Removing Resonator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL600
Removing Resonator

Hey guys,

I'm not that active on the site..my 01 CL600 has been just sitting.. I'm getting new rims soon and I was thinking of removing my resonator. The car currently has the CL55 quad tip mufflers.

Have any of you guys done it? Does it add some sound to our otherwise subtle sounding cars?

Let me know, and how much does the work typically cost?

Thanks guys, heres a pic of my car btw:

Oh and the wheels are for sale in case anyone is interested, 20 x 9 real brabus mono 5 3 piece, approx 40-50% on tires, looking for about 3K. These were about $5,700 new. In great condition.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
MBZW210:

That picture of your car is fantastic and your ride looks georgeous!

Perfect lowering job.

Why do some pics just MAKE a car and others (like the ones I take) just make the car seem ho-hum?

If you like annoying, constant, and (IMO) lame sounding exhaust; then "straight pipe" the resonators, but I think your ride is too nice for that and it deserves a Brabus exhaust, or if you like it a little louder go with the "Eisennman"

Any good muffler shop can remove the resonators and weld in straight pipes for $75-$250 depending on who you know. "Real exhaust" might run you $2k-$4k.

My biggest point here is that your ride looks sweet. What wheels are you going to change to?

OC kid

Last edited by OC kid; 11-12-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL600
Hey thanks for the comments. I appreciate it. Your ride is sweet too I was going to get those Moven rims for my E class but I decided to sell it and get the CL.

Ya I was afraid of it sounding bad. I remember reading a post here long time ago from someone who ran the strait pipes with the CL55 exhuast like mine and supposedly it sounded good. I'm problably not gonna change exhuasts, too much work lol I gotta get a new exhuast then sell mine ship it etc.

rims I'm thinking of getting something staggered with a big lip. These are 20 x 9 all around. Won't be a big name most likely since nowdays I dont want to put too much into the car cosmetically since it keeps acting up every now and then mechanically.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not stock.
here is my idea on straight pipes / resonator delete:

Go to a reputable performance shop, one that does custom piping, custom exhausts.....etc. You can delete your "mid pipes", with the factory resonator, and have them build you a replacement set with high-flow resonators, normally using magnaflow 4" round straight through mufflers, and with pipes that match your current exhaust..........

this way you will get more sound-n-rumble out of the exhaust, and still keep interior noise down.... this shouldnt run you more than $300, which is still alot less than buying a whole new exhaust... and you can always switch back to stock if your dont like it..... just my .02.