its not a life changer but if you Want just a little change its a good upgrade. But i have to say i notice when i rev the car its a more deeper sound. Not alot but a little better than stock.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 63S
Originally Posted by TurboAK
Hello, i bought the ASR module and i have to say it’s nothing «wow» about it but much better than stock. I now dont need to be driving in sport+/race as much just to hear the car. It’s not a life changer but if you Want just a little change it’s a good upgrade. But i have to say i notice when i rev the car its a more deeper sound. Not alot but a little better than stock.
Do you have a face lift or pre-face lift c63? Surprising that you’ve mentioned it’s only a little better than stock. Some forum members say it’s a night and day difference and it’s definitely worth the money. I haven’t got mine yet but am looking to get one for my pre-face lift glc63.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:16 PM

W205 c63s
Originally Posted by GLC63Aus
Do you have a face lift or pre-face lift c63? Surprising that you’ve mentioned it’s only a little better than stock. Some forum members say it’s a night and day difference and it’s definitely worth the money. I haven’t got mine yet but am looking to get one for my pre-face lift glc63.

its the Pre-face, 2016 sedan.
its worth the buy, but nothing «wow». I used to always drive in sport+ for the sound but after the module i have started to drive in comfort more often because it has helped a bit with the sound. If youre looking for a small upgrade then its perfect. If youre looking for a huge upgrade then no in my opinion.
GLC63Aus (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 01:21 PM

GLC 63S
its the Pre-face, 2016 sedan.
its worth the buy, but nothing «wow». I used to always drive in sport+ for the sound but after the module i have started to drive in comfort more often because it has helped a bit with the sound. If youre looking for a small upgrade then its perfect. If youre looking for a huge upgrade then no in my opinion.
Great, thanks for that. I am looking forward to getting the valve module soon.

Also when you have the valves open with the module, does the factory exhaust button make any further difference to the sound? Some people are saying that the centre factory exhaust button controls the h pipe valve and/or there are some ECU changes so there is purpose to open the exhaust valve module as well using the factory exhaust button to get the most sound.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:31 PM

W205 c63s
Great, thanks for that. I am looking forward to getting the valve module soon.

Also when you have the valves open with the module, does the factory exhaust button make any further difference to the sound? Some people are saying that the centre factory exhaust button controls the h pipe valve and/or there are some ECU changes so there is purpose to open the exhaust valve module as well using the factory exhaust button to get the most sound.

Ive seen some people say the same but i cant hear any difference. The factory button dont work anymore but i still just press it just because some people say it effects the sound in higher speed…

GLC63Aus (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 05:51 PM

GLC 63S
Ive seen some people say the same but i cant hear any difference. The factory button dont work anymore but i still just press it just because some people say it effects the sound in higher speed…
thanks, will report back more once I get mine installed.

one other question - if you press the open and close button on the remote from outside the car (without the engine fully turned on) can you actually hear the valve open and close? I just wanted to check on this so when I get mine installed, I can double check the install has gone through all ok. TIA
Old 03-08-2024, 06:21 PM

W205 c63s
thanks, will report back more once I get mine installed.

one other question - if you press the open and close button on the remote from outside the car (without the engine fully turned on) can you actually hear the valve open and close? I just wanted to check on this so when I get mine installed, I can double check the install has gone through all ok. TIA

yes, you can hear it close and open. But you need to somethimes unlock the car before so the battery is activated.
GLC63Aus (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 12:46 PM

C63 S AMG
The Renntech module made a difference but its misleading in that it only opens the muffler valves 100% but it does not control the X pipe valve. For full sound I still have to press the OEM exhaust button to also open the x-pipe flap.
You get 3 sound settings with this module:

Stock = Renntech module OFF and OEM exhaust button OFF
Low RPM/load rumble = Renntech module ON and OEM exhaust button OFF
Low and High RPM full sound = Renntech module ON and OEM exhaust button ON

I learned this with the module on and doing a high load pull. I got even more sound after I pressed the OEM exhaust button as well. Originally thought the Renntech module was not opening them 100% and then I confirmed with Renntech that it only controls the muffler valves.

Because of this I still need to press the OEM exhaust button when I hop in the car. The Renntech module always stays ON until you change it and Im glad for that. With both ON it sounds really good, enough for me.
The module is pricey but I still think its worth it vs. messing with downpipes and aftermarket exhausts and emissions testing headaches.

Last edited by CapoArgentino; 03-19-2024 at 12:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CapoArgentino:
GLC63Aus (03-19-2024), TurboAK (03-19-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:59 PM

2020 C63s coupe
Originally Posted by Stamat
Hi guys, I think that talking about percentages of difference in sound is very unserious, every 3 dBA is an increase twice as much as the previous value.
I have had the ASR module for about two years now, the difference is more than evident in comfort mode. It is clear that it is not like having a straight pipe, but saying that there is no difference is very strange to me, in comfort mode, with the valves closed and open when activating the ASR module, the sound is much more aggressive and deeper.
For me it is one of the best options, with a single button I can have a silent car again and leave my garage without waking my wife and daughter.

Sorry if Google Translate hasn't done its job well.TalkingTalking

Well obviously if your in comfort mode and you hit open on the ASR its going to be louder , its the same thing as just hitting the stock exhaust button pretty much!
Ragunarok (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C63s
I have a 2019 C63s coupe that I bought used in '21, have been thinking of upgrading.. was actually considering downpipes + tune but then I saw this thread. I started looking at the Renntech module and realized "hey I've seen a little remote that looks like that in the trunk!" Turns out the last owner added the exhaust module and it's been off the entire time I've owned the car - I didn't even know it was on there lol!

As a review of the sound, I would say in comfort mode with the button set to open in the car, the exhaust sounds like 25% louder when I open valves using the Renntech module. And the sound/feel of the rumble while driving is noticeable as well. Tried to make a video on my phone and I agree you can't tell the difference but in person it is easily very noticeable.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:30 PM

2020 C63s coupe
Originally Posted by tp767
I have a 2019 C63s coupe that I bought used in '21, have been thinking of upgrading.. was actually considering downpipes + tune but then I saw this thread. I started looking at the Renntech module and realized "hey I've seen a little remote that looks like that in the trunk!" Turns out the last owner added the exhaust module and it's been off the entire time I've owned the car - I didn't even know it was on there lol!

As a review of the sound, I would say in comfort mode with the button set to open in the car, the exhaust sounds like 25% louder when I open valves using the Renntech module. And the sound/feel of the rumble while driving is noticeable as well. Tried to make a video on my phone and I agree you can't tell the difference but in person it is easily very noticeable.

question is it louder in sport + or race
Old 05-01-2024, 05:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C63s
In Sport+ yes it is, didn't try it in Race mode yet. You can even feel the difference in the way the car rumbles in Sport+ while sitting waiting for a light.