CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

CL600 electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS430, GL450, SL550
CL600 electrical gremlins

I thought mbworld members would be interested in an experience my brother recently had with his 2003 CL600. He was out in the middle of nowhere when he experienced a problem: the transmission would not go into gear. The engine was running, and could not be shut off. He called Tele-Aid and they said nothing could be done-the car would have to be hauled to a dealer. He called his dealer, and they told him the same thing. Being an electrical engineer, my brother reasoned that some computer in the car needed a reboot. After considerable perusing of the car's instruction manual, be found a section that explained how to shut the engine off if it would not turn off by the usual method. It involved pulling a fuse, which was not readily found. But when he did find it, the engine turned off. He then replaced the fuse and the car started and everything ran normally! This experience not only calls into question the design integrity of the car but also the competence of the Tele-Aid and dealer people.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM

2003 CL500
not surprised at all...

mb/bmw owners have to know more than the average driver in order to keep their vehicles running, regardless of how new it is. the mb philosophy is to replace no matter what, instead of trying to fully understand and repair the problem. also, the expression i've heard the most is: 'it could be a number of things' >>> i think i could get to that juncture well enough on my own.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GMC Sierra
My car has to be rebooted at least once a month. The knowlwdge of the Teleaid people is very limited, they are only supposed to help in general terms. As far as the dealer goes they can not stay in business if they diagnose every complaint over the phone, plus what if they tell you to do something that may cause a safety issue and someone got hurt. Would you then go back to them and sue them? I have gone to the dealer and they fixed my car without charging me a cent, I would take it in and see if they can download something out of the computer.
Ed
Old 03-02-2007, 10:49 AM

2003 CL500
they need to focus on research and development

Originally Posted by rcf8000
I thought mbworld members would be interested in an experience my brother recently had with his 2003 CL600. He was out in the middle of nowhere when he experienced a problem: the transmission would not go into gear. The engine was running, and could not be shut off. He called Tele-Aid and they said nothing could be done-the car would have to be hauled to a dealer. He called his dealer, and they told him the same thing. Being an electrical engineer, my brother reasoned that some computer in the car needed a reboot. After considerable perusing of the car's instruction manual, be found a section that explained how to shut the engine off if it would not turn off by the usual method. It involved pulling a fuse, which was not readily found. But when he did find it, the engine turned off. He then replaced the fuse and the car started and everything ran normally! This experience not only calls into question the design integrity of the car but also the competence of the Tele-Aid and dealer people.
and gremlins was a good movie, i have the special edition dvd.