CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Can someone tell me the most optimal mileage to change fluids in my CL 600?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes!
Question Can someone tell me the most optimal mileage to change fluids in my CL 600?

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know if anyone may be able to give me a good idea as to when I should change my fluids. So far, I am following the regular Service A & B schedules which pop up on my dash to indicate going to the shop. What I wanted to know is what would be the most ideal mileage (i.e. 3,000, 5,000, or etc.) to change my oil, brake fluid, trans fluid, and so on. I want to make sure the car is performing at a high level but I am unfamiliar with this W215 V12 maintenance because it is my first Merc. I would really appreciate it if someone could thoroughly explain the answer to my question. Thanks and have a nice day.

P.S. Also, which brand of fluid(s) would be the best to use?

Last edited by CoupeLeicht600; 01-02-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
There is a vast amount of information available on this subect and I think everyone has his/her own ideas of ideal maintenance intervals. However, I would say, be careful of what MB recommends.
I have an '02 CL500 and MB shows engine oil and filter changes under ideal conditions at 15,000 miles. I think this is ludicrous. Coincidently, I was discussing this very subject with a MB tech who just happened to be involved with an engine overhaul of a CL500. His opinion was that the overhaul was the result of such extended oil change periods. He said, point blank, don't go that long.
I personally do and have done the fluid changes on the vehicles I've owned for about 45 years now, and I can say, knock on wood, that I have never lost an engine, tranny, or rear axle. And, actually, I haven't had that many cars during this period so they all have had their share of mileage with one reaching the 250k mile threshold.
In any event, I currentlly change my engine oil (synthetic, these days) and filter every 5,000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first. IMO, this is the most important fluid to keep clean (from a repair expense standpoint). I change the tranny fluid/filter at 25,000 miles intervals, and most other fluids (brake, coolant, and power steering) every 2 years. Rear axle fluid can go much longer (100K), unless you have limited slip. I think there is one thing that is hard to argue with. And that is, the cleaner you keep your fluids, the longer their respective parts will last.
I hope this helps.

P.S. Use synthetic fluids when possible. I like Mobil products.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 01-04-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 SL500, 2000 ML430, 1997 CL600, 2006 ML500,2005 SL600, 2002 GMC SLT, 2005 GMC SLT
The best oil does not compare with what an engine will cost for that 600. Mercedes made a big mistake with the recommended interval. we have a 2000 ML430 and they wanted us to go 12000 or so with just regular oils. we always change at about 3- 4k and use mobile 1 there were a lot of problems with piston ring sticking after the warantee ran out when going with the long interval. You should also change the brake fluid about every two or three years depending on how much you drive Jud hit it right on the head, I would also change the differantial when you have it on the rack to change the tranny, its already up and the diff only holds a few pints. I just started putting Amsoil in our CL600 and SL500, both are stored away for the winter now. Amsoil has a 5-40 weight oil that they claim is for euro design engines. Local MB dealers around here indicated that oil filter is a big deal on the 600. I use a local sevice station and it took about five minutes extra to figure out what to remove to get at the filter. just part of the air filter and duct on the driver side of the engine and there is the filter looking at you. very easy. MB here said 1 1/2 hours of labor!!!! i