CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

DISABLE TCP (Tire Pressure Control) PERMANENTLY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CL500
DISABLE TCP (Tire Pressure Control) PERMANENTLY?

I was hoping someone might know the answer. The dealers in San Diego refuse to disable the TCP system on my 2002 CL500 - they claim it's illegal (It's not - my car as a 2002, is not covered by the stupid Federal Rules).

I took the car to an independant dealer who hooked the car up to the computer and in two separate areas of the system put in a notation that the System was "Not Active".

The warnings that would come up while I drive are gone, but every time I start the car the display says: "Tire Pressure Control System inactive, Activate!" or something to that effect.

Does anyone care to give me a hint on how to kill the final warning message? Do I need to disconnect the module that is below the floor on the passenger side (I think?). Is there a THIRD place in the computer software that creates this start up warning message?

THANKS!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 500
Originally Posted by jcarlosfox
I was hoping someone might know the answer. The dealers in San Diego refuse to disable the TCP system on my 2002 CL500 - they claim it's illegal (It's not - my car as a 2002, is not covered by the stupid Federal Rules).

I took the car to an independant dealer who hooked the car up to the computer and in two separate areas of the system put in a notation that the System was "Not Active".

The warnings that would come up while I drive are gone, but every time I start the car the display says: "Tire Pressure Control System inactive, Activate!" or something to that effect.

Does anyone care to give me a hint on how to kill the final warning message? Do I need to disconnect the module that is below the floor on the passenger side (I think?). Is there a THIRD place in the computer software that creates this start up warning message?

THANKS!
Weird. I bought a 2001 CL500 which came without the sensors altogether but would still give me a message every ride. MBSD disabled it in the computer after me signing off that I wanted this 'security feature' disabled - they wanted to charge like $120 or so. Problem fixed ever since.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:02 PM

2002 CL500
Well, MBSD and Escondido have both told me that they won't disable a "safety feature". I went ahead and disconnected the TPC module (under the carpet - forward - on the passenger side under a styrofoam cover and an aluminum cover.

Now, the TPC warnings are gone - but the new message is: "Defective Display Visit Workshop"

I'm going to pull my hair out!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 500
Not really Mercedes-like service...
Well, technically, now it's defective, so for the next service I would tell them you don't want to spend the money to fix it and have it turned off in the computer.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Why don't you just fix it?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 PM

2002 CL500
Originally Posted by v8plus4
Why don't you just fix it?
Well, I guess I could just fix it - but it's a "feature" I don't like, don't want, and don't need. I can check my own tire pressure. Even when it worked, it was never accurate - sort of a gimmick on a $100K+ car. From what I read in this and other forums, the pre-2004 (or so) Tire Pressure Control was very unreliable, and I've read countless posts of guys spending $3,000 and the problem remains.

Basically, I guess I just don't like someone telling me I have to do something, and that includes my Car, and the dealer...heck, I thought I'd take it to the Mercedes Benz dealer in Tijuana, Mexico (short drive) - but even THEY won't disable the thing.

For now, I reconnected the module under the carpet, so the error display is not so ominous.

If and when I figure it out, I'll post the instuctions so others can benefit from my being so stubborn!

JC