CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Brake squeeks a lot. Should I change yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CL600
Brake squeeks a lot. Should I change yet?

My CL brakes squeeks really bad.

I thought I had to change the brakes and so I purchased front and rear rotors and pads from mercedes.

I brought to Big-O-Tires for inspection and they said I don't need to change the brakes as they are still good to use with 75% left. They said save my money and just live with the squeeks for a while.

I brought the car to Mercedes hoping them to solve it.
They said to change the brakes as it has 50% left and for a CL600, usually we do heavy braking and recommended to change at 45%. Quoted me about $450 for labor, and don't recommend to use my brake pads, textar and jurid, which I read from the forum is the OEM supplier.

What do you guys think? Advise please.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:12 AM

CL600 Sport
I just changed the pads on my 01 CL600 a couple weeks ago. I replaced the factory pads with Porterfield R4S carbon-kevlar composite pads. This means that the pads generate less brake dust, which is the up side. The down side is that, when cold, they require a little more pressure on the brake peddle to stop (about 2 stops worth). Once the pads warm up, they work great. The pads were very easy to replace as the calipers are made by Brembo. These calipers have openings at the top so you can slide the old pads up and out without having to remove the calipers or the rotors. All you do is remove the wheel, pull the wear sensor up and out, open the brake fluid cap, carefully spread the pads from the rotor so the brake pistons goes into the calipers (otherwise, you can't slide the new pads in), push 2 pins out on the calipers (the rear pads are held onto the calipers with only 1 pin), and pull the pads out from the top of the calipers. Be sure to use anti squeal solution on the backside of the new pads. I usually use Permatex blue. Once you replace one brake, it will make sense and the whole job should take about an hour. The pads cost $270 from formymercedes.com (but for some reason pads for the 2003 CL600 cost $10 less) and the Permatex cost about $10 (I bought 2 packages to make sure the pads didn't squeal). Make sure you properly break the pads in with gradual heat buildup (Jerry provides break-in procedures with the pads). Hope this helps.

Last edited by David M///; 05-02-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
David M stole my thunder - Permatex Blue, it definitely works, brakes pads are a very easy DIY.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:09 AM

CL600 Sport
I'm glad I'm not the only insomniac here