Sponsored by:

Custom Steering Wheel swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 03:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nothing Yet
Custom Steering Wheel swap

I have a 2016 C63s Sedan and the steering wheel looks like it has the 60k miles that it does. I have done the cleaning and used the brushes etc and it certainly improves the look and feel but the alcantara is still worn and thin certain spots. I have begun exploring the idea of a new steering wheel. I've swapped wheels on previous cars with new OEM wheels and it really does improve the feeling of driving the car considering this is an item you touch 100% of the time you use the vehicle.

My question to this group is if anyone has purchased one of these customer wheels from the likes of Carbontastic or Carbon City Customs or another place like that. I love the idea of being able to custom design something but I am concerned about a step down in quality. I assume there are higher and lower quality aftermarket items but it is very challenging to figure out which is which as the pricing seems to be pretty similar. I did a search on the forum and really didn't see anyone showing off their new wheel either so I couldn't find any examples that were not advertisements.

Does anyone have any experience doing this swap on their car?
Old 12-18-2023, 06:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 Coupe
I have the carbontastic wheel its really nice but the carbon creaks towards the bottom of the wheel which is really irritating. The leather quality is good not great.. for 2k I wish it was better
The following users liked this post:
ilax028 (12-22-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 08:33 PM

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts
04 E55, 06 E55, 05 G55, 14 E63s, 12 cls63
Originally Posted by ilax028
I have a 2016 C63s Sedan and the steering wheel looks like it has the 60k miles that it does. I have done the cleaning and used the brushes etc and it certainly improves the look and feel but the alcantara is still worn and thin certain spots. I have begun exploring the idea of a new steering wheel. I've swapped wheels on previous cars with new OEM wheels and it really does improve the feeling of driving the car considering this is an item you touch 100% of the time you use the vehicle.

My question to this group is if anyone has purchased one of these customer wheels from the likes of Carbontastic or Carbon City Customs or another place like that. I love the idea of being able to custom design something but I am concerned about a step down in quality. I assume there are higher and lower quality aftermarket items but it is very challenging to figure out which is which as the pricing seems to be pretty similar. I did a search on the forum and really didn't see anyone showing off their new wheel either so I couldn't find any examples that were not advertisements.

Does anyone have any experience doing this swap on their car?
Hello, Owner for RuCarbon here. I dont want to push a sale on you or anything of the sort. I run the custom wheels in all my cars/trucks. Personal Opinion, the leather we use i feel is superior of oem, the feel is overall better and doesnt wear like the oem. (Alcantara wheels will always wear faster than leather there really isnt a way around it, there are cleaning products you can use to keep up with it, but regardless overtime its going to wear down)
the other member mentioned creaking, chances are thats due to the carbon trim he is running, the oem trim is a super tight fit as is, when the carbon and epoxy is added it adds a slight gap and thats whats causeing the creak. can be minimized with a silcone if its really that annoying.
in terms of companies to use there are a bunch out here and all vary greatly in price, for the wheels iv seen and would recommend apart from my company: Carismo (friends shop, they should have some wheels in stock), carbontastic has been around for a long time and they make quality wheels

the memebers on mbworld used to show off their wheels and other mods but most have migrated to Facebook
Old 12-20-2023, 02:28 PM

Nothing Yet
This is fantastic feedback thank you for sharing.
lthlc63 (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 03:52 PM
SPONSOR

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
We offer them as well as offer install if you are local. Feel free to email us and we can talk about options.
ilax028 (12-22-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 06:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
GLE63s C63s S560
I have one from ASKCARBON. Love it so far

http://instagram.com/askcarbon

ilax028 (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 07:56 AM

Nothing Yet
Originally Posted by lthlc63
Hello, Owner for RuCarbon here. I dont want to push a sale on you or anything of the sort. I run the custom wheels in all my cars/trucks. Personal Opinion, the leather we use i feel is superior of oem, the feel is overall better and doesnt wear like the oem. (Alcantara wheels will always wear faster than leather there really isnt a way around it, there are cleaning products you can use to keep up with it, but regardless overtime its going to wear down)
the other member mentioned creaking, chances are thats due to the carbon trim he is running, the oem trim is a super tight fit as is, when the carbon and epoxy is added it adds a slight gap and thats whats causeing the creak. can be minimized with a silcone if its really that annoying.
in terms of companies to use there are a bunch out here and all vary greatly in price, for the wheels iv seen and would recommend apart from my company: Carismo (friends shop, they should have some wheels in stock), carbontastic has been around for a long time and they make quality wheels

the memebers on mbworld used to show off their wheels and other mods but most have migrated to Facebook
Thank you for some insight these products. I know you mentioned your feelings regarding the leather but what about Alcantara? I know it wears and it definitely requires some regular maintenance but how does the aftermarket quality compare to OEM? I guess the other way to ask that question is, what do you have on your personal car?