CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

stupid key design

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kia Sedona
stupid key design

did they change the key design for later model w215's? my key fob has the ring on the metal key itself and the remote control part always gets detached from the metal key. my son dropped it in the middle of the drive way and someone rang over it. it still works but it's all scratched up can i get a used key from ebay and reprogram it by the dealer (since i don't need the metal key)?
Old 07-30-2006, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by 02ml320
did they change the key design for later model w215's? my key fob has the ring on the metal key itself and the remote control part always gets detached from the metal key. my son dropped it in the middle of the drive way and someone rang over it. it still works but it's all scratched up can i get a used key from ebay and reprogram it by the dealer (since i don't need the metal key)?
Get a used key and swap the plastic shells.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:02 PM

Kia Sedona
do they fit alright after you open and close the shell? have you done it before? i see a lot of used s, c, e class remote keys on ebay that looks just like the cl's. any one know if i can just reprogram it and replace the metal key with my own?
Old 08-27-2006, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only dealer can re-program the key! Bring your registration, or title, and license or ID ...for prove of ownership.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:43 AM

2008 GMC Sierra
I would not call it a stupid key design for the fact that after somone ran over it and it STILL worked??? I would reserve the "stupid" for another day.

Ed
Old 08-27-2006, 01:52 PM

Kia Sedona
[QUOTE=sped]I would not call it a stupid key design for the fact that after somone ran over it and it STILL worked??? I would reserve the "stupid" for another day.

no, the "stupid" part is referring to the fact that the attachment is on the metal key which can easily dis-engage and key remote will be lost. why would i call it stupid if it still works after a car ran over it that's call quality workmanship. just stupid design. your post reminded me of the $2.99 wendy's commercial.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:53 PM

Kia Sedona
Originally Posted by dannydang
Only dealer can re-program the key! Bring your registration, or title, and license or ID ...for prove of ownership.
but can they reprogram a "used" remote though?
Old 08-28-2006, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
[QUOTE=02ml320]
Originally Posted by sped
I would not call it a stupid key design for the fact that after somone ran over it and it STILL worked??? I would reserve the "stupid" for another day.

no, the "stupid" part is referring to the fact that the attachment is on the metal key which can easily dis-engage and key remote will be lost. why would i call it stupid if it still works after a car ran over it that's call quality workmanship. just stupid design. your post reminded me of the $2.99 wendy's commercial.
That's a feature! You can lock the trunk with the metal key, remove it and hand the valet the shell. The old system of a separate valet key was stupid -- who ever remembered to carry their valet key?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:56 AM

Kia Sedona
i'm glad someone likes it. anyway, an update on the broken key. i got a used key remote off ebay for $15 shipped and swapped the core out and replaced the metal key and now my remote looks brand spanking new again and works just fine. hope the new metal shelled remote will be compatible as well.