CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

02 cl500 stuck in park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 s550
02 cl500 stuck in park

hi my o2 cl500 is stuck in park....it had become a lil difficult to take out of park the past few weeks and now its just stuck!
has this happend 2 n e one?

i removed the shift knob and cover plate i can here the brake safety switch engage....but as i try 2 put it in gear i hear some clicking near the ignition

n e help would be greatly appriciated

thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by YELLOWLUDE2NV
hi my o2 cl500 is stuck in park....it had become a lil difficult to take out of park the past few weeks and now its just stuck!
has this happend 2 n e one?

i removed the shift knob and cover plate i can here the brake safety switch engage....but as i try 2 put it in gear i hear some clicking near the ignition

n e help would be greatly appriciated

thanks in advance!

Has the shifter and console been in contact with any liquids? From my understanding, the shifter module (it's electronic) is located under the shift lever. Leaving the sunroof open (rain) or spilling any liquids accidentally will effectively "mess up" the module and prevent you from shifting.

I'd take it the dealer to check it out. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Rlo
Almost a Member!

happened on Sclass

can't remember the official part, but the shifter rod had to be replaced on mine also a 2002
Old 04-19-2006, 05:21 PM

07 s550
rlo...so was it something u did yourself or the dealer? ne more info would be greatly appricated
Old 04-19-2006, 05:23 PM

07 s550
Originally Posted by ~CL500~
Has the shifter and console been in contact with any liquids? From my understanding, the shifter module (it's electronic) is located under the shift lever. Leaving the sunroof open (rain) or spilling any liquids accidentally will effectively "mess up" the module and prevent you from shifting.

I'd take it the dealer to check it out. Good luck.

thanks! but no liquids have came in contact
Old 04-20-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by YELLOWLUDE2NV
thanks! but no liquids have came in contact
That a relief. It's usually a pretty expensive fix.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Rlo
Almost a Member!

Took it to the dealer

It happened at a mall, so call roadside assist and had it towed to closer dealer. All considered warranty work, luckily
Old 02-27-2007, 07:27 AM

S320 2002
you need to get a new shifter module. No need for towing,You can get it out of P by taking off the gear knob and banging the top of the lever downwards with a hammer, this is a proven method.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
Yeah, this happened to my dad's CL600. We didn't figure out the pulling downward extremely hard on the shifter trick yet, so the towing agency dragged it onto the flatbed and shook it off when it got back to the dealer. Car is pretty low so we sacrificed the bottom of the chrome tips to the pavement.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Stuck in Park

YES!!!,
This did just happen to me. I recently purchased a 2002 CL 500 sport. Black/black. Great Car so far!
My shifter gradually became difficult to move from Park to Drive. The actual shift gate(covers the lower unit of shifter) had torn, (which happens), but the problem was worse.
I came in for service and that was pretty much the end of the diffucult shift. My CL 500 was stuck in the service bay for 1 hour while they tried to get it out of park!!!
It was a $600-700 new shifter plus labor. It all totaled around 900 bucks!
That was a bummer because I was having warranty work done, and this was not covered. I was told it was a common problem in the CL. Now you back up that comment from my service guy at the dealer.
I would advise you take it to a authorized dealer asap. You Don't want to be stuck somewhere or have to have it towed for additional cost.
Now, I have to return to have the new shift gate cover put in since they did not have it when the fixed three weeks ago.
OH WELL, Welcome to the world of Mercedes Benz! That is why we love them!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by bcook201
That was a bummer because I was having warranty work done, and this was not covered. I was told it was a common problem in the CL.
Why didn't they cover it under warranty?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Originally Posted by mikey94025
Why didn't they cover it under warranty?
the car is out of warranty, thats why. Unless he has a CPO or some extended warranty coverage, then it would be out of his own pocket. No 2002 models are still in factory warranty. Hell, most of the '03 models are out or just about out of warranty these days.

One other trick you guys can try if it is an emergency situation and you know it will be getting replaced anyways, is to remove the shifter boot and knob and grab a hammer. One quick and sharp blow to the top of the shifter rod where the knob would normally be at while pulling back on the shifter with your other hand will knock it out of park and you can take it to the dealer or to your local trusted shop. I have done this numerous times to client's cars that I knew they would be paying for a new shifter anyways. Just please remember to take off the shift knob and boot before trying this..
Old 03-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Almost a Member!

