Boot opener or Boot release?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG, CL500, Jag StypeR, SLK200, Aygo, Audi TT
Boot opener or Boot release?!?!

Hi all,

Strange one - just want your thoughts really.......

When i got my CL500 I would push the boot opener button on the remote fob and the boot would open all the way back - straight up right.

After 6 months its opening has become less and less to the point it just release the boot and it sits there barely opened.

I applied WD40 to the joints etc adn whilst it is smoother opening it with the hand, it still does not open completely with the remote button. It just seems to release the boot lock and then you have to use your hand to open it. Its very annoying and as I use the boot regularly to transport IT equipment it so inconvinient.

Anyway - I have a tier 1 warrenty with MB so took it to teh dealer - now they are arguing over words - they say its a BOOT RELEASE system - NOT A BOOT OPENER SYSTEM so in their eyes its functioning correctly. I think this is tosh. I've had 9 mercs now and all 9 opened the boot fully using the remote fob. I personally think its the springs need replacing but why should I pay for this when i have a warrenty?!?!

Just to confirm I DONT have the push button on the boot to close it - all I have is the boot open button on the fob - and if I use the boot switch on the interior door drivers side its the same result - boot only just opens, you have to use your hands to open it fully.

Whats your take on this cause i feel its typical dealership not bothering to help style again - im SOOOOO fed up with Merc these days.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:50 PM

'04 CL500 '08 ML320CDI
There is a way to limit the amount of travel when you open the trunk/boot. Might you have inadvertently "adjusted" this? The control is in the "Settings" menu.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:58 PM

ok so had a look through the settings - cant find it anywhere - can you be more precise as to WHERE in the settings this is?

It would make sens cause its been plugged into Star Diag more times than ive had hot dinners and had settings reset - just dont know where that option is.

CHeers
Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 PM

'04 CL500 '08 ML320CDI
In the "Settings" field find the "Vehicle" submenu; within that there's a "Trunk Limiter On or Off" setting. That's as much as I know - good luck!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Ok so my car doesnt have that option under the vehicle settings - only has 1 option to lock doors automatically.

So I guess im back to the adjusting the springs option again
Old 05-02-2008, 06:19 AM

Moved spring from setting 1 to 2 (basically stretched the spring further) and voila boot opens up fully on pressing button. So much for mercedes knowing their own cars hey. Typical.