CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Newbie worried

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500 AMG
Exclamation Newbie worried

Hello Guys and Girls... I just got a 2001 cl500 amg. After reading some of your problems with this car im a little worried about my choice. I love the looks, size ,and stance of the ride But now i think im going to be forking over stupid ammounts of cash with it.
Every car has problems which is understandable. But what im askin is with good maintenance and regular service you think this car would be a lot of problems for me? I am 20 years old this is going to be my baby.

Any replies would be appreciated Thanks.

(ps This place looks like its full of good info i cant wait to snoop around for mod ideas)
Old 04-07-2007, 11:58 PM

CL500 AMG
Wrong section i know...... sorry

Originally Posted by MJ'sCL
Hello Guys and Girls... I just got a 2001 cl500 amg. After reading some of your problems with this car im a little worried about my choice. I love the looks, size ,and stance of the ride But now i think im going to be forking over stupid ammounts of cash with it.
Every car has problems which is understandable. But what im askin is with good maintenance and regular service you think this car would be a lot of problems for me? I am 20 years old this is going to be my baby.

(ps This place looks like its full of good info i cant wait to snoop around for mod ideas)
Old 04-08-2007, 03:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by MJ'sCL

The best thing you can do is to immediately get an extended warranty if you don't have one already. Good maintenance and regular service should be done on these cars regardless, but things WILL pop up that are expensive, and you can either pay thousands on repair bills, or pay a $200.00 deductible instead.

My car has been almost entirely trouble free, but just this weekend I got the dreaded ABC warning. The car has 40k miles on it. So, Monday I'll bring it in for a B service, and have whatever is wrong with the ABC fixed. I also have a cracked washer fluid reservoir, TPMS is not functioning properly (I just got new tires, maybe the sensors were not reinstalled properly), and my front strut bushings need to be replaced (they're cracked). Aside from the B service, I could be facing a repair bill of several thousand dollars. Instead, I'll happily pay the $200.00 deductible and maybe buy another Panerai instead.

GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY. It'll cost you 2-3 thousand now, or much more later.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CL600, 2006 Suburban Z71, 2007 911 Cab.
Which warranty do you have V8PLUS4? Do you take your car to the MB dealer for service? I'm also in agreement about the Panerai. I got my first PAM111 six months ago and now I'm hooked.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by AquamanSC
Which warranty do you have V8PLUS4? Do you take your car to the MB dealer for service? I'm also in agreement about the Panerai. I got my first PAM111 six months ago and now I'm hooked.
I have a TotalCare warranty from Easy Care. I bought it when my car (02 CL600) had 38k miles on it. 48 months/100k miles total coverage, basically bumper to bumper. Service and repairs are done at my MB dealer.

This was the only warranty I could find for a 600. I bought it from the dealership where I purchased the car, Atlanta Classic Cars. It was expensive, $4,000.00, but I'm certain it will more than pay for itself over time. And, you can't put a price on peace of mind, right?

The 111 is definitely a classic. I'm thinking of a Radiomir 098 GMT Alarm for my next one. Wearing the 140 on rubber strap today.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:05 PM

CL500 AMG
Yeah i had to change the bushings in my other ride at about the same mileage. And it was barly driven, if this tank treats me like the Bavarian machine i got parked now i will be MORE then happy.
Thanks for the input guys. I will definetly grab some ext. warranty