Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Issue and Glow Plug Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 Diesel
Angry Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Issue and Glow Plug Change

Hello MB World Canada:
I am suffering from diesel engine pain for my 2010 ML 350.
Recently, the dealer quoted an arm and a leg cost for some repairs. In fact, the total cost of repair quoted more than double (may be quadruple) the current price of the vehicle.
The major issue includes Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) that caused check engine light on quoted for over $4.5K. I requested to consider the price as it is related to emission as an environmentally conscious company. I mentioned many news items regarding diesel engine related news items. They simply declined my request as if they disown it.
Question: The vehicle is driving fine and Ontario has cancelled emission test requirement. Can I continue driving? What are the possible consequences?
Today I asked for glow plug replacement cost. The dealer quoted 6 hours of labor $1002, plugs are $75 each, $450 for parts = $1.5K plus. As an old vehicle, it may take more time. I feel like this is unrealistic price quote. Any suggestion?
What a pain of owning diesel engine!
Thanks for your time and suggestions in advance, if you can give me some.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Yes. It has reached the end of its useful life. Unless you can service it yourself, scrap it and get a new car. It's a 10 year old luxury vehicle, so everything is going to start falling apart and will cost an arm and a leg to fix. It's not the service quote that is unrealistic - it is your expectation that the vehicle is still financially viable for you to keep it on the road.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 Diesel
Ha ha. Is it a sarcasm or are you a dealer? You got it. My expectation was to drive at least 10 years but it broke down by 7th year just after all extended warranties are over. I feel sorry for my expectation of driving a luxury vehicle over 10 years. I also feel sorry for my expectation from MB dealer. This diesel engine seems a crappy truck for a various reason and the dealer appeared to be terribly hostile to older models of vehicle. It could be their bad business strategy in the long run. Thanks for your response and realistic suggestion. I like your idea - DIY or scrap.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Unfortunately I am neither being sarcastic nor am a dealer. I just happen to have a little more exposure to the auto industry than the average Joe, and that is the reality of the situation. Cars are no longer made to last 30 years. They are made to last 8 or 9 and then fall apart on purpose. If a car lasts 30 years instead of 10, over any given time period the manufacturer sells only a third as many cars. The original buyers will still get a new higher-end car every 3 years, but the old cars will change hands through the used car market and continue to operate for the remaining 27 years instead of only 7 - without profit for the manufacturer. If you build them to only last for 10 years, the folks that were previously using the car during the last 20 years of its 30 year life are now forced to buy a new one instead It will be a cheaper model, but they still need to buy a new one as the number of 3 year old used higher-end cars on the market remains unchanged - and the manufacturer does make a profit. It's Economics 101.