CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

How reliable is the Porsche 911 turbo & regular 911 compared to a CL & SL Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How reliable is the Porsche 911 turbo & regular 911 compared to a CL & SL Mercedes?

Im debating on these. But I do want something more reliable and that will have less issues.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
The 911 Turbo (my favourite car EVER) is probably one of the most reliable "supercars" on the planet. For every new generation of the Turbo, Porsche sends a new Turbo off for summer testing in Death Valley during the summer's hottest temperatures, drain the oil pan, and run the car at VMax..........and basically try to break it, so they can test the car for reliability under both extreme temperatures and stress of the engine without any oil in it. At the same time, they send another Turbo off to the Arctic Circle, under extreme freezing conditions, and does the same test.

And every 911 is tested by factory test drivers on the Nurburgring to make sure its assembly has met up with their quality control standards; after the test run, the engine is taken apart, reassembled with new parts, and is prepped for delivery.

One of my favourite car magazine, CAR, sums it up pretty nicely in one of their articles testing the new Ferrari F430....."this Ferrari isn't just beautiful, it's also beautifully put together. Not Porsche impregnable, perhaps, but close."

Though I've never owned one....(not yet, anyways ^_^), I can attest that a 911 Turbo is probably going to be as reliable as the base Carrera, but probably going to be even more so than any MB or BMW.

Just my two cents.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
MB S550 now; S63, CL600, S430 previously
I have both a CL600 and a 911; however, neither has turbos. The CL has had a parktronic replaced twice, an electrical glitch with a turn signal, and the coil packs were replaced. It has had far fewer problems than I had with an '01 S430 that I used to own.

The 911 has been problem free. However, be aware that non-turbo 911s are suspectible to oil leaks.

Both are great cars and I get a thrill from both of them although for different reasons.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 PM

2003 CL500
not many supercars out there, 911 turbo not

one of them. high-end sportscar, close to exotic. supercars are more like: ferrari f-60, jag xj220, mb clk-gtr, and such.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350; 993c2s; Bentley CGT
A bit winded but....

Currently own a CL 500 and on my second 911. Bought a 993 model 2 years ago and I must say, I have never had anything go wrong. Just change the oil and do regular maintenance. No check engine lights or MIL codes to worry about. Was the same with my previous 911 as well. Continous severe acceleration or hard tracking does cause oil leaks. Changing to adjustable oil tubes and a billet valve cover seems to lessen the possibility of leaks. Some people have suffered drained batteries after leaving their cars for weeks in the garage. I try to drive my car any chance I get when the weather is nice with no salt on the roads (i.e. during winter). Even if you drive for 30 minutes. Notice I have not said a whole lot about the CL because although I have not had any leaks, the sensitivity of the sensors on this car drives me nuts. Poor gas = Check engine light; loose gas cap = check engine light; If raining severely and you go thru a puddle, might cause sudden cooling of the O2 sensors and trigger a MIL. Now, I have not had any major work done on the car but being my 2nd MB, I suggest you invest in a code reader that can turn of the MIL. Will save you the worry of silly CELs but do have the car serviced at the MB dealer for technical peace of mind. My .02 cents.