CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Looking at a CL600, some input needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:22 PM
luc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Looking at a CL600, some input needed

I found a 2001 CL600 for sale around here, it has 90,000miles black/black 18" AMG wheels but no AMG package.. How much is this thing worth and what kinds of issues do these cars have?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 PM

360 Spider
don't do it, get a 500 instead or wait for an 03 in your price range
Old 06-18-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kia Sedona
i just bought a 01 cl600 2 nights ago. it has 51k miles, bone stock except the car is lowered and a wood/leather shift with v12 on it. the big plus is that this car has mb warranty till 12-08 (starmarked before). i paid 43k to a private seller. it drives like a dream. i test drove a 03cl500 and another 01cl600 (not the one i bought) and the decision was obvious. if budget allows, a 03cl600 with twin turbo v12 will be ideal. of course, you "need" factory warranty. an extra $4-5k is definitely worth the peace of mind. an amg package is a big plus if you like it. mine does not. you can get an authentic wald kit for about $16-1700 shipped and another $400 painted and installed. a used set of amg/sport ground effects for the new 03 look will cost you about 1600 to 2600 plus paint and installation. personally, i would avoid a cl600 with 90k miles on it already. locally (in atlanta), i can find several cl 600's on sale for very reasonable price. for example, an 01cl600 with 12k miles (yes, 12k only) for $49k (they are eager to negotiate), an 03cl600 for 60k (on sale for several month if you know what i mean) and others on local newspaper. look around, you should find a deal especially when the new bodystyle is just around the corner. if you have anymore questions, sent me a pm.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:21 PM
luc

The thing is, the price is only $25K... now is it worth it?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:10 AM

Kia Sedona
that depends on what you want to do with the car. if you want to drive it and keep it for a long time and willing to put in tons of money to repair it when some little things happens then its ok. but if you can't afford a $4k repair bill next week when the abc fails and your car dropped to the ground and you can't drive it then don't get it. on the other hand, if you get it and tear it apart when something small broke and sell it for parts, you "might" break even or make some money. its your choice. personally, i won't get a cl600 with no warranty given its reputation.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:23 PM
luc

Do I need a Benz warranty or aftermarket is ok? Thing is the car is CLEAN, not a ding on it... how bad is the reliability issues...? Im coming from a Lexus so I don't know what to expect
Old 06-19-2006, 01:38 PM

Kia Sedona
you can't get mb warranty if the car doesn't have it already. some good aftermarket warranty does not cover the 600's (v12). talk to your local mb service rep and see what warranty they like and buy that. and buy the longest you can afford. since i only have the car for 3 days i can't tell you about the reliability issue but its a $130k car and if anything breaks its going to cost an arm and a leg. toyota does have good reputation, but they should not be allowed in the same sentence as the mighty cl600
Old 06-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Cl600

I have a 2000 CL500. Yes, That ABC pump is about $ 3500.00
and thats about the cost of my extended. 3 Year to 75K warranty.
That I bought in Feb 2004 for mine.
Just about every early CL will eat an ABC pump before 50K Miles.
Mine went at 28K miles.

Dont think you can get an extended on a CL600.
Or if you can its going to be an "arm and a leg".

I too would avoid the older CL600 unless you have the cashflow for it.
Save your money for a 03 or later. Go AMG over 600. Better residual value.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 PM
luc

Haha toyota, Lexus is a good car (GS,LS) don't know about the other models.. personally I would want the 03+ CL600 because of the twin turbo and the exterior upgrades... but I am 19 and on somewhat of a budget. Always wanted a W140 S500/6 seden but that's getting a little outdated so the W215 is my next favorite.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:49 PM

Kia Sedona
i got my 95 c220 new when i was 19 with my own money- tutored 3 kids while going to college (pre-med). it's worth every penny i spent on it-still running strong by the way. now i am almost 32 (finally finishing residency ) i figured an cl is a little more fitting than a clk. lexus/toyota are good cars. the japs took other people's ideas and combined them and tried to improve them and at the same time make them cheaper. like i said, they are good cars, they just don't have a soul like a mercedes (at least that's how i feel). if you are interested in the cl600 just because it's only$24k, i really don't think you should get it. its not worth the trouble you are likely to face. i understand where you are coming from. i was 19 once and i wanted a mercedes when i was 19 as well. trust me, 99% of people on the road do not know the difference between an c220 and the cl600 (just de-badge them and you will see). you are probably too young to appreciate such a superb driving machine anyway (i don't mean that in a bad way, i have driven more than 300k miles in the past 16yrs. how many have you driven?) my last advise-you probably should stay with a "LEXUS".
Old 06-19-2006, 11:32 PM
luc

