Where to test drive near mid-town Toronto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2016 | 07:52 PM

2016 C450 AMG, 2012 C350 4Matic Sport
Where to test drive near mid-town Toronto?

Hey guys, I have a C450 test drive scheduled for this weekend. Apparently the only C450 tester available in Southern Ontario is at Mercedes Benz Mid-Town, which is on Eglinton between Bayview and Leslie. Since I'm from Mississauga I don't really know the area. Anyone know a good, low-traffic location (like a quiet industrial area) to test it out without risk of cops being around? I've checked Google sat view but obviously you can't tell busy any particular area might be.

Not that I plan to go nuts, but I, shall we say, I didn't plan on sticking to the speed limit.
Old 02-03-2016 | 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
MB Midtown is about two minutes away from my house and on the very edge of such an industrial area... just Google the location and head EAST across Vanderhoof (back entrance of dealership lot - that's the MB's Canadian HO entrance) or Wickstead (one block south). There are residential buildings and townhomes of Vanderhoof for about a kilometer, but once you get to the 90 degree bend going eastbound, it's 100% industrial and relatively quiet during weekends. There are some railroad track crossings and uneven pavement so you can also test how well the suspension soaks up the bumps.

Just for the record - I AM ABSOLUTELY NOT SUGGESTING NOR ENDORSING THAT YOU EXCEED THE POSTED SPEED LIMITS. You can test drive it over some bumps and a few curves in the road, but this is not a "thumbs up" for you to break any traffic laws. You get my meaning.
Old 02-04-2016 | 08:47 PM

Thanks for the info. And you sound like my Dad LOL.
Old 02-06-2016 | 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Actually - I sound like someone that got dinged with a stunt driving charge for doing 84 over the limit while bedding in my track brake pads on an empty highway, and also as someone that knows of an idiot that was boasting on one of the BMW boards how he was doing 120 km/h on a 60 km/h residential street (he is an idiot for doing twice the speed limit in a residential neighbourhood, not just for admitting to it; I am not being a hypocrite because while I am guilty of exceeding the speed limit by a large margin, at least I carefully chose a deserted, perfectly straight stretch of an eight lane divided highway where I had perefect visibility and was the only car on the road for some 2-3 km ahead without ever endangering anyone, in a familiar vehicle quite capable of safely sustaining those speeds and have plenty of HPDE training and experience to operate said vehicle at such speeds, blah blah blah...) - with the end result being the police convicting him of a serious offence and him losing his licence only based on his on-line post. No officer was present to observe him breakign the law - it was his statement that got him convicted.

Say, for example, that you're driving 95 km/h in a 60 km/h zone. An officer stops you and says "Do you know how fast you were going, Sir?" You answer "Oh - no more than 65-70 at the most, officer." Even if he was directing traffic in a neaby parking lot with his back to you and doesn't even know what a laser / radar gun looks like, you just admitted to doing 70 in a 60 and he can give you a ticket for 10 over (and will certainly win in court should you challenge it) because you incriminated yourself and there is no burden of proof on the prosecution. Now - you are publicly stating that you don't plan on sticking to the speed limit. Should the local constabulary ever come across your post, for your own sake I trust that you will have reconsidered your original plan, and in the end decided that you would indeed stick to the speed limit after all. Right?

You're welcome. I hope you like the C450 - it's a great car.
Old 02-14-2016 | 11:41 PM

Thanks for the elaboration - did get your meaning and do appreciate the advice.

Unfortunately MB got their signals crossed, and the test drive appointment had to be re-scheduled, so I still haven't experienced the 450. Really looking forward to it. It should be fun, even while obeying all traffic laws.
Old 03-29-2016 | 03:56 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Say, for example, that you're driving 95 km/h in a 60 km/h zone. An officer stops you and says "Do you know how fast you were going, Sir?"
Just for laughs, what would be the best answer to this question?
Old 03-30-2016 | 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron M
Just for laughs, what would be the best answer to this question?

Substitute OPP or Toronto Police officer instead of Florida State Trooper in the story below...

Taking off down the road, he pushed it to 80 mph, enjoying the wind blowing through what little hair he had left. "Amazing," he thought as he flew down I-75, pushing the pedal even more.

Looking in his rear view mirror, he saw a Florida State Trooper, blue lights flashing and siren blaring. He floored it to 100 mph, then 110, then 120. Suddenly he thought, "What am I doing? I'm too old for this!" and pulled over to await the trooper's arrival.

Pulling in behind him, the trooper got out of his vehicle and walked up to the Corvette. He looked at his watch, then said, "Sir, my shift ends in 30 minutes. Today is Friday. If you can give me a new reason for speeding--a reason I've never before heard--I'll let you go."

The old gentleman paused then said: "Three years ago, my wife ran off with a Florida State Trooper. I thought you were bringing her back."

"Have a good day, Sir," replied the trooper.