I had the same problem with my 02 CL500. Lucky it was cover under warranty. I guess it is common.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 S500
Repair Solution

I have the plastic part in stock and I can ship worldwide. Log on to www.monoglobal.com.au to view and order the part.

Internal plastic lever is there to prevent children from inadvertedly moving the gearstick lever out of Park. Removing the lever may cause your car to roll away down a hill with your kids inside.

Choose from original plastic or high strength aluminum. Repairs can be done by any reputable MBZ shop in about an hour or two. No need for recoding with Star Diagnosis.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Cl500
I need help to remove the center console on 02 CL500 so I can take out the shifter box that stuck on park.
Since the center console has a plastic cross bar locate just in front of the shift stick, and the stick is stuck in park, that preventing me from removing the center console.
Do I need to use the mallet to hit on the shift stick to take it out of park position?
Any advise is appreciate it.
Thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Cl500
Dunkirk Spirit

Hi everyone...

Let me recount a story to you from last night.

I was driving from Germany back to England in my lovely CL500. I pulled into Dunkirk for petrol, filled the tank.

Hit the start stop button and the cars started. Then I could not shift into drive. Shift stuck... No matter what I tried. ... Then I could not turn the car off!! I had the key in briefcase... tried that... it would not move.

So I'm next to the petrol pump car idling... angry Frenchmen were tooting their horns etc... you can imagine... how hideous...

So I called my service guy, he was very helpful but could not suggest a fix.

I then called roadside assist and along came a French mechanic, his experience was limited to silly French stuff and he was utterly confused by keyless go and everything. So whilst he fiddled, I found this thread on my Blackberry internet...

The solution was suggested by smiler mick & racin Fool above... we took off the gear knob. I asked the mechanic to get a big mallet. He would not do the deed, for fear of breaking the car. So I covered the stick with a thick magazine and whacked the shifter with the hammer... Bang out it came after three hard knocks.

I could select D, R & N but if I flicked back to park we were back to square one.

So I had a work around which was infinitely better then dragging a running car onto a tow truck and then relaying back to England via the car ferry...

I'd like to thank you all on here for providing the emergency solution that got me out a fix which could have been horribly expensive and time consuming. I'm not religeous but thank god for blackberry, thank god for MBworld.

Its now off to the garage to fix properly...

Last edited by andrewcrown; 11-03-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM

CL 600
Originally Posted by monoglobal
I have the plastic part in stock and I can ship worldwide. Log on to www.monoglobal.com.au to view and order the part.

Internal plastic lever is there to prevent children from inadvertedly moving the gearstick lever out of Park. Removing the lever may cause your car to roll away down a hill with your kids inside.

Choose from original plastic or high strength aluminum. Repairs can be done by any reputable MBZ shop in about an hour or two. No need for recoding with Star Diagnosis.

So when the car wont disengage from "park" is it usually the shifter module(i assume this is an electronic part) or is it this piece in the pics above?

If its the piece above im gonna buy one just to have on hand for when the days comes.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
If you spill water on it, it's the electronic module. If it just breaks one day, it's that plastic part.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 PM

CL 600
Originally Posted by saintz
If you spill water on it, it's the electronic module. If it just breaks one day, it's that plastic part.
Thanks for making that really simple
Old 11-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Formerly W215 CL600
Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Thanks for making that really simple
1 month prior to me selling the car to you I had this issue and the entire shift assembly was replaced. You will not have to bother with this for a long time. But, yes the little piece is plastic and if you disassemble the assembly you could put a metal one in there.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:02 PM

CL 600
Originally Posted by Austinite
1 month prior to me selling the car to you I had this issue and the entire shift assembly was replaced. You will not have to bother with this for a long time. But, yes the little piece is plastic and if you disassemble the assembly you could put a metal one in there.
I feel much better knowing that.

There are 3 aluminium versions available. I emailed them to see which one fits an they told me i need to disassemble everything and check to know for sure. They are $180-$200 plus shipping. I think ill just wait, especially now that i know it was recently replaced.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Formerly W215 CL600
Its a pain in the neck to get to. You may see about finding out which one goes in there and order one. They are difficult to find.