lubricating ball joints???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 CL 500 sport, 97 Widebody NSX-T, 04 996 C4S, 02 528i sport, 06 GSX-R 600
lubricating ball joints???

Can I do that as a temporary fix to the "creeking" coming from my damn car??? This is getting embarassing

any info about this?

thanks!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
The dealer lubbed mine a couple times. It helped for a few weeks then it came back. The sound reminds me of my old 57 Chevy. Its just drives you crazy when you pull in to a Valet at a restaurant and hear that CREEK.

It does not make much sense but mine stopped doing it when I stopped driving it daily. I know thats not the answer for most. Just bust the dealer
in the chops over it. They are aware of the issue. Get the ball joints replaced
and it is a warranty issue.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
i'll be damned if i notice a creak my self last night, i read this but didn't think it related to me, and sure enough as luck would have it.... i heard it.

and come to think of it, i ALWAYS heard it, but it always sounded Different to me, sounded like something in my trunk falling down or falling over? anyone ever hear that noise?

i hope I'm just paranoid

ALi
Old 12-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
My CL has 2 different noises. And I have heard them in almost every CL I have been in. This includes CL55`s.

1. The "Creek". Its up front and is most noticable when getting in or going over a small speed bump. It seems to only get noticable when its hot and dry and I am driving the car daily. You can hear it by putting your weight on the front end and bouncing the suspension. It will do it the loudest with the first push. Like when you first enter the car. Then is subsides as you try to hear it by loading and unloading the weight up front multiple times.

2. The "Trunk Clunk". Its in the rear. Sounds like the cover for the spare tire or something back there. Most noticable when the car is cold and you give
it a little more than normal gas off the line.
"Blump" is the best description of the sound. I tried putting a moving blanket under the cover for the spare thinking that was the offending part. No change. I think its something in the rear suspension moving around when you come off the line. It is very subtle. But you can hear it.

My CL is a 2000 and is 8 Years old + 65K Miles. The clunk in the trunk has been there since day 1. The Creek showed up at about 35K.

My "creek" is not as bad as some I have heard. But it is embarassing when it does do it. The clunk nobody seems to notice but my son and I who have
experience in driving other Benz Models.

Just some of the quirks of the CL I guess.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by bltserv
My CL has 2 different noises. And I have heard them in almost every CL I have been in. This includes CL55`s.

1. The "Creek". Its up front and is most noticable when getting in or going over a small speed bump. It seems to only get noticable when its hot and dry and I am driving the car daily. You can hear it by putting your weight on the front end and bouncing the suspension. It will do it the loudest with the first push. Like when you first enter the car. Then is subsides as you try to hear it by loading and unloading the weight up front multiple times.

2. The "Trunk Clunk". Its in the rear. Sounds like the cover for the spare tire or something back there. Most noticable when the car is cold and you give
it a little more than normal gas off the line.
"Blump" is the best description of the sound. I tried putting a moving blanket under the cover for the spare thinking that was the offending part. No change. I think its something in the rear suspension moving around when you come off the line. It is very subtle. But you can hear it.

My CL is a 2000 and is 8 Years old + 65K Miles. The clunk in the trunk has been there since day 1. The Creek showed up at about 35K.

My "creek" is not as bad as some I have heard. But it is embarassing when it does do it. The clunk nobody seems to notice but my son and I who have
experience in driving other Benz Models.

Just some of the quirks of the CL I guess.
I believe I have the trunk clunk as you call it in my '02 CL. Try putting the rear window curtain up and see it if goes away. I don't seem to notice it then. Keep me posted.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
I believe I have the trunk clunk as you call it in my '02 CL. Try putting the rear window curtain up and see it if goes away. I don't seem to notice it then. Keep me posted.

might be on to something their

ALi