Just Saying Hello, First Post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CL600, 1990 300zxTT, Land Rover Disco
Just Saying Hello, First Post

Hey Everyone,
this is my first post on here, my buddy FrozenGuy is a member on here with a CL 55 AMG..and it has driven me to purchase a MB also, i have fallen in love w/ them! i'm looking to purchase an 02' CL600 with only 15k miles on it for 60k at a high end private dealership, its the owners car he drives to work.. is there anything specific things i should be looking at? my only concern was from reading past posts on here is owning one with no warranty...its warrenty goes away end of january..but like i said it only has 15k miles on it..can i get another long term warranty on it? thanks guys
Old 12-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Get a supercharger.
Only losers need warranties.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Get a supercharger.
Only losers need warranties.
bah - i've somehow managed to blow up 4 engines in my highly modded twin turbo 300zx, so yes a warranty on a car like that would be nice
Old 12-18-2005, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by ToddicusMaximus
Hey Everyone,
this is my first post on here, my buddy FrozenGuy is a member on here with a CL 55 AMG..and it has driven me to purchase a MB also, i have fallen in love w/ them! i'm looking to purchase an 02' CL600 with only 15k miles on it for 60k at a high end private dealership, its the owners car he drives to work.. is there anything specific things i should be looking at? my only concern was from reading past posts on here is owning one with no warranty...its warrenty goes away end of january..but like i said it only has 15k miles on it..can i get another long term warranty on it? thanks guys
I believe that when you purchase the car from a dealer you will be provided 1 free year of MB's Starmark warranty with the option to purchase up to an additional 3 years or 100k miles (which ever comes first). I would not buy this car w/o the insurance.
As for other info, other than looking at the condition of the car, I would ask to see the maintenance/warranty work records along with a Carfax on the vehicle. The dealer should provide both.
As a side note, I find it unusual that a dealer would keep such a car to drive for 4 years (if I'm understanding your comment). I obviously could be wrong, but in doing so, he would be taking quite a hit on depreciation if he has driven it for four years. Obviously, this is an extremely expensive car new. Usually, dealers just drive new vehiles for very short periods of time and then sell them at a respectable profit. In any event, the Carfax should provide you with previous owner(s) info and other important data including accident check, mileage accuracy, lemon check and more. Good luck.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 12-18-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
I believe that when you purchase the car from a dealer you will be provided 1 free year of MB's Starmark warranty with the option to purchase up to an additional 3 years or 100k miles (which ever comes first). I would not buy this car w/o the insurance.
As for other info, other than looking at the condition of the car, I would ask to see the maintenance/warranty work records along with a Carfax on the vehicle. The dealer should provide both.
As a side note, I find it unusual that a dealer would keep such a car to drive for 4 years (if I'm understanding your comment). I obviously could be wrong, but in doing so, he would be taking quite a hit on depreciation if he has driven it for four years. Obviously, this is an extremely expensive car new. Usually, dealers just drive them for very short periods of time and then still be able to sell them at a respectable profit. In any event, the Carfax should provide you with previous owner(s) info and other important data including accident check, mileage accuracy, lemon check and more. Good luck.

awesome. thanks for your input. sorry i wasnt super clear, the owner is not the original owner, he buys returned leases (most of the cars at the dealership were maseratti's and ferarri's) and then sells them at his place..and this one he just kept for himself to drive. as far as the carfax goes i will for sure request one. am i able to purchase an extended warranty from a dealership if not purchased there? i'd assume i couldnt right... but 60k for this car is a fairly good deal, thats why i was looking to purchase this one instead of any other one at a typical MB dealership.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

awesome. thanks for your input. sorry i wasnt super clear, the owner is not the original owner, he buys returned leases (most of the cars at the dealership were maseratti's and ferarri's) and then sells them at his place..and this one he just kept for himself to drive. as far as the carfax goes i will for sure request one. am i able to purchase an extended warranty from a dealership if not purchased there? i'd assume i couldnt right... but 60k for this car is a fairly good deal, thats why i was looking to purchase this one instead of any other one at a typical MB dealership.
You won't be able to get MB's Starmark thru a dealer unless you purchase the car there. However, I think they sell other independent company warranties as my dealer has sent me several brocures (even though I have the Starmark on my CL). They supposedly do a very thorough check on newer MB's and then give them the Starmark seal. If you purchase a car privately which has the Starmark warranty, however, it is fully transferrable. This is something that some MB salespeople don't even know but it is in the contract.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 12-19-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Hey Everyone,

I'd look for an '03. You get twin-turbo and much improved DVD-Nav. Get a warranty. Get a warranty. Get a warranty.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:11 AM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
Do Not Buy.....For Real.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by proform
Do Not Buy.....For Real.
soley off the warranty issue?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by proform
Do Not Buy.....For Real.
Can you expound on this a little???
Old 12-21-2005, 01:26 AM

NSX
What is the car's color? what does it have for options? AMG package? trunk closer? parktronic or distronic? keyless go? TPS?

Starmark, now called CPO (starmark is no longer used), is available through an MB dealer only. I have a 2002 CL I bought with 16K, I was lucky I got it through an MB dealer, that gave me a an extra year warranty and I paid 4K for an extra warranty to 2010.

As far as buying an 03, it is an option you should think about because you do get an updated model... it will cost more for sure. Another 15K minumum for a car with the same milage... but... now you are getting an extra year's warranty so take that off the price.

I can tell you this... I am very happy with my 02. With a couple of mods this engine will put out over 400 HP. The '02 engine is underarted at 362. I don't know what the marketing reasons were... but my car is faster than a friend's 02 CL55 which is 200 pounds lighter and rated at close to the same power level. Same thing in 03+, the CL600 and CL55 are rated at the same horsepower output of 493, but those ratings are not real. The 600 motor is significantly more powerful. Anyway, I find 400 HP to be plenty for me. This car is not exactly slow...

60K is a great deal for such a car. I don't know what else you can get for 60K that is as nice of a car. And with that milage it is essentialy new.

Even buying it from an non-MB dealer, you can get an aftermarket warranty. Some seem to be good and they do transfer. You can buy it anytime before the factory warranty has ended, and it will be 1/2 the price of buying it after it has ended. Do a net search and you will find some companies that are really good.

Last edited by AMG2GO; 12-21-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
When I bought my car from a dealer (non-Mercedes)...I got the Starmark for 2 years until MB found out, and that was by pure accident. I do not think they really check that stuff.