CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Any problem-free CL's out there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Cl 500
Wow! And i thought i was the only one thinking that famed question. Mercedes has this hipnotic kinda thing going on with them, what im trying to say is. These cars are far from cheap! And yet from the most expensive to the least we continue to toilorate its quirks. Like you said one would think after spending so much cash on the car you should not have all these probs we mercedes owners experience with these cars. Im a professional mechanic and there was a time we would be able to shave the cost down a wee bit but it seems being a mechanic only keeps you that much more busy tackling all the forever going quirks! Im gonna soon throw in the towel on my 02 CL500! Can never top off at the finish line of issues!
Old 12-08-2018, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
W215 reliability? That’s two words I wouldn’t expect to see in the same sentence typically. The biggest fault is the abc system, by far. there are plenty of bushings, sensors etc that seem to not fair extremely well past 100k miles. And good luck with your crankshaft positioning sensor

however I do believe through mercedes service bulletins, recalls, this forum/benzworld, and through general knowledge, the car is perfectly capable of being a reliable platform - if and ONLY IF you are willing to work on this car yourself.(or spend plenty on a mechanic)

this was half the reason I decided to try coilovers on this platform, most other reliability issues had been solved by the time I came to ownership of this car around 2012. The main hold up with this platform was the suspension and finally a kit came out and I tried it. Now we have 3/4 different companies offering suspension alternatives to this car. The suspension is no longer the Achilles heel of this platform.

as with most electronically laden models, the earlier model years are often the worst in terms of reliability. I’ve heard of plenty of peculiar issues on this car, and maybe I’ve just had a particularly reliable model, but most, of my features still seem to work.

I have an issue with my cigarette lighter not working, could’ve been from my doing, and could also be easily fixed. I think my rain sensor doesn’t work perfectly, again, I think this was because of a cheap windshield replacement before I owned the car. Could just be the sensor itself, it IS 16 years old after all.

The reputation of the crankshaft sensor in m113 engines should qualify replacing it as regular maintenance... same goes for the transmission, disregard mercedes advice on the “sealed for life” nonsense and invest in a dipstick. Yes they are $70 OEM and you should probably get used to paying funny amounts for seemingly trivial tools like the transmission dipstick. This is a $100k car, with a waiting list to get imported into the US when it was new.... you aren’t going to replace an entire exhaust for $500 like te eBay exhaust kits for Honda civics. I think I heard the facelift models don’t even include an engine oil dipstick? Lol. I have the electronic oil level sensor in my car but I still prefer the dipstick for oil changes etc

All in all, if you are willing to do the work, and address the inherently flawed abc system, especially problematic on the early models(make sure you get your recalls address), the W215 can be a great platform. I would shy away from the v12 models for the average mechanic, the engine bay is already cramped enough for regular work on the v8...I can’t imagine having to lift the engine or drop the subframe every time I had to address the power steering or alternator..

i will admit this car was largely engineered to work well during the initial warrantied years, and some plastic components may not fair well over 20/30 years. You’d better get handy with JB weld, it’s funny how a $100k car is the one that has most acquainted me with such a crude product like JB weld... but overall this machine was engineered quite well

Last edited by ctravis595; 12-08-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2007 S550 & 2009 CL63 AMG & 2009 BMW 328i Convertible
I have an 2003 CL600. I purchased it used. The front struts had been changed and the coil packs also.. This car is the WWW.Bomb.COM I love it. No measureable issues to mention. 22+ mpg on highway, 13-15 city I must mention I have the Pressertech stage 2 upgrade which gives it an additional 100hp plus some ungodly amount of torque.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
C Travis...facelift CL500s do have an engine dipstick.

