CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

New Fog light bulbs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Fog light bulbs?

Hi everyone, can anyone please tell me how to change out my 9006 foglight bulbs on a 00-05 CL ? Sport pkg...? I see the mesh grill surrounding it..and I imagine I may have 2 yank it off...but you know how that goes..I'm afraid to break anyhting...or I figure I may have to get to it from a underbody plastic cover...but I dunno'...?? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:23 AM

NSX
I don't think you are supposed to "yank" anything... you should post this on the tech forum that is moderated by an MB tech. Sorry I am not of more help. Just haven't done it.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Eroc2009,

I just finished replacing those very clips that hold the mesh grille around the foglamps on my 2001 CL.

It's alarmingly simple. The clips look like this:
[IMG]C:\Clip.jpg[/IMG]
(I hope this image comes up in the, 'cause it's not showing in the preview.)

Anyways, there are 4 clips that hold the grille around each. They look like the letter "C" with a barb that prevents the grille from being yanked out - so don't do that. I really don't think that pic is gonna post, I'll describe it like this... Make the shape of the letter C with your left hand, and then put your index finger of your right hand so it touches your thumb and extends into the cup of the C a little bit. (The opening of the C faces the front of the car. But now that I think of it, I wonder if reversing them would make it more difficult to steal the grilles - which is what happened to mine.)

All you need to do is gently slide a thin, flat-head screwdriver to press down that little barb and then slide out that corner of the grille. Repeat 3 times and you're done.

Good luck!
-V

EDIT: OK, the image didn't post... anyone help a newb out?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:38 PM

Hi, Thanks ALOT for the tips.. After work I'll give that a shot! I intend to swap the stock ones out for the Yellow colored ones... (they're being shipped to me) I'll post pics when all is done. Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2005, 06:56 AM

All of them, as much as I can...
You don't need to touch the grille...

The access panel for the fogs are under the assembly. They look like little doors and have 2 camlocks meant to be unlocked by turning with a coin. Once open, you can twist the bulb holder off the hole and then remove the bulb. Don't touch the bulb glass with bare hands. If you do, wipe clean with paper towel and rubbing alcohol.

I just switched my bulbs to pure yellow bulbs from Polarq. I drive in a foggy area and I think yellow or amber will provide better visibility in fog or rain.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:41 PM

Thanks aswell, I'm still awaiting the bulbs..b4 I give it a try, Thanks!