CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Transmission Clicking noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Clicking noise?

Can anyone out there relate to his problem or heard of this problem? I have an 01 Cl600 with 65k miles on it and noticed a clicking noise. At first, I thought it was the auxillary fan since this only happens when I have the heater or ac fan on. Come to find out, it gets noticably loud while at idle and in gear. I drove the car today and tested it out. I came to the conclusion that it may have something to do with the tranny because with the fan on by itself, no noticable noise can be heard. As soon as I put the car in gear, the ticking comes on. Put it in neutral, the sound goes away. Another thing i noticed is that if I were to put a little gas to the pedal, the noise goes away telling me that it is at its loudest at the current idle setting. (Again, all of this happens only when the heater / AC fan is on with the car in gear and at idle.) Any thoughts or recommendations will be apprciated.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
maybe u need some tranny fluid
Old 01-18-2007, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by 02S430
maybe u need some tranny fluid
or bad tranny mounts. had a clicking noise in my W163, thats what the dealers have replaced. and no more.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the input...I took the car to the dealer today and the mech there was telling me the sound may be there because of a bad ABC pump. Make any sense to any of you? After further troubleshooting myself, I came to realize that the sound is coming from the engine and not the tranny. There is a noticable clicking sound coming from the right side of the engine when the car is in gear. When it's put in neutral or park, the sound goes away immediately. This time the sound comes on reguarless if I have the heater or ac on. (it's a lot louder if the heater or ac is on) I'm going to send it to another shop sometime this week for a second opinion but hopefully some of you may not what im talking about and can help me. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Thumbs down The nasty ABC pump blues.

Its the ABC pump if the noise or clicks match
the RPM when in neutral. Has it been getting louder ?
Can you feel the clicks in the steering wheel as slight vibrations ?

If the answer is yes. Its the pump going south.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by BKTCL600
Thanks for the input...I took the car to the dealer today and the mech there was telling me the sound may be there because of a bad ABC pump. Make any sense to any of you? After further troubleshooting myself, I came to realize that the sound is coming from the engine and not the tranny. There is a noticable clicking sound coming from the right side of the engine when the car is in gear. When it's put in neutral or park, the sound goes away immediately. This time the sound comes on reguarless if I have the heater or ac on. (it's a lot louder if the heater or ac is on) I'm going to send it to another shop sometime this week for a second opinion but hopefully some of you may not what im talking about and can help me. Thanks in advance.
probably is the abc pump i know the airmatic pump is under the passenger headlight and the airtank is under the drivers
Old 01-20-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by bltserv
Its the ABC pump if the noise or clicks match
the RPM when in neutral. Has it been getting louder ?
Can you feel the clicks in the steering wheel as slight vibrations ?

If the answer is yes. Its the pump going south.
When it's in neutral or in park, the sound goes away. The sound only comes on when it's in gear. It gets even louder if I turn the a/c or heater on! I don't feel vibrations in the steering wheel but I do feel it on the pedal. I guess it more and more sounds like the ABC pump from what everyone is saying on here. Anyone have a take on what the repair cost will be like for me?

Last edited by BKTCL600; 01-20-2007 at 10:19 PM.