Sponsored by:

Winter tire speed rating?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 12:18 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
Winter tire speed rating?

I'm about to order new winter tires from Tire Rack. My current winter tires are Pirelli Sottozero 3 which are hard to come by for both front and rear.
Tire Rank has the new winter Michelin Pilot Apine 5. The fronts are MO with speed rating 96V and the rears are STAR BMW with the same speed rating V.
My old Pirelli Sottozero 3 fronts have a 96H speed rating while rears are 99V speed rating.
Would there be an issue with getting the new winter front tires with the V speed rating as the old fronts were H speed rating?
. Photo of one of the current front winter tire: Not good

Old Today, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,981 Likes on 2,655 Posts
2019 C63CS
No, there won't. V is higher than H. V is up to 149 mph and H is up to 130 mph. Either one is way higher than you legally get to drive in the USA. Just don't exceed the rated speed and you'll be fine. You need Y rated tires to drive the top speed. Y is up to 186 mph, and (Y) is >186 mph. Yes, the parenthesis matter.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...s-speed-rating

Last edited by superswiss; Today at 12:50 PM.
Old Today, 01:04 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
No, there won't. V is higher than H. V is up to 149 mph and H is up to 130 mph. Either one is way higher than you legally get to drive in the USA. Just don't exceed the rated speed and you'll be fine. You need Y rated tires to drive the top speed. Y is up to 186 mph, and (Y) is >186 mph. Yes, the parenthesis matter.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...s-speed-rating
. Thanks. I will order today, delivered to my home and in december have the new snow tires installed. Did not realized how worn that front winter tire was. Will also have the Alignment checked/ done. My current summer tires appear to have normal wear.
This is probably the most annoying thing with this car is getting these tires swapped out 2x a year otherwise it been fun to own.