But in CA for US usage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 647 Likes on 402 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
But in CA for US usage?

Probably a stupid question - but is it possible for a US citizen to come to Toronto and buy a new MB and bring it back to the US relatively easily?

I ask, because MB Canada offers the 300c in a wagon, whereas the MBUSA does not offer that car in the states (apparently we’re all into SUV’s - and I do have one, X167).

it wouldn’t be a diesel, but a gasoline engine.

just curious if it’s a viable option, or overly complicated and insanely expensive to do the transfer to the US.

thanks!!
Old 05-09-2022, 07:36 AM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2019 C43 Wagon
Hi there, you may get more traction in the non Canada sections (It's not often Canadian's are importing a vehicle to the US, usually we see something interesting on BAT and investigate the opposite direction, which is completely different (yet equally arbitrary and complicated)
There are 3 things standing in your way:
1) Dealer selling to a non-resident, one of the standard forms at time of purchase or lease is a non-export clause, which I would suspect a non local ID would cause an issue.
Going used would avoid this one,
Then you have two US bureau's:
2) Customs and Border Protection
They are going to want 2.5% Duty and do the front line work of the EPA and DOT
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car
3) EPA
This is the most complicated, check this link, it will range from simple (if the vehicle is identical to a US version (which could be if it's c-class in total, maybe not if it's body type and they never planned to sell it there) to impossible if it's not complaint and not yet hitting the >25 year exemption.
I just checked my C43 tag and looks like it declares it's compliant with EPA and California regs, bu
https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicl...adian-vehicles

Good luck