Here we go again!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes!
Here we go again!

Hey everyone,

I have another problem/malfunction/pain in the *** with my CL. This time the car overheated. The display read, "Coolant-visit workshop." I looked this up in my manual and surely enough it was my cooling fan. Is the fan covered by warranty and how much does it usually go for? Do you think there is anything else that could have gone wrong? The check engine light came on and the car kept vibrating. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by CoupeLeicht600
Hey everyone,

I have another problem/malfunction/pain in the *** with my CL. This time the car overheated. The display read, "Coolant-visit workshop." I looked this up in my manual and surely enough it was my cooling fan. Is the fan covered by warranty and how much does it usually go for? Do you think there is anything else that could have gone wrong? The check engine light came on and the car kept vibrating. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
My guess is everything should be fine once you fix the root problem; the engine fan. The vibration is probably the ECU trying to keep the engine from being fried. I have the Starmark warranty on my CL. This is straight from my warranty booklet:

11. COOLING SYSTEM: Thermostat, radiator, fan clutch, engine fan (including electronic fan), coolant expansion tank, transmission and engine oil coolers as well as the metal lines and fittings.

I think you'll be OK with the warranty coverage. Good luck with the repairs and hang in there. CL's are like high maintenance divas. Sexy, but expensive to satisfy.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:19 AM

Yes!
Thanks for the advice CL500.

I just had anothe quick question if you would be so kind as to answer. The vibration I've had started reoccurring after I received my car back from the Service B. Coincidently, when the problem was first noticed, it was the idler pulley belt and then all of a sudden the engine fan blew out. What could have been the probable cause for this and how come the diagnostic computer didn't pick it up? If you could give me some more insight to this, I would highly appreciate it.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:00 AM

E90 N54 & W251
Thanks for the advice CL500.

I just had anothe quick question if you would be so kind as to answer. The vibration I've had started reoccurring after I received my car back from the Service B. Coincidently, when the problem was first noticed, it was the idler pulley belt and then all of a sudden the engine fan blew out. What could have been the probable cause for this and how come the diagnostic computer didn't pick it up? If you could give me some more insight to this, I would highly appreciate it.
Good questions, but there are too many unknowns. Things do fail out of the blue on these cars. You said it resurfaced after the service B. From what my SA told me, when the cars are hooked up to the diagnostic computer for error codes during a service A/B, only current error codes are seen, not past ones. If everything was fine and dandy during the service B, nothing would show up on the diagnostic computer. I can't confirm, but that's what I was told. The idler pulley belt handles a number of components. You can look at the fan issue as a coincidence, dealer mess up or isolated occurrence. The fan is more than likely a covered component under your MB warranty. It could be a failed fan control module or something. I would get the fan issue addressed immediately and mention the severity and timing of the vibrations. Since you were experiencing vibrations when the fan was operational, it could be another isolated issue. When the car is at service, have them hook it up to diagnostics and see what comes up. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:31 PM

Yes!
The dealer called me today and he told me that it was, of course, the engine fan that caused the overheating, coolant problem, and etc. Also, he said the reason for the severe vibration was due to the O2 (oxygen sensor) being blown up or it was its time. However, I'll be picking up the car tomorrow and hopefully no other surprises will be headed my way. Thank you so much for your advice, suggestions, and expertise; I'll surely let you know what happens.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 AM

E90 N54 & W251
The dealer called me today and he told me that it was, of course, the engine fan that caused the overheating, coolant problem, and etc. Also, he said the reason for the severe vibration was due to the O2 (oxygen sensor) being blown up or it was its time. However, I'll be picking up the car tomorrow and hopefully no other surprises will be headed my way. Thank you so much for your advice, suggestions, and expertise; I'll surely let you know what happens.
NP.

I'm glad to hear they were fairly minor, repairable issues. Enjoy the drive!