I do not wish to tempt fate so...I'm out.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:11 PM

I had a conversation with a multiple W215 model owner; he has had two. His current car has 140K on it. NEVER a coil pack issue. Never a ABC issue. He did have to change both front struts when he hit a crater (Massive pot hole) in DC. I currently use his mechanic to service my cars as of recent. His mechanic informed me that MB said they should have made ABC fluid change part of the routine service. Many ABC systems fail because of debris/ contamination in the system over time. A fluid and filter change periodically goes a long way.
Personally I will NEVER! put coil overs on my CL600. The technology in the suspension system from 2003 eclipses suspensions of today in American cars. When cornering, its like a leopard climbing a tree (All grip) Now add on the two fire breathing dragons squatting on top. (That **** makes me weak! LOL)
Old 02-13-2019, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by MrTracy
I had a conversation with a multiple W215 model owner; he has had two. His current car has 140K on it. NEVER a coil pack issue. Never a ABC issue. He did have to change both front struts when he hit a crater (Massive pot hole) in DC. I currently use his mechanic to service my cars as of recent. His mechanic informed me that MB said they should have made ABC fluid change part of the routine service. Many ABC systems fail because of debris/ contamination in the system over time. A fluid and filter change periodically goes a long way.
Personally I will NEVER! put coil overs on my CL600. The technology in the suspension system from 2003 eclipses suspensions of today in American cars. When cornering, its like a leopard climbing a tree (All grip) Now add on the two fire breathing dragons squatting on top. (That **** makes me weak! LOL)
i have 5 cl , four cl500 and one cl600
it makes no sense that there’s both a abc and power steering filter system yet Mercedes never specified intervals for fluid /filter changes . I guess they thought it would last the lifetime of the car .

They eventually changed their recommendations for fluid and filter changes every 40k Miles for the transmission . They should have also specified abc and power steering fluid and filter changes at the same interval . This would be a $1000 ++ service by a mb dealer every 40k miles but well worth it
Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CL 500
Not getting the coilovers, the ABC system will get some needed service to renew o-rings in the pumps and new accumulators.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:44 PM

That's just the dinner after the movie for the date. You get to ride that "Sexy *****"!
Old 02-13-2019, 09:50 PM

Keep it original

Originally Posted by ducati9000
Not getting the coilovers, the ABC system will get some needed service to renew o-rings in the pumps and new accumulators.
Amen, Amen... Its funny I see her so many folks changing to coil overs to save money which is cool I guess. However, purist like myself will NEVER! buy a modified car. I like my 18" wheels and all. Unmodified cars are just worth more and appeal to a broader audience..
Now, that being said, there is one thing I would like to change but I haven't done it yet. I would like to get the radio into this era; Bluetooth, nav, etc. Now the only way I will do that is if I can get one with the same factory look with the two knobs flanked by the buttons. I've looked into Seicane, but the 03 is before digital so they do not have one that doesn't look aftermarket for this model year. I do not want to change any amplifier or speakers.

If anyone knows one; please chime in.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tusabes

i have 5 cl , four cl500 and one cl600
it makes no sense that there’s both a abc and power steering filter system yet Mercedes never specified intervals for fluid /filter changes . I guess they thought it would last the lifetime of the car .

They eventually changed their recommendations for fluid and filter changes every 40k Miles for the transmission . They should have also specified abc and power steering fluid and filter changes at the same interval . This would be a $1000 ++ service by a mb dealer every 40k miles but well worth it

i believe most abc failures are because the fluid was never changed until 50/60k miles at best. I think if all abc cars had regular fluid changes every 10k miles then we’d see about 1/3rd of the same issues with abc

Old 02-15-2019, 10:41 AM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
I could not agree more. I had my CL55 for 10 years and 100,000 miles and never had an ABC or any other major issue. Best car I have ever owned.

However, i also had an expert mechanic maintain it on a regular basis. Maintenance is the key.

The ABC system makes the car handle like none other and is like an E ticket ride at Disneyland. Personally I prefer the 55 over the 65 because I like the instant gratification/roar of the supercharger. But either way, an awesome car!

I think the negative comments about the CL have to be taken in context. There are a lot of people here seeking fix it answers that buy old junky non maintained CL’s for $5K and then cry about the cost of fixing things and the lack of reliability. DUH!

I think the experience of long term owners who have maintained their cars is far more relevant to the overall reliability of the cars—which is second to none.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RonCL55

I could not agree more. I had my CL55 for 10 years and 100,000 miles and never had an ABC or any other major issue. Best car I have ever owned.

However, i also had an expert mechanic maintain it on a regular basis. Maintenance is the key.

The ABC system makes the car handle like none other and is like an E ticket ride at Disneyland. Personally I prefer the 55 over the 65 because I like the instant gratification/roar of the supercharger. But either way, an awesome car!