Well, I been driving for close to 4 years now since I got my licence at 16 and im almost 20.. Had over 12 cars or so, some ****boxes some nice ones.. Had a 98 750IL V12 back in 2002 when I was 16 3 series/old E32 7 series, so basicly I liked BMW's... than bought the GS400.
Now im not a doctor or lawyer but I have enough income to cover my way of living without credit cards/loans handouts etc.
But I still think that a $130,000 Mercedes should be somewhat reliable.. I don't see why they can't build a car without so many glitches.

I driven around 130K-150k Miles..through out my driving career.
by 30 I'll probably be around 600-1million
Old 06-20-2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by luc
Haha toyota, Lexus is a good car (GS,LS) don't know about the other models.. personally I would want the 03+ CL600 because of the twin turbo and the exterior upgrades...
I haven't driven my turbo GS3 (well, now n/a) or any of my other cars since I acquired my CL600. I will give you the co-sign in regards to Lexus reliability. Those powerplants run forever w/o probs.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:29 PM
luc

2001 CL600 quote from the guy who sold it to me: "you are stepping way up, son!"

02 MB CL600 ("Yes, son....'6'!") Fully Loaded

lol, you guys buying your cars from bankrupt rap stars? hahah
Old 06-20-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by luc
2001 CL600 quote from the guy who sold it to me: "you are stepping way up, son!"

Ahhh......no.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:27 PM

Kia Sedona
Originally Posted by luc

maybe they are, but definitely not as bankrupt as the guy trying to sell a 01cl600 for $24k or the guy who try to pretend to be a rapper by buying a $24k "well kept" 01 cl600. i promise this is the last time i will respond to this thread. one only hear what they want to hear. good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:26 PM
luc

Talking

Why you getting emotional? Im not the one writing "your stepping way up son" as a quote from the person that sold me the car.. just sounds like some uneducated unworthy monkey sold you the car, that struck rich doing some dirt.

2nd off all you probably just got ripped off paying $43k for a 2001 and you are sad about it, and it shows by you trying to put down the car I mentioned.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:16 PM

CL600
Be prepared for maintenance, especially with that kind of mileage. My 01 has 35K miles, out of warranty my last bill was over 8K. I'm getting rid of this thing by the end of the year for a 360 modena, which are problably more reliable than these pre turbo V12's. I'll never buy a 600 again, theres a reason these things are so cheap used.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:51 AM

SL 500
From my experience and talking to dealers, YES, CL 600 are very expensive to maintain. But if you buy a USED CL, and it's Cerified Pre Owned, rest assured the dealership has properly fixed the major kinks and the car will be reliable. Plus a CPO warranty is up to 100,000 miles. You will still have to foot the Service A,B, brake/rotors,etc.. maintenance costs which are very steep.

Why would you ever think of buying from a private party without warranty or certification.. This is not an Accord or Camry. It's a CL.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:57 PM
luc

Its from a used car dealership! www.hurricanemotors.com
Old 06-21-2006, 03:00 PM
luc

Nevermind! it sold but they have a nice 2004 S430 with only 23K miles on it for 37K not a bad deal
Old 06-21-2006, 03:08 PM

SL 500
LUC,

I am not gonna lecture you since you're a young kid, but do your due diligence when researching auto dealers. In this case Hurricane Motors is not highly regarding by consumer affairs or the Better Business Bureau.

Again my advice, don't be lured by low prices. Buy from an authorized Benz dealer. Trust me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Better Business Bureau®
Serving Florida's West Coast
P.O. Box 7950
Clearwater, FL 33758-7950
(727) 535-5522 (24 Hours)
www.bbbwestflorida.org

Hurricane Motors
1772 W Hillsborough Ave
Tampa, FL 33603-1131
Telephone: (813) 244-1714
Fax: (813) 350-0970

