CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

ABC functionality questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19 XC90
ABC functionality questions

So does the ABC allow for just a high and low setting aside from "sport"? If so, how high is high and how low is low? Also if I check out a CL for purchase, what should I do to test the ABC? Any information involving this feature would be nice as I am looking at purchasing a CL 500. Anything else to look at/for would be nice to know as well I guess. Thank you All.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:31 PM

2004 CL55
Yes, it does. I do not know the specifics of it but it feels like about a one inch difference or so between the 'low' and the 'high'. See the attached pics. The setting between sport mode and comfort does not change the height, it but instead mostly eliminates pitch and roll from the chassis. There is another button for height adjustment. On the first press it raises just the nose and on the second press it raises the whole car.

My car is lowered (washer method) so the raise and lower feature is even more important. For steep driveways on my car, the raise feature makes all the difference between rubbing the nose and not. Also, the car automatically lowers itself further at speed, so to prevent occasional rubbing on the freeway I can hit the raise button. Normally it would rub every few miles on the freeway but I drove from Stanford to Davis CA last night (about 100 miles all freeway) experienced no rubbing, thanks to the raise car button on the dash.
Attached Thumbnails ABC functionality questions-img_0081.jpg   ABC functionality questions-img_0083.jpg  
Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 PM

19 XC90
Hey, thanks for the reply, good information. So you can raise/lower the car while driving the vehicle? Thanks again!
Old 08-29-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Originally Posted by DiBenz
So does the ABC allow for just a high and low setting aside from "sport"? If so, how high is high and how low is low? Also if I check out a CL for purchase, what should I do to test the ABC? Any information involving this feature would be nice as I am looking at purchasing a CL 500. Anything else to look at/for would be nice to know as well I guess. Thank you All.
RE: ABC height explanation as per MB introduction bulletin:
"If the driver presses (engine must be running) the level button once (Level 1) the CL raises itself by 12 mm (.5")
If he does this a second time (Level 2) the car is raised by a total of 24 mm (1.0") The car if it is at level 2, will gradually lower itself down to Level 1 settings as it approaches 30 km/hr. Level 1 setting is steadily lowered to the original level between 30 km/h and 140 km/h. Note that automatic vehicle lowering from the original vehicle level begins at 60 km/h and will be gradually lowered by 15 mm (.6") at 140 km/h. This works in the opposite fashion as the vehicle reduces the speed."

IOW: The CL has actually 4 different height settings, in addition to the Comfort and Sport settings. Not surprising that there are so many problems with the ABC system...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s65
ABC hoses will always have problems. They are, after all, aging high pressure hydrolic hoses with a 2400lb car hitting bumps and pressurizing them further (well the pump does that but the shocks compressing spikes pressure surly) When they do break, and they will, get it to the shop asap or risk burning up the pump... check service records and ask the owner is the best you can do to tell about abc system... unfortunatly most aftermarket warranties don't cover hoses