CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

CL vs. S-CLASS body style- help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CL vs. S-CLASS body style- help!

I know body style is really a matter of individual taste and opinion, but I'd still like to get others to share their viewpoints who already have owned one or both or are in my same position .

I am back in the market after selling my old S-class and am faced with a tough decision in which I am going insane going back & forth daily between a tricked-out S or CL-class (both would have the same color, bodykit, wheels, etc.). All I know is that I need to stay with a 4-seater, otherwise the SL would be IT!

Price and practicality not being an issue, what would be the reasons one would pick the CL over the S-class? In other words, which class has more exclusivity, has more "presence" on the road, is more aesthetically pleasing (gets more looks), and, most of all, hold a better resale value?

Another thing to mess up my decision even more: In 2005, the ALL-NEW S-CLASS will be coming out to replace the current body..and in 06, the current CL will be replaced as well! So, if I commit to either now, put all the bells and whistles in it, and in 2-3 years want to dump it for the new body style, I'll be taking another bath like I just did on my last S-class?....hmmmmm...

I hate this!
Old 10-06-2002, 07:59 PM

my vote goes to the CL
Old 10-06-2002, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
CL without a doubt.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:47 AM

2003 CL55
The CL has more presence, IMO. Having driven one for about a year, my experience is that it commands attention from surrounding vehicles. The fact that it is just over 4000 lbs. yet even in the 500 version can sprint relative to the vast majority of cars, makes driving it a very comfortable experience. Although it is a large car, its elegance counters the mass. The ABC keeps the tires planted in corners with bumps when other cars typically slow down to ease the oscillation that they encounter. The CL negotiates such corners with ease. Of course the ABC S class will be similar. Finally, the two back seats are quite usable for all but those who have difficulty sitting in any vechile, as the doors open widely and the head, leg and shoulder room is ample.
I am getting the 03 CL 55, despite the fact that my 02 CL 500 Sport has been a very practical and satisfying automobile. Not a wise financial move, but with cars like this one can more easily put aside such considerations.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:57 AM

dont bother getting S or CL

get SL !!!!!
its more valueable
it will not be replcaed until the next 10 years

beside its one of the most beautiful car in the road

dont worry that it only has 2 seats.....if you can afford an SL why dont you buy an e-class and SL

the e for family
the SL for you

u will get more looks with SL than with Cl or the boring S

if i were you i would no doubt get the SL
Old 10-08-2002, 02:48 AM

I love th styling on the SL. It is fabulous, but I like the larger, masculine car though. I am single, no family, but need to have seats in the back when people come in from out of town (which is all the time here in Vegas). I really don't need 2 cars. Too bad the CL won't be offred with a auto hardtop like the SL, only a ragtop, and may not even make it to the States from what I hear.