CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Renntech Chip for '03 CL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CL600
Renntech Chip for '03 CL600

Been thinking about installing the Renntech chips (engine & transmission) in my '03 CL600.

Did a search and got some information.

Some questions:
Anyone install the chips? Happy with the outcome? Install yourself or dealer do the work? If you installed yourself, how difficult? Did you pay retail from Renntech? Any effect on gas mileage? Anyone dyno the car before and after the installation? Any change in "normal" driving of the car?

I recently purchased (August '05) my CL600 with 17,000 miles ($69,500), Cpo'd for an additional year/100m miles and I love the car. The only additional options I wish the car had are the automatic trunk closer (can this be dealer installed?) and the CL65 AMG.

I figure the Renntech chips will approximate the CL65's horsepower/torque at a cost of $6,800. Is it worth 10% of the purchase price? A question I'm asking myself!

Thanks for any info or comments.

Bill

'03 CL600
'04 E500 4matic Wagon
'00 BMW M5
'01 Audi A6 4.2
'95 Corvette ZR1 (780 miles)
'69 Corvette Original Owner (72,000 miles)
Old 11-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Almost a Member!

CL600 2003
jdomroe - Have you searched the forum? Get the chip!!! Here are some links that should help you make the decision.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215/98829-got-my-car-back-renntech.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/113401-renntech-upgrade.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/60870-sl55-sl600-differences.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/sh...31&page=6&pp=10
Old 11-14-2005, 12:43 PM

AMG GTS
Wink

I have had the RennTech mod now for awhile and still stand by the description of Night and Day..It's great and you won't be dissapointed.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:25 AM

'03 CL600
I've read all the past posts on the Renntech ecu and transmission upgrades.
I see that Kleeman offers a similar package for the CL600.

Anyone install the Kleeman upgrades? Happy?

Curious: It seems that M/B would not leave an easy 132hp on the table. Why is it that they (M/B) don't upgrade the ecu themselves?

Why so easy to extract HP from a turbo charged engine?

Haven't read any downsides to the upgrade. It's just which tuner I will use.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 11-28-2005, 09:24 AM

NSX
Originally Posted by jdomroe
I've read all the past posts on the Renntech ecu and transmission upgrades.
I see that Kleeman offers a similar package for the CL600.

Anyone install the Kleeman upgrades? Happy?

Curious: It seems that M/B would not leave an easy 132hp on the table. Why is it that they (M/B) don't upgrade the ecu themselves?

Why so easy to extract HP from a turbo charged engine?

Haven't read any downsides to the upgrade. It's just which tuner I will use.

Thanks.

Bill
Turbocharged cars are easy to extract more power out of because all you have to do is turn up the boost. As long as the turbocharger has not lost its efficiency (maxed out and producing less power because of heat), you will get more power.

MB "leaves that on the table" mainly because of safety and warranty issues. Your tubochargers definitely will NOT last as long with the ECU upgrade. There is more pressure on every part of the engine and trans and much more heat is produced. Those turbos are being squeezed, to get proper power they would need to be larger. If they were bigger there would be more power but also more lag, and MB saw fit that these two are the best size for what they were trying to do. There are two, not to get MORE power, but to reduce lag. Twin turbo cars typicaly use very small turbochargers.

I will tell you this... between Kleemann and Renntech, Kleemann has a tendency to inflate HP figures, whereas Renntech downplays the numbers and usually puts out MORE than what they say. Both are good companies however, and I don't think there is a lot of difference between the two ECU's as there is just so much you can do. My personal preference would be Renntech.

You may want to change the oil more than the recommended intervals, and always let the car idle for a few minutes after a hard run before shutting it down. That will allow oil to circulate around the bearings and will avoid coaking which is when the oil cooks around the bearing and leaves a hard deposit. Also a free flow exhaust and intake system (airbox and then filters)will make more of a difference once the wick has been turned up on a turbocharged car.