CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

MBUSA finally settled the lawsuit...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2006 | 01:46 PM

'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
MBUSA finally settled the lawsuit...

So, as many of you CL owners out there know, the W215 has been a very problematic car. The CL600 Bi-turbo V12 is a great performance engine, but it has plagued my mother with so many problems that my father took the initiative to file a lawsuit with MBUSA.

Numerous trips to the shop (nearest CL certified shop is 100 miles), without the problems being fixed completely (Air shocks going bad, Check Engine light, unusual wind noise, etc.)...all of this in a newly bought 2004 CL600. Intermittent engine failures (unable to find the root of the problem) also troubled my mother. A 5000 lbs. car just quitting with a small woman behind the wheel is asking for an accident.

Two months later, I got a phone call from Plaza Motors in STL, MO, saying that they were looking for Dr. Glenn. So I called my bro and told him to tell my father about this. The next day, I called my mother and she said that they settled and are willing to get them a new car, and if the car is of lesser value, they will re-imburse her (gotta love the Lemon Law). What is going to happen is that she will purchase a 2006 E500 4Matic and when the 2007 S550 4Matic is released, she will trade in either my E430 4Matic or the one that she has.

I love the CL600, but it just has too many problems. I just thought that I would share the experience with you all. Sometimes there can be a sound solution to the problem.
Old 02-10-2006 | 11:31 PM

NSX
Do you really think the new S is going to be better? it has even more electronics.
Old 02-11-2006 | 05:37 AM

Mercedes all the way!
well, MB is bringing up standards and i can see the change in quality control even from the W220 to the W211 (except for the brakes, but that's a contentious issue and is now gone anyway), so i'm pretty confident the W221 will be more reliable. i've seen so many W220 stalling in the middle of the road at traffic lights that i wonder how MB could dare to release the car (i'm talking about pre-facelift of course).

i guess it's not about the number of electronics, but how well they can control the standards at which these electronics are put together. i mean, a Boeing or Airbus has a lot, a lot, a lot more electronics, and you don't see them dropping out of the sky.
Old 02-23-2006 | 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Wow, you should've tried to go to a different dealer for warranty work next time. When my W211 E55 was declared lemon... I didn't have to deal w/ MBUSA. I couldn't say I did it effortlessly, though....

They first insisted on doing the warranty work...
I told my SA that I was tired already (3 months of ownership; 1.5 months unuseable)
They said if one more (any) problem, they would declare a lemon. But when one problem indeed surfaced, they refused
I started to put pressure (i.e. filing a lawsuit, etc.)
And then they wanted to take 3-month depreciation
I refused and kept putting pressure
Finally, after 1 week of every-day telephone call, they accepted it at new price.... good thing they dealt w/ all the paperwork. I just had to sign the title, drop off the car, filled out some small forms (couldn't remember what - I think like acknowledging that I'd like to declare the car lemon) and that's it. The fund was wired directly to my bank account.
Old 02-23-2006 | 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Does the lemon law just apply to new cars?

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 02-23-2006 at 04:12 PM.