I think the negative comments about the CL have to be taken in context. There are a lot of people here seeking fix it answers that buy old junky non maintained CL’s for $5K and then cry about the cost of fixing things and the lack of reliability. DUH!

I think the experience of long term owners who have maintained their cars is far more relevant to the overall reliability of the cars—which is second to none.
more dumb comments from you, big surprise... there's not more than a few people on these boards who paid only 4 figures for their w215 "there are a lot of people her who bought CL's for $5k" ok please show us? my CL had 56k miles on it with full service records. Within a year there was a failing strut and a failing ABC pump. The car had already had the fire hazard hoses from ABC addressed too. there was practically no scheduled maintenance set up for the w215 like there should of been, so to say everyone "non maintained" their cars is kinda ignorant. mercedes also said the transmission was "sealed for life". mercedes put out a very hit or miss system, with little to none documentation on maintaining the system

here's a guy with over 200k miles on an ABC SL with all original equipment, they also changed the fluid every 20k miles. https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...t-article.html

like my comment before yours, mercedes neglected to establish any sort of maintenance schedule on the suspension for these cars, so many of us bought nice CL's for 5 figures but no one ever knew to change the ABC fluid until the car already had 30/40k miles. my biggest confusion with all of your comments on the CL is that you don't own it anymore, why would you get rid of a car you continually speak so highly of?
Old 02-16-2019, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Fluid and filter changes never did anything for my ABC equipped vehicles. Pumps still failed every 50k miles or less. Hoses still blow, accumulators still fail, valve blocks get clogged, and things go bad. What some say on ABC maintenance surely helps to a degree but the notion that is a cure all is a myth.

With that said, if we are talking about replacing things before they break, that's a whole other topic. Replacing hoses and accumulators on the V12 cars every 50k and the fluid every 25k is probably a good idea. Even then, the pumps can and do fail.

Last edited by BlownV8; 02-16-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:59 PM

Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS

ctravis595 I really dont know what your deal is.

You appear to have appointed yourself as the CL God and issued an edict that all CLs are unreliable pieces of crap, especially the ABC system.

When someone dares to not follow your teaching and wont drink your sacramental Kool-aid, you bring fire and brimstone down upon them.

My post that you took such umbrage to was not even addressed to or aimed at you (I know it is hard to believe that people don't actually think about you constantly).

For the benefit of potential CL buyers, I merely hypothesized that the reliability opinions of long term CL owners who regularly maintain their cars should be given more weight than the reliability opinions of new owners who bought poorly maintained, cheap cars.

To me that seems like a self evident statement and I was hoping to help potential CL buyers parse through all of the differing points of view (a number of which are in this very thread) and share with them my experiences as an owner of a CL for 10 years. However, you apparently took great umbrage to my post and ordained that my actual real life experience should be ignored. You obviously view as heresy my statement that my CL was the most reliable car I have ever owned.

I believe a picture tells a 1000 words and here are 2 pictures that tell the whole story. The first is my grey CL55 with 100K miles and the second is your black CL with 56K miles. I think I know why you have such reliability issues but I will leave it to the readers to draw their own conclusions.

Last edited by RonCL55; 02-16-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Stunning CL Ron! Let me also add, my experience is with the V12 ABC models only SL & CL. I do believe the intense heat in those engine bays lead to more issues and less reliability. I have taken two of them to 100k miles each.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:19 PM

Thanks BlownV8. I had heard that the V12’s had more issues but then they are much more complex than the V8s. However, at the end of the day you are driving a V12 supercar. Who wouldn’t love that!

Last edited by RonCL55; 02-16-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My CL looks better even when body trim was missing haha

To be frank you’re just annoying, you come into these forums to talk ****.. but ironically you don’t even own a 215 lol. Your head is THAT far up your *** that you don’t even realize it either...

When you come into a sub-forum with the intention of telling everyone they either;
A) didn’t maintain their car properly
B) drive a cheap Mexican taxi cab if they convert to coilovers
....then don’t be surprised when people call you a jackass....

You can’t even answer the original question and tell us about all these folk with $5000 CL’s, you just deflect and keep running your mouth. Your mechanic made a small fortune convincing you to maintain your Abc system and even though you’ve sold your AMAZING CL, you are THAT deep in denial that you return to 215 forums to claim your investment in ABC was wise... hell, most real W215 owners don’t even bother with these forums anymore

What kind of weird **** is that? This isn’t 2002 anymore...your “advice” that ABC is a system that “only the most elite of car owners know how to maintain” is practically useless. You are talking about 14-20 year old cars, any ABC system not regularly serviced from the beginning of ownership is doomed and you agree. So what are you accomplishing by being here?

Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

also I never once said 215 or ABC was crap, I’ve just reiterated the WIDELY accepted opinion that ABC is problematically unreliable at best and at worst caused some 215’s to even catch on fire lolllll
Old 02-17-2019, 12:59 AM

Ctravis595, so not only are you the CL God and get to tell people what to think but now you also get to tell people who should and should not be on this site! Do you ever actually ever listen to yourself?

Since your are so interested in what happened to my CL the following should answer your questions:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...ml#post7405715

As I say in the link, the CL is the most reliable/incredible car that I ever owned. Nuff said.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RonCL55
Ctravis595, so not only are you the CL God and get to tell people what to think but now you also get to tell people who should and should not be on this site! Do you ever actually ever listen to yourself?

Since your are so interested in what happened to my CL the following should answer your questions:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...ml#post7405715

As I say in the link, the CL is the most reliable/incredible car that I ever owned. Nuff said.
Then buy another one and quit talking ****. Just a suggestion ya know, not trying to play ‘CL god’ or whatever you claim
Old 02-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Back to our regularly scheduled programming

I love my CL600. I will keep it "All natural" except maybe a look alike radio change. I would rather drive this CL over my newer S550

The following users liked this post:
RonCL55 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Amen, Amen... Its funny I see her so many folks changing to coil overs to save money which is cool I guess. However, purist like myself will NEVER! buy a modified car. I like my 18" wheels and all. Unmodified cars are just worth more and appeal to a broader audience..
Now, that being said, there is one thing I would like to change but I haven't done it yet. I would like to get the radio into this era; Bluetooth, nav, etc. Now the only way I will do that is if I can get one with the same factory look with the two knobs flanked by the buttons. I've looked into Seicane, but the 03 is before digital so they do not have one that doesn't look aftermarket for this model year. I do not want to change any amplifier or speakers.

If anyone knows one; please chime in.
I have an Android unit which looks like the one in the pic you posted. You can get an interface to allow the fiber optics to continue
etc.

For example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoradio...IfRq:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited by renault12ts; 02-19-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by renault12ts
I have an Android unit which looks like the one in the pic you posted. You can get an interface to allow the fiber optics to continue
etc.

For example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoradio...IfRq:rk:1:pf:0

thank you thank you, thank you! my life in now complete.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just wanted to add, I’m not sure many folks are switching to coilovers just to “save money”. I think it’s the same reason you want to upgrade the stereo despite being a purist who prefers OEM

ABC had a very unreliable reputation when these cars were new, now after 15-20 years, I feel it’s only logical to believe the unreliability of these systems increases with age/wear

you have to realize, no one buys a W215 with the intent to save money lol. I think you can buy a brand new Kia for $9000...

The unreliable nature of ABC, that could even be deemed unsafe(suspension systems failing at highway speeds surely isn’t anything to gamble with) just isn’t something people wanted to deal with. There are plenty of world-class cars who use coilovers, and the W215 is still a great car with ABC removed.

Those who take huge stake in ABC make me wonder whether they believe the rest of the W215 to be garbage, besides Abc.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mercedes cl500 w215 ...cls500 219 .E class W212 E250 & E350
I’ve had my cl 500 for 8 years It’s a year 2000 that came without navigation screen ..never seen that in another cl w215
Anyway
today I just completed its 286000 mile
never had a transmission issue or fluid change throughout its 19 yr life and it came with history as long as my arm! Every single receipt and repair
In 19 years
Replaced two abc high pressure lines with higher rated ones that I had made at the local hydraulics hose place..$35 each
its on its second ABC pump and I replaced all the o rings in the ABC valves ....less than 3 bucks but 2 hours of work
one ride sensor required replacing
two suspension struts have been replaced
wires in door repaired
washer bottle sensor replaced
one seat squab
every ball joint and bushing on suspension has been replaced some two or three times .
wheel bearings still good
still has original exhaust system
They where built pretty well I think and running on propane really economical to run with propane half the price ...tank in wheel well..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any problem-free CL's out there?