Original Business Start Date: February 1994
Principal: Mr. Jeff Gonzales, Owner
Customer Contact: Mr. Jeff Gonzales, Owner - (813) 876-5506
TOB Classification: Auto Dealers-Used Cars
BBB Membership: This company is not a member.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record
BBB Definition:

unsatisfactory record - A company has an "unsatisfactory business performance record" with the Bureau is based on the experiences reflected in BBB files. This file condition results when the company has failed to resolve or respond to complaints, repeatedly failed to respond or resolve issues in a timely manner, failed to resolve the underlying issues for a pattern
BBB Definition:

pattern - More than 2 complaints involving the same allegations usually within 12 months that are significant in relation to the company's size and volume of business.

of complaints, failed to honor their commitment to mediate or arbitrate disputes or honor mediated agreements or arbitrated decisions, failed to substantiate, modify or discontinue false advertising claims that are challenged by the BBB, or failed to discontinue unauthorized use of the BBB name and logo, a Federally protected trademark.

with the Bureau due to an unanswered complaint. However the business has resolved
BBB Definition:

resolved - The company resolved the complaint issues.

most complaints presented to the bureau.

When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.

The Bureau processed a total of 3 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 3 complaints closed in 36 months, 1 was closed in the last year.

Sales Practice Issues
BBB Definition:

Sales Practice Issues - Claims of alleged sales presentations made in person or by telephone that contain misrepresentations of the product or service, high pressure sales practices, failure to disclose key conditions of the offer, and verbal representations not consistent with written contractual terms or agreements.

Resolved
BBB Definition:

Resolved - The company resolved the complaint issues.

1 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.

Product Issues
BBB Definition:

Product Issues - Claim alleging a product does not meet the expectations of the complainant, including defective merchandise.

Administratively Closed
BBB Definition:

Administratively Closed - The Bureau determined that the complaint could not be satisfactorily settled using standard methods of voluntary dispute resolution.

1 - BBB determined that despite the company's effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.
No Response
BBB Definition:

No Response - The company failed to respond to the complaint.

1 - Company failed to respond to the BBB or to the consumer to resolve the issues.

Competency Licensing

This company is in an industry that may require licensing, bonding or registration in order to lawfully do business. The Bureau encourages you to check with the appropriate agency to be certain any requirements are currently being met.

Company Management

Additional company management personnel include:

Mr. Shayne Robinson - Former Owner
Mr. Dave Manning - Manager

Additional DBAs, Addresses and Telephone Numbers

Additional Phone Numbers
(813) 876-5506

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org)
http://www.bbbwestflorida.org/common...ml?bid=6100359
Old 06-21-2006, 03:31 PM
luc

I ain't getting lured into anything... I just think used dealer/private party is a better buy, maybe not on a 600 but on everything else.

I never bought a new car and not planning on it, even the used cars from authorized retailers are not worth it.. the premium you pay on them usually outweighs the value or repair costs you may run into.

Let me ask you, when you trade in your used benz for a newer one, do they pay you TOP trade in?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Talking Buying a Mercedes

I would agree with you on private party vs dealer. You can save some $$.
But you need to keep a few things in mind.

1. The history of the car. How many owners. Service history.
If you have a relationship with a good Benz Service guy.
He can look all of this up for you. Find a Benz dealer SA. Make a friend.
2. Remaining warranty. Extended warranty. Can you purchase extended?
These are very important when it comes to owning a used Benz.
3. Your cash flow. These cars require a certain "ability to fund".
If you dont have a few months income on the shelf. This car
is going to hurt you if something goes wrong and no warranty.
You wont be able to afford to fix it and you are really going to be
dissatisfied with the experience of owning a Benz.
4. I would suggest a used SLK320 or a CL500 on the high end.
S430 are troublesome. Save your $$ and get a E350 or something else.
Buy from a private party that has $$$ and receipts. Less owners is best.
Use Autotrader and Carfax and do your homework.
5. Avoid a used car lot unless you can get the car checked out in advance
by a Benz Dealer and get the history on the car.

Most important thing is to enjoy the experience of buying a car like this and take your time. AVOID BUYERS REGRET. Being young can make this difficult.
You have the funds and you want it now. I remember being your age.
Make this first Benz something you are proud of and think of all you can learn
shopping for a great car.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:34 PM
luc

Thanks for the input, pretty much common stuff, im young but I don't have that craving to buy right now anymore, ive done that already, I buy smart ..

The high end used dealers can usually get you all the service records, and alot of the cars are one owner off lease so its still a good purchase.
I don't like the lower end models, even the s430 don't satisfy me