Accident! Advice needed on Collision shops

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E350 estate, Audi S4, BMW F800R
Accident! Advice needed on Collision shops

So, we got lightly T-boned this morning in the E350 wagon
No one was hurt thankfully, despite two babies in the back seat at the time. I got this car specifically to mitigate situations like this, and I felt extremely safe and solid in this car. The Germans make good autos.
(In case anyone is curious, we were exiting the highway, and making a left turn onto a main street. We were hit on our left rear wheel by a guy who ran his red light. We had a full green light. He was probably going 40-60 kph at the time, but I didn't hear him squeal his tires, so I don't know if he was decelerating at the time of impact. My wife was driving and I was in the back seat with the babies feeding them.)

Does anyone have any idea what is involved here?
The insurance adjustors and collision shop are not open until Monday (today is Saturday)
Is this a write off? Can it be fixed properly? What is involved?

Does anyone have suggestions on good shops in the Toronto area that would do the work well, if they choose to repair this
Thank you everyone
Old 03-25-2018, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
damn glad everyones okay!

I personally went to Mercedes benz oakville collision, I was rear ended. they did a good job fixing it but I got picky and wanted it to be perfect they said no problem and fixed it no questions asked.
they were easy to contact they did have a point where there paint booth was down for 6 months thats why it took forever to get in. now its up and running and they matched my palladium silver paint perfectly.

who knows how much damage there really is... I mean it looks like $7000+ but what if the frame is bent it could be much much more.

my bumper was cracked and i needed a rebar it was about $3000 ( i can't remember exactly theres a thread on it though)

call your insurance an adjuster will come by, pick an Mercedes Benz approved shop no matter what the insurance company tells you, go to the shop you want to go to!

Also look in your insurance policy if your car is with in 5 years old and you pay for OEM parts only on your policy it will determine what parts they use. (i found this out the hard way lol)
Old 03-25-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by MB Marko
damn glad everyones okay!

I personally went to Mercedes benz oakville collision...
...Also look in your insurance policy if your car is with in 5 years old and you pay for OEM parts only on your policy it will determine what parts they use. (i found this out the hard way lol)
Thanks Marko
That is great advice... I'm leaning towards Don Valley or Pfaff at the moment, as those are more convenient and I know them thru my Audi days. I will def consider Oakville though

I am trying to wrack my brain to figure out what they'll say tomorrow and if my car is written off. I figure door, rear quarter panel, bumper. Wheel and tire. Rear axle and 4-matic differential. Rear air suspension, control arms, etc. Frame straightening perhaps.

I've also heard of warnings to beware of shops using old parts sourced from other vehicles, instead of new or OEM parts...

It scares me to think they try to repair it, and it never drives the same, or there is some transmission wobble or vibration somewhere down the line... I am very picky too!
Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
First and foremost, I'm glad you and your family are OK.

As for the damage to your car, it does not look like the hit was hard enough to cause frame damage (which means the vehicle will drive straight after it is fixed), but by the time all is said and done you are probably looking at something in the $5-10K range for a proper repair. Ontario insurance stipulates that you get to choose where you have your car fixed. Do NOT accept the preferred shop that may suggested by your insurance company or any of the ones at the collision reporting centres. Going through the dealership that you deal with for service as whatever body shop they use will have to be approved by them and thus up to MB standards is usually a safe bet, but there are a number of good body shops that will do a proper repair. Whereabouts in Toronto are you located? The car doesn't look driveable - is it at one of the TPS collision centres?
Old 03-26-2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolis
First and foremost, I'm glad you and your family are OK.

As for the damage to your car, it does not look like the hit was hard enough to cause frame damage (which means the vehicle will drive straight after it is fixed), but by the time all is said and done you are probably looking at something in the $5-10K range for a proper repair. Ontario insurance stipulates that you get to choose where you have your car fixed. Do NOT accept the preferred shop that may suggested by your insurance company or any of the ones at the collision reporting centres. Going through the dealership that you deal with for service as whatever body shop they use will have to be approved by them and thus up to MB standards is usually a safe bet, but there are a number of good body shops that will do a proper repair. Whereabouts in Toronto are you located? The car doesn't look driveable - is it at one of the TPS collision centres?
Thanks a lot Diabolis, safety is always the most important thing. That's one of the reasons I switched to this car, I thought it was safe
The corner of the guys car seems to have perfectly dinged in the top portion of the rear wheel - and that forged wheel probably took the brunt of the impact.

So i hope it can be fixed properly... I was worried they'd write off my car and give me a measly settlement and I'm stuck trying to replace it with anything remotely comparable. Wagons are kind of rare, and you'd know, since you've got the E63 (call me if you ever consider selling it in a few years!)

I'm around Yonge and 401, but as it happens, I called around to the authorized MB collision centres, and I am considering Weston MB or Kennedy MB, which is near Hwy 7 and McCowan (Markville Mall). I like that they have MB approved frame straightener machines, it sounds like they've invested heavily into MB-specific equipment

Anyone have any experience with these two?
Old 03-26-2018, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Once the frame is bent (and I use the term frame loosely here.... the vast majority of cars have been unibody for some time) IMHO the vehicle can never be pulled back to track perfectly straight again. Fortunately, it doesn't look like the impact was anywhere near strong enough to warp the frame, so you're more than likely OK. If the frame is bent however, I would have serious reservations about driving the car afterwards regardless of how good their "frame straightening" machines are.

I haven't dealt with either of those two shops personally, but have heard of MB Weston through reading several posts here that were